Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How To Adjust Driver Side Window Frame?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 03:59 AM
sparky57
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Adjust Driver Side Window Frame?

Getting some wind noise from the front edge (where it meets A pillar) of the driver side window frame on my 993. No wind noise at passenger side. The front and top edges of the window frame on the driver side needs to be moved inward. I'm assuming there is some way to adjust the angle of the window frame, while it's installed in the door. Which specific bolts/screws enable this adjustment? I'm assuming I'll need to remove the door panel to access them, though don't know that for sure.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:09 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

The 911 window frame has not changed much over the years. Here is a video that points out the fasteners that hold the frame in and so where adjustments may be able to be found.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:53 PM
sparky57
Banned

Thanks. Yes it's a decent video on how to remove the window frame. Shows the fasteners. But doesn't tell me which ones adjust the in/out tilt of the upper edge of the window frame. Actually looking at the fasteners in the video I don't see how it's possible to adjust the
tilt of the window frame. Not front to rear tilt, but inward/outward tilt along the top edge of the frame .
Old 07-10-2018, 02:36 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Maybe adding a washer or two to the fasteners or behind the window frame in order to adjust the position of the window frame; otherwise the weatherstripping needs to be replaced.

I strongly suspect this is why the video was provided; so the fastner locations identified for you...

If it's the weather stripping, purchase the weather stripping for a 964, as it is significantly less expensive.

A little ingenuity in this case will go a long way, but I do not recommend the body shop method of adjusting a window frame... they stick a two-by-four in between the door and the door jamb and bend the window frame...Seen it done on more than one occasion.

Last edited by nine9six; 07-14-2018 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:11 PM
sparky57
Banned

Thanks. The weatherstrip is new. It's the position of the frame that is causing the wind noise. The passenger side window frame is set further inward into the door opening when the door is shut, as compared to the driver side. So sounds like there really isn't a way to adjust tilt of the window frame. I'm assuming the only way to position it further inward is to move the entire door further inward? I'll take some photos so that everyone can see what I'm up against.

Originally Posted by nine9six
Maybe adding a washer or two to the fasteners or behind the window frame in order to adjust the position of the window frame; otherwise the weatherstripping needs to be replaced.

I strongly suspect this is why the video was provided; so the faster locations identified for you...

If it's the weather stripping, purchase the weather stripping for a 964, as it is significantly less expensive.

A little ingenuity in this case will go a long way, but I do not recommend the body shop method of adjusting a window frame... they stick a two-by-four in between the door and the door jamb and bend the window frame...Seen it done on more than one occasion.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:56 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

You need to access the bottom of the window frame inside the door. It is pretty close to where the speaker is installed. The angle of the frame is adjusted by installing (or removing) shims between the frame rail and a "block" that it bolts into. After you remove the door card and peel back the vapor barrier, you can follow the frame rail from the leading edge of the window down towards the bottom of the door to find the mounting point.

You will want to loosen all of the other bolts that hold the frame in place, which are accessed by removing the rubber/plastic plugs that are scattered around the door. The idea is to loosen or remove enough hardware to allow the frame to pivot inward when you make the adjustments inside the door with the shims (thin washers), without allowing the entire frame to move fore and aft. It's hard to describe, but pretty easy to do once you dig into things.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:33 AM
PRSWILL
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 291 Posts

Is it coming from the window frame or between the glass and the frame? I adjusted the mechanism in mine a couple of years ago to snug the window into the frame and it really helped a lot and was a LOT less of a PIA than this...
Old 07-14-2018, 04:13 AM
sparky57
Banned

Originally Posted by nine9six

I strongly suspect this is why the video was provided; so the faster locations identified for you...

Thanks Ivan. Any idea on the amount of angle adjustment that is possible? I need the top front corner of the frame to move inward about half an inch.

Originally Posted by Ivan J
You need to access the bottom of the window frame inside the door. It is pretty close to where the speaker is installed. The angle of the frame is adjusted by installing (or removing) shims between the frame rail and a "block" that it bolts into. After you remove the door card and peel back the vapor barrier, you can follow the frame rail from the leading edge of the window down towards the bottom of the door to find the mounting point.

You will want to loosen all of the other bolts that hold the frame in place, which are accessed by removing the rubber/plastic plugs that are scattered around the door. The idea is to loosen or remove enough hardware to allow the frame to pivot inward when you make the adjustments inside the door with the shims (thin washers), without allowing the entire frame to move fore and aft. It's hard to describe, but pretty easy to do once you dig into things.

Quick Reply: How To Adjust Driver Side Window Frame?