RS door cards in 993?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 10:53 AM
cnidus
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS door cards in 993?

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has installed the Rennline RS doorcards on a 993? (RSD-NF-911-06-00)

it lists compatability w/ 65-94. On some of the other doorcards (appbiz etc) they list up to 98, so wondering what the difference is. The rennsport variant list @ $250, half that of Appbiz, so hoping to make them work.

cheers!
Old 07-08-2018, 06:06 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If it were me, I would give rennline a call.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:22 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by cnidus
Hi,

Wondering if anyone has installed the Rennline RS doorcards on a 993? (RSD-NF-911-06-00)

it lists compatability w/ 65-94. On some of the other doorcards (appbiz etc) they list up to 98, so wondering what the difference is. The rennsport variant list @ $250, half that of Appbiz, so hoping to make them work.

cheers!
I believe the 964 through 1994 may have had the traditional 911 door lock **** where the 993 no longer has it. This could explain why the door cards differ a bit.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:39 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 124 Posts

I visited Bob @ Appbiz to pickup a few pieces from his shop for my interior project I will eventually tackle. Nice guy and great craftsmanship as each door card and carpet set is hand assembled and many custom fabricated parts. Given his website doesn't do justice to his goods, I will share what he explained to me how his are different over years of perfecting his trade. Here is one of his guys making a set for me while I waited...

1. The door card material is more water resistant than the OEM ones so are not prone to warping since the door always gets some moisture from rain and washing the car despite having a moisture barrier
2. There is a thin layer of CCF (close cell foam) as sound deadening between the door card and cover material to reduce road noise and vibration
3. The door handle is custom and are made out of steel vs. aluminum so they are stronger
4. The door switch bezel is custom and are made out of stainless steel vs. steel to prevent rusting
5. The door handle hardware are custom anchor nuts so it bolts on solid to the door than to the door card preventing cracks and other deforming of the door card
6. The door card mounts to the door via plastic rivots than screws so you get a cleaner look install

He will you give you a discount being a PCA member and if you are nice he may actually throw in some freebies

Andy is right above where the 964 RSA door card has an extra cut out for the manual door unlock ****. As you know, the 993 door locks are electrical so they don't have the door unlock ****. Other than this feature, there is no difference. The example below is one with the manual window and manual door unlock ****. This is not an appbiz example as there are rivots.

As for the Appbiz door card they come plain with no cutouts other than the door pull on the vinyl or leather material. You can then request the window switch bezels to be installed (which is what the guy is doing above for me). The door card itself has die cut opening for the speaker and other openings if you need them. Here is an example that would look similar to what you would get with an appbiz one on a 993 without the speaker. Given Appbiz makes each set custom ordered, I assume you can send him material to cover them too if you don't want black vinyl or black leather.

Last edited by samurai_k; 07-10-2018 at 12:34 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:22 AM
paulkromz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

nice write up Sam
Old 07-10-2018, 11:11 AM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

That is awesome, thanks for sharing and they look great!
Old 07-10-2018, 04:03 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

+1 on Appbiz,

I got my engine soundpad from him as well, great product. since they are local, I drove over and picked it up, got a tour of how he manufactures stuff, really cool!
Old 07-11-2018, 04:23 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

RS door cards looks the part but don't You miss the possibility to store small stuff in the door pockets?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:21 AM
kingroon
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 99 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by cnidus
Yep I have, check out my Blog at https://kingroon.blog/2018/05/15/inside-job/

I used a UK based guy, with not as much success as I was hoping, and having tried and agreed to get what I actually wanted/ordered, he has now dropped off the face of the earth..

The main problem is the Door Shut Handle attachment.. I have never seen an genuine RS door without the Card on, so do not know how Porsche did it originally..
Old 07-18-2018, 10:57 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

@kingroon you will need to drill some holes into the door and use some one time use Jack nuts to anchor the nut into the door frame (the Appbiz ones come with these and an install tool as a FYI). Once you do that then you can bolt the door handle into the door frame like your factory door card handle so it is secure and doesn't put any stress on the door card when you pull on the handle to close the door.
Attached Images  
Old 07-18-2018, 11:07 AM
kingroon
Racer

Originally Posted by samurai_k
@kingroon you will need to drill some holes into the door and use some one time use Jack nuts to anchor the nut into the door frame (the Appbiz ones come with these and an install tool as a FYI). Once you do that then you can bolt the door handle into the door frame like your factory door card handle so it is secure and doesn't put any stress on the door card when you pull on the handle to close the door.
Yep, did that, but was just a little unimpressed with the result.. Is this how the genuine 993RS Door Pulls are attached..?
Old 07-18-2018, 11:21 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Oh ok. What are you unimpressed with? How secure the handle is attached to the door or the handle itself or both?
Old 07-18-2018, 11:26 AM
kingroon
Racer

Oh ok. What are you unimpressed with? How secure the handle is attached to the door or the handle itself or both?
Unimpressed with the Jacknut solution, it doesn't seem very Porsche, seems a bit of a hack..?

Having a quick look on D911, the schematic shows a Bolt & Sleeve that must thread directly into the Inside Door Skin..? https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod1...93-Carrera-RS/ [15, 16 & 24]

PS Having a read of your "Wrench Log" and absolute love it!
Old 07-18-2018, 11:33 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

I guess you could tap the holes and then put a threaded insert in sort of like a way you do a helicoil.

Bob explained the history behind these doors started as a hack by the factory team. They needed to lighten the car so they slapped on some panels and got some Alfa or Fiat (can't remember of the two) they had laying around and put them on.

Given these panels were not standard on all cars, the mounting holes are not on the standard door frame, and probably installed afterward. Can't imagine them tack welding nuts as you would need to do it from the inside of the door which would mean they would have to be welded when the door frame is made the first time.

Last edited by samurai_k; 07-18-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:53 AM
kingroon
Racer

I guess you could tap the holes and then put a threaded insert in sort of like a way you do a helicoil.
Yeah, not a bad idea..! I've done similar on Mountain Bike Derailleur Hangers when they have threaded etc.

Was thinking maybe you could tack a Nut to the Inner Door Skin, then bolt direct to that..?

Alternatively..

https://www.ukfastenerservices.co.uk...DED-p105850626

..?

Quick Reply: RS door cards in 993?