993 Forum 1995-1998

Aftermarket top replacement help and my new K1 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 03:15 AM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Aftermarket top replacement help and my new K1 suspension

Im back for more good advice from fellow 993 cab owners! My 1997 C4 needs a new top. The top has developed a very small hole right over the drivers door. I could prob leave it and wait until the top develops more wear spots but i'm too OCD and I've put too much into this car over the last few years to have a hole in the top. The problem is that i replaced the original top 10/12 with a Gahh top at a local shop to the tune of 1750 with tax. Does anyone know anything about the tops from autotopsdirect or german auto tops that I've seen on a few of the threads? a new Gahh top is 1100 and the later 560. Im just wondering about quality, fit, etc or autotopsdirect and german auto tops? A couple of the reputable shops i've called use and recommend Gahh. But if these things only last 5-6 years?!? Any experience you guys have is much appreciated! On a separate note the new hole is likely due to worn out elastic straps which don't pull the top back properly when i put it down....i have new ones on order.

On a separate note i made a decision on suspension and had a KW V1 coilover suspension installed a few weeks ago. i appreciate all the input from fellow rennlisters. I had my installer here in KC lower the car to ROW height. I've prob put about 150 miles on the car since the new suspension was placed and i like it! I'll admit i haven't driven any of the other popular aftermarket suspension set ups with which to compare. It is definitely more stiff than the original but no complaints from me. I also had a Porsche RS strut brace installed. Below is the pic....Im not sold on the ride height...maybe slightly too low?
Old 06-28-2018, 10:26 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a GAHH top and I love mine.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:37 AM
andrewjn
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

The GAHH I put on in 2012 is nice just expensive (1100) compared to similar tops from German auto tops and autotopsdirect (600). If these things have the potential to need replacement every 5-7 years it may make sense to buy a less expensive top if the quality is similar. Does anyone have experience with both or can anyone make a direct comparison?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket top replacement help and my new K1 suspension