Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Another Road Trip Post

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 09:31 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 733 Likes on 522 Posts

Very cool thanks for sharing! My 9yo daughter and I have the same type of relationship and she loves cars so this is something we will be doing as well in the future.
Old 01-09-2019, 09:05 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

Great story with great memories for sure!

I have never heard of Iron Mountain Road. It certainly sounds like one to add to the list!
Old 01-09-2019, 12:31 PM
Oberst
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like a fantastic trip. Well done sir! I am very familiar with that part of the US, but have not been there in a long time. Brought back some good memories. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:45 PM
WRXdriver
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for reading, everyone. It was pretty long.

I love road tripping to and then driving curvy public roads, especially with friends. I even rented some sort of boring Mercedes sedan a couple months ago when I happened to be in LA just to get lunch alone at Newcombs Ranch on Angels Crest. That really made me miss the 993 and it didn’t help when the big turnout at the bottom was filled with a group of aircooleds getting ready for a group drive.

Iron Mountain Road in Black Hills is incredible, the wet conditions were a bonus. Unfortunately it’s pretty hard to find a time when it isn’t choked with RV’s. The pigtails are extra-cool, I feel like I’m in one of my own childhood electric car race sets going around a tight climbing 270* turn right over the road I was just on. 14A following the river through the canyon was beautiful, but the delta between an engaging 993 traveling speed and the posted limit is too high to repeat very often. I was fortunate there was almost no traffic.

September 2019 I’m planning to drive to Nashville. A friend there has a 997.1S, and we’re going to head east and spend a few days chasing each other on and around the Tail of the Dragon.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:39 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by WRXdriver
Thanks, Dingo! I’d sort of forgotten about this thread, but re-read it and was reminded of how much fun that trip was. I’ve followed your 964 DIY rehabilitation/modification thread with great interest. I’m embarrassed to admit a tendency so far to repair mine with a checkbook since I’m simply not willing to give up drive time in the summer and my storage situation in winter is not conducive to major repairs.

Go for the tint! I’m a little self conscious when the car attracts attention on the road and the tint helps me feel more anonymous. The strip along the top of the windshield hides the radar detector which I rarely remove. I’m always glad to help other people spend their hard-earned money, but I don’t believe I’ve ever done so from another hemisphere.
I know what you mean! Glad my thread is of interest to you! Totally understand not wanting to give up the car for long DIY repairs. I have a few things I'm putting off until summer finishes here!

Yes definitely going for tint, I'm exactly the same as you I get quite anxious. Plus I have fair skin and get sunburned easily lol
Joining rennlist has not been good for my wallet haha! So much inspiration on here!

Quick Reply: Another Road Trip Post