Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Alpine Halo 9 inch display in 993

Old 06-13-2018, 03:39 AM
993C2'95
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine Halo 9 inch display in 993

I am the proud owner of a 1995 993 C2 that I enjoy and drive every day. I currently have a Blaupunkt Toronto BT420 head unit to bluetooth connect to my cell phone followed by Pioneer amp, and Focal speakers. The set is great except for the Blaupunkt unit which is pretty low quality in my opinion. Recently, I have wanted to fit the newest Alpine Halo 9 head unit in the vehicle (link below). It's just an amazing head unit and I dream of mounting back up camera, Spotify, Podcast Apps, Tire pressure, and not rely on my phone to display map navigation. Crutchfield said it would not fit but me being stubborn, I still want to see with my own eye. Crutchfield is right, it does not fit. Eventhough Alpine Halo 9 fits most single din radio slots, the screen bumps into the dashboard trim.

That is UNLESS I am able to securely attach the head unit in a way where it protrudes 2 inches forward from the normal installation position, and this way I am able to clear the dashboard trim. Here are my questions:

1) Do any of you know if it is possible at all to securily mount a head unit in such a way that it purposely protrudes forward by ~2 inches from the normal installation position?

2) If I get my way, the whole set up woulld look like this. Would love to get feedback on it. In your view, is this cool to modernize a 25 year car to enjoy modern conveinence given I drive it so much, or is it complete blasphemy?

Thank you for your comments!

https://alpine-usa.com/product/view/...-auto-ilx-f309

Last edited by 993C2'95; 06-13-2018 at 04:07 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:46 AM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the exact same idea as you did, although a few months down the road from now. I think it's a great idea, but it's a bummer it does not fit. I'd love to hear if something can be done to get it to fit.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:10 AM
993C2'95
6th Gear

KraZy007:

1) It's actually really close to fitting. I just need to be able to have the head unit protrude a bit by 1-2 inches. You would not see it once installed because all of it is hidden by the screen. I was doing some research and it seems possible to install a head unit and have it voluntarily protrude. Some people are doing this to install folding screen. Check what these folks were able to do paying attention to the head unit (not the ugly interiror). So engineering wise, there seems to be a solution.

This bring me to my second question:

2) Is this blasphemy? So many people try to keep the look close to originl and here I am putting a huge 9 inch display in the middle of the cockpit.

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=521439
Old 06-13-2018, 11:07 AM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 378 Likes on 236 Posts

You asked - so I'll answer. Yes, it's blasphemy. Upgrade your exhaust and go radio delete instead...

But - it's your car. Do what you want. I do suggest that you take care to make sure that you can restore it to stock at some point in the future.

Good luck.

/
Old 06-13-2018, 11:33 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

I never criticize anyone for their modifications to their 993. Big wings, stripes, audio upgrades.... it's your car and do what makes you happy. I am striving to keep the 993s appearance as OEM as possible. If this is something you want and will enjoy...... go for it. But, as fatmike said, that care to do the installation so that it can be put back to stock without any tale-tail signs.
Old 06-13-2018, 01:11 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

I recently did a headunit upgrade and I based on my experience I don't think there will be a way to securely mount a heavy headunit that is partially inserted into the dash without hacking what is there.

The dash has no threads to use machine screws to secure the head unit like other cars. The stock headunit uses a flimsy sheet metal frame you bend some tabs into the dash which the headunit locks into with some metal tabs when it is fully inserted into the dash.

I looked at a lot of options and you have a few. I landed on a Alpine HD149BT with HD radio and bluetooth as my car is on rotation as a daily driver so I needed a decent system that easily and reliably integrates with my phone for calls, music, and Waze/GPS. Also has a decent DSP/EQ and crossovers built-in so if you integrate external amps is one less piece of audio equipment to consider. Drawback with it ls shiny black faceplate which looks out of place with the rest of the analog interior.

The Continental TR7412UB-OR is a good alternative if you don't go down the path of an amplified system. Looks great as it has an old school look to it so it fits in with the rest of the interior better. Has bluetooth. Drawback with it doesn't have RCA outputs so if you are looking to also add an external amp it may limit your amp choices as you will need to find one with speaker level inputs or find a DSP with speaker level inputs to put in front of the amp.

Lastly, you could delete the headunit altogether and use your phone as one (which is sort of what I am doing now) and get an amp with a DSP/crossovers or a amp and DSP/crossover.

Or do nothing and listen the great sound of the engine

Last edited by samurai_k; 06-14-2018 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:47 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

993C2'95 -
The new Alpine Halo 9 could work. We bought the Halo 9 unit as well back in the initial delivery wave of 2/2018. While purchased for another vehicle I too held the flexible lite-weight screen up to the 993's dashboard; as in your initial post's picture.

Guess is the 1-DIN body of the unit will serve as an anchor, supporting the feather-weight umbilical cord/screen. Gotta luv the units scale-ability of its screen location.

Good luck. OEM spoken here.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:02 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 243 Posts

You must spend a lot of time in your 993 every day to need this..? It's your car so you should add whatever you need to it, but (you asked) I have to say that it looks like a billboard on a historic building... IMO.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (04-21-2020)
Old 06-13-2018, 08:08 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I don't think it's any more blasphemous than any non-oem modification. Heck some extreme collectors see any modification at all undesirable. Our cars are not on that level, so calling one modification blasphemous and another acceptable is really subjective.

Updating some elements of the car to bring it in line with current comforts and technology is essentially what folks like singer do, albiet on an entirely different level altogether.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:19 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

993C2'95 -
Is the new Alpine Halo 9 "Blasphemy" you ask? Kind of, but what the hey you only live once.

A stand-up blasphemy run is installing something from the the sea of low cost aftermarket light show-esq radio's. Zero thought in that selection of radio fitment.
Although I must say,,, outboard 12volt audio signal processors have come a long, long way,,, many of which when coupled with a vintage vehicles stock radio/cassette/CD head unit can be trans-formative. Best of both worlds to have vintage OEM dashboard controls and aesthetic, coupled with modern (active) automotive Hi Fi sonic's & functionality.

Here's a link for an ISO to Alpine wiring dongle. Plug N Play baby ...
www.amazon.com/Alpine-Wiring-Adaptor-Connector-Harness/dp/B00IZFQUNI
Old 06-23-2019, 05:37 PM
kropka
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

Not sure if you were able to install alpine halo9, but there is new radio from pioneer which allows for modular setup. Head unit is separate from the screen. This gives you a lot of freedom with the install. https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...X/DMH-C2500NEX
Old 06-23-2019, 06:44 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 2,713 Posts

It’s your car and you should not care less about my opinion. But you asked for them, so...

I really don’t like it. Period correct head unit or Porsche Classic Nav, IMO.

Better yet - upgrade the exhaust and forget about the radio altogether.
Old 04-21-2020, 01:46 PM
decunfrost
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by kropka
Not sure if you were able to install alpine halo9, but there is new radio from pioneer which allows for modular setup. Head unit is separate from the screen. This gives you a lot of freedom with the install. https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/P...X/DMH-C2500NEX
Thank god I found this thread, I was about to pull the trigger on the ILX-F309. Did anyone try the Pioneer setup? Also, I'd really like to avoid butchering the factory wiring, any direction on wiring harness adapters? I am struggling to find anything, I currently have the "CD-2" in my 964.
Old 04-21-2020, 02:14 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

You might be able to use something like 3M Auto Trim Tape between the back of the display screen and the dash to hold the head unit in place...
Old 04-21-2020, 02:31 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

It seems like a lot of intervention to the interior lines of the dash. My phone propped up over the tachometer works great for navigation when driving in unexplored territory,
Other than for that purpose I see no reason for a large display. I had a moment when I thought of the idea of a larger display but the moment passed and I didn't miss it.
Years ago there was an extra-wide center console option for our cars that today could be purposed for a large display, but even it looked odd in our cars.
Andy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Alpine Halo 9 inch display in 993