Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Noob 993 owner. CA smog question.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:57 PM
VadGTI
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Noob 993 owner. CA smog question.

EDIT: 6/18 - Resolved on Page 2.

Picked up a '95 993 recently and just took delivery yesterday.

Question for the initiated. My airbox looks like this:

Name:  Z0Rj1SQ.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  46.1 KB

Is not having a cover on it a visual smog fail? The car came with boxes and boxes of parts but I have not had the chance to dig through them all to see if the cover is there and was wondering if I could pass as is.

Last edited by VadGTI; 06-18-2018 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:30 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Pretty sure you can pass smog without an airbox cover, as they'll never look and wouldn't know anything was missing if they did. But a new cover is cheap if you can't. More importantly, make sure you get your engine nice and hot and drive straight to the smog joint.

Now, about that "Carrera RS" badge; if it ain't a real RS, I'd be taking that off first thing. If it is a real RS, you're my hero

Good luck; nice ride, and welcome to Rennlist
Old 06-05-2018, 11:39 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

VadGTI. If you have a issue with no air box cover, I have one you can use. Let me know.. I think you will pass without one. Great looking 993, enjoy it..
Old 06-05-2018, 11:51 PM
Manual991
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 66 Posts

If you're close to costa mesa, newport smog is the place to go. Find out when John is there. You can also do the inspection and license there and skip the dmv. There's a fee but well worth it.

Congrats on the new ride!
Old 06-06-2018, 12:54 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Welcome to the madness. Nice looking 993. I agree, take it in and act as if it is stock. Good chance if they even look at it they won't know what they are looking at..

Originally Posted by Manual991
You can also do the inspection and license there and skip the dmv. There's a fee but well worth it.
That is very cool. The last two cars I bought (both Porsches) from out of state had to be inspected by the CHP.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

There is no way a reputable shop will pass you on the visual. Not only are you missing the air box cover, which will be plainly obvious to any smog checker you go to, but the blower has been replaced by an RS bypass...mine failed because of this alone.

Of course if you are going to somebody shady, these things may be 'overlooked'.
Old 06-06-2018, 03:54 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 191 Posts

Buy a motor sound cover for it. $150 bucks. I passed twice now in Cali with no heater blower.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:22 PM
VadGTI
Instructor

Originally Posted by C4SJOHN
VadGTI. If you have a issue with no air box cover, I have one you can use. Let me know.. I think you will pass without one. Great looking 993, enjoy it..
Thanks! I'll dig through the massive parts haul and see if it's in there and may take you up on the offer if it's missing .

Originally Posted by Manual991
If you're close to costa mesa, newport smog is the place to go. Find out when John is there. You can also do the inspection and license there and skip the dmv. There's a fee but well worth it.

Congrats on the new ride!
I'm in the Valley, but can try to get down there. Hopefully they're open on weekends. Was planning on doing the VIN verification at AAA, but might as well just kill two birds with one stone.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
There is no way a reputable shop will pass you on the visual. Not only are you missing the air box cover, which will be plainly obvious to any smog checker you go to, but the blower has been replaced by an RS bypass...mine failed because of this alone.

Wow, didn't realize that was considered part of the car's emissions equipment. Hopefully no one notices .

Originally Posted by 911F1
Buy a motor sound cover for it. $150 bucks. I passed twice now in Cali with no heater blower.
This makes me feel a little better. I've been seeing references to the motor sound cover in my Google searches. How is it different from the regular cover?
Old 06-06-2018, 05:32 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by VadGTI
Thanks! I'll dig through the massive parts haul and see if it's in there and may take you up on the offer if it's missing .

I'm in the Valley, but can try to get down there. Hopefully they're open on weekends. Was planning on doing the VIN verification at AAA, but might as well just kill two birds with one stone.

Wow, didn't realize that was considered part of the car's emissions equipment. Hopefully no one notices .

This makes me feel a little better. I've been seeing references to the motor sound cover in my Google searches. How is it different from the regular cover?

Motor sound cover has holes in it, non motor sound does not. Gives a bit deeper growl with the holes in the airbox, one of the reasons some people remove the cover. Others flip the cover over and drill holes using the pattern printed on the back.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:14 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

if ya wanna speak of unscrupulous, just start at DMV, and understand that CA smog requirements do little to reduce harmful emissions, and have a whole bunch to do with $$$$$
youd be mistaken about the heater tube bypass. Has nothing to do with emissions.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:36 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

AAA was not able to do the VIN verification for me. I had local law enforcement do it, but the form was not filled out correctly and AAA would not accept it, given the mistake. Ended up at DMV for that and registration after I had passed smog.

PS -- that car has a nice mean and aggressive look. But I'd lose the "RS" emblem. Unless, of course, it is an RS.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:11 PM
VadGTI
Instructor

So I'm going to try to get it smogged this weekend. Here are some more pics I have. Aside from the airbox lid and RS bypass, is there anything else problematic for smog purposes that anyone else can see? I'm somewhat concerned by the visible plugged-up port on the intake manifold in pic 1, but don't know what it originally connected to.

Name:  Ly4ekz6.jpg
Size:  110.5 KB

Name:  gOTdZpB.jpg
Size:  105.1 KB

Name:  mgr79lc.jpg
Size:  73.1 KB

Name:  ki1nen3.jpg
Size:  135.6 KB
Old 06-12-2018, 07:12 PM
VadGTI
Instructor

Also, doesn't look like I can PM. If it's just the airbox cover, C4SJOHN, maybe I could borrow yours for a quick smog if you're going to the Pelican Parts Cars and Coffee?
Old 06-12-2018, 08:04 PM
silvewrc2s
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Half the people don't even do the visual check, since they have no idea what goes on in these cars. Just remember to have the engine hot and have some serious miles on it if you have changed the battery lately.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:16 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by VadGTI
Also, doesn't look like I can PM. If it's just the airbox cover, C4SJOHN, maybe I could borrow yours for a quick smog if you're going to the Pelican Parts Cars and Coffee?
See you bright and early on Saturday
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noob 993 owner. CA smog question.