Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   993 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum-58/)
-   -   Noob 993 owner. CA smog question. (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/1073120-noob-993-owner-ca-smog-question.html)

VadGTI 06-05-2018 08:57 PM

Noob 993 owner. CA smog question.

1 Attachment(s)
EDIT: 6/18 - Resolved on Page 2.

Picked up a '95 993 recently and just took delivery yesterday.

https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram...OTI0MQ%3D%3D.2

Question for the initiated. My airbox looks like this:

Attachment 1350216

Is not having a cover on it a visual smog fail? The car came with boxes and boxes of parts but I have not had the chance to dig through them all to see if the cover is there and was wondering if I could pass as is.

goofballdeluxe 06-05-2018 09:30 PM

Pretty sure you can pass smog without an airbox cover, as they'll never look and wouldn't know anything was missing if they did. But a new cover is cheap if you can't. More importantly, make sure you get your engine nice and hot and drive straight to the smog joint.

Now, about that "Carrera RS" badge; if it ain't a real RS, I'd be taking that off first thing. If it is a real RS, you're my hero :bowdown:

Good luck; nice ride, and welcome to Rennlist :cheers:

C4SJOHN 06-05-2018 11:39 PM

VadGTI. If you have a issue with no air box cover, I have one you can use. Let me know.. I think you will pass without one. Great looking 993, enjoy it..

Manual991 06-05-2018 11:51 PM

If you're close to costa mesa, newport smog is the place to go. Find out when John is there. You can also do the inspection and license there and skip the dmv. There's a fee but well worth it.

Congrats on the new ride!

Chuck W. 06-06-2018 12:54 AM

Welcome to the madness. Nice looking 993. I agree, take it in and act as if it is stock. Good chance if they even look at it they won't know what they are looking at..

Originally Posted by Manual991 (Post 15059172)
You can also do the inspection and license there and skip the dmv. There's a fee but well worth it.

That is very cool. The last two cars I bought (both Porsches) from out of state had to be inspected by the CHP.

Alan Smithee 06-06-2018 03:11 PM

There is no way a reputable shop will pass you on the visual. Not only are you missing the air box cover, which will be plainly obvious to any smog checker you go to, but the blower has been replaced by an RS bypass...mine failed because of this alone.

Of course if you are going to somebody shady, these things may be 'overlooked'.

911F1 06-06-2018 03:54 PM

Buy a motor sound cover for it. $150 bucks. I passed twice now in Cali with no heater blower.

VadGTI 06-06-2018 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by C4SJOHN (Post 15059145)
VadGTI. If you have a issue with no air box cover, I have one you can use. Let me know.. I think you will pass without one. Great looking 993, enjoy it..

Thanks! I'll dig through the massive parts haul and see if it's in there and may take you up on the offer if it's missing :).

Originally Posted by Manual991 (Post 15059172)
If you're close to costa mesa, newport smog is the place to go. Find out when John is there. You can also do the inspection and license there and skip the dmv. There's a fee but well worth it.

Congrats on the new ride!

I'm in the Valley, but can try to get down there. Hopefully they're open on weekends. Was planning on doing the VIN verification at AAA, but might as well just kill two birds with one stone.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee (Post 15060494)
There is no way a reputable shop will pass you on the visual. Not only are you missing the air box cover, which will be plainly obvious to any smog checker you go to, but the blower has been replaced by an RS bypass...mine failed because of this alone.

Wow, didn't realize that was considered part of the car's emissions equipment. Hopefully no one notices :).

Originally Posted by 911F1 (Post 15060598)
Buy a motor sound cover for it. $150 bucks. I passed twice now in Cali with no heater blower.

This makes me feel a little better. I've been seeing references to the motor sound cover in my Google searches. How is it different from the regular cover?

Kika 06-06-2018 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by VadGTI (Post 15060809)
Thanks! I'll dig through the massive parts haul and see if it's in there and may take you up on the offer if it's missing :).

I'm in the Valley, but can try to get down there. Hopefully they're open on weekends. Was planning on doing the VIN verification at AAA, but might as well just kill two birds with one stone.

Wow, didn't realize that was considered part of the car's emissions equipment. Hopefully no one notices :).

This makes me feel a little better. I've been seeing references to the motor sound cover in my Google searches. How is it different from the regular cover?

Motor sound cover has holes in it, non motor sound does not. Gives a bit deeper growl with the holes in the airbox, one of the reasons some people remove the cover. Others flip the cover over and drill holes using the pattern printed on the back.

OverBoosted28 06-07-2018 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee (Post 15060494)

if ya wanna speak of unscrupulous, just start at DMV, and understand that CA smog requirements do little to reduce harmful emissions, and have a whole bunch to do with $$$$$
youd be mistaken about the heater tube bypass. Has nothing to do with emissions.

inkatouring 06-07-2018 01:36 PM

AAA was not able to do the VIN verification for me. I had local law enforcement do it, but the form was not filled out correctly and AAA would not accept it, given the mistake. Ended up at DMV for that and registration after I had passed smog.

PS -- that car has a nice mean and aggressive look. But I'd lose the "RS" emblem. Unless, of course, it is an RS.

VadGTI 06-12-2018 07:11 PM

4 Attachment(s)
So I'm going to try to get it smogged this weekend. Here are some more pics I have. Aside from the airbox lid and RS bypass, is there anything else problematic for smog purposes that anyone else can see? I'm somewhat concerned by the visible plugged-up port on the intake manifold in pic 1, but don't know what it originally connected to.

Attachment 1350166

Attachment 1350167

Attachment 1350168

Attachment 1350169

VadGTI 06-12-2018 07:12 PM

Also, doesn't look like I can PM. If it's just the airbox cover, C4SJOHN, maybe I could borrow yours for a quick smog if you're going to the Pelican Parts Cars and Coffee?

silvewrc2s 06-12-2018 08:04 PM

Half the people don't even do the visual check, since they have no idea what goes on in these cars. Just remember to have the engine hot and have some serious miles on it if you have changed the battery lately.

PelicanParts.com 06-13-2018 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by VadGTI (Post 15074321)
Also, doesn't look like I can PM. If it's just the airbox cover, C4SJOHN, maybe I could borrow yours for a quick smog if you're going to the Pelican Parts Cars and Coffee?

See you bright and early on Saturday :cheers: