Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Looking to get a little Power....

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 10:50 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Looking to get a little Power....

Have a Stock 95, Was Gonna Have Fister Cans II, Gut cat to 200 cell, Maybe RS Webcams & Wong Chip.

All Too look Stock & not too Loud.

Anyone do Similar?

Old 06-01-2018, 11:21 PM
IHTFP
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Sport cats with Fisters will be loud, like 68 Vette with sidepipes loud. I had that setup and it drew attention. (100 cell cats and Fister I)

i recommend you send your cats and mufflers to Gert for the 200 cell cat inserts and RSR muffler conversion. The combo sounds amazing.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:32 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have FD Stage IIs, FD 200 Sport Cats, and Rennsport chip. I think the combo sounds great, plus there is a pretty nice weight and heat savings without the OEM boat-anchor cat on there. There's a bit more torque and engine smoothness with the chip. Don't expect major power improvements with these exhaust and chip upgrades. You'd need to spend huge money to get a lot more power out of these motors. Many instead do a tranny re-gear with a LWF to really wake the car up but even that isn't cheap, perhaps $10k as I recall. Just my .02, others can chime in...
Old 06-03-2018, 02:04 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

what others have said, you're not going to get much more power out of a 993 with exhaust and chip. it's a bit of a shame, i'd love more power also but the expense to get significantly more power is just too cost prohibitive. a 964/993 would be simply awesome with 996.2 GT3 type power. on the exhaust side, i run fabspeed 200 cell cats and Fister3 cans. i like what IH said, it truly does have a side pipe/muscle car sound to it. when i try to describe my exhaust note to people, i can't help but to tell them it has a 'muscle car sound, believe it or not'. it sounds more like a muscle car than my '67 GTO does. if i drove the car daily, it would be a bit too much, but when i do drive it it's an event as it's set up. if you can, try to hear a set up locally before you decide on a route. i wanted to hear some 993s before i chose my exhaust and, in the end, it turned into a large 993 gathering in Dallas.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:47 PM
MB965
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I have a Rennsport chip for a 1995, lightly tuned for exhaust changes. It worked great but I later changed the cams and chip.
Mike
Old 06-04-2018, 03:16 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I have RS cams and a flashed ECU, not sure it adds much power per se, but the driveability and fun factor defintely received a boost. I am guessing on a 95, cams and a chip would be similar. I am also running 200 cell cats, into motor sound, so not overly loud, great note though.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:44 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks for the Responses, Looks like I was on track (&budget) So Chip, Cats, FD & Maybe Cams$$......
Old 06-04-2018, 09:05 PM
fatmike
Three Wheelin'

Received 378 Likes on 236 Posts

if you want to significantly improve the car, the best path is: gearing

And an RS (lightweight) flywheel and lightweight wheels to complement the gearing.

This combo doesn't actually improve the power, but the car will drive like it has 50 more HP.

Good luck.

/
Old 06-05-2018, 03:39 PM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Steve Wong chip on my '95 Carrera 4, non-Varioram, for a while and I found that it did give the engine more torque at low revs. I later on switched back to the OEM chip, simply because I like to keep my cars 100% original.

If you're interested, you can have the chip for $200 plus shipping. It is a chip for 95 RON or higher / standard flywheel / Porsche anti-theft system.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:37 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Tell me a little more about gearing options- the idea is simply to use shorter gearing for better acceleration at the expense of top speed? Where can one get this done?
Old 06-06-2018, 12:35 AM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by fatmike

And an RS (lightweight) flywheel and lightweight wheels to complement the gearing.

This combo doesn't actually improve the power, but the car will drive like it has 50 more HP.

Good luck.

/
I can't speak to the gearing -- seems like a lot of money to me -- but a lightweight flywheel is a must-add slippery-slope mod for most performance cars, including a 993. Had them in both prior 993s and will in this one soon! Doesn't add any hp, but frees-up the motor to rev and rev and rev. Makes the motor so docile!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:01 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
I can't speak to the gearing -- seems like a lot of money to me -- but a lightweight flywheel is a must-add slippery-slope mod for most performance cars, including a 993. Had them in both prior 993s and will in this one soon! Doesn't add any hp, but frees-up the motor to rev and rev and rev. Makes the motor so docile!
200 cell cats, RS cams, RS ECU map and LWF makes for a motor that revs to readline smoothly and quickly. I I haven't tried any 100 octane yet, but one of these days...Test pipes would certianly contribute, as would re-gear. Its the sume of the parts. each mod contributes.

Yes, re-gear is pricey, but nothing about these cars isn't, how much is your personal enjoyment worth?

It is very expensive to add lots of power to a 993, however there are a lot of great mods that enhance driveability and "fun factor" While I probably haven't added much torque or HP, overall, the mods I have done are a drastic improvement to the the stock 993 I originally purchased and while I haven't dyno'd the car, my butt dyno tells me that the lower RPM range of the curve has moved up, even if the peak hasn't.
Old 06-08-2018, 10:39 PM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How about a tpc supercharger 😁
Old 06-10-2018, 02:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

regear
add guards LSD while at it
have gamroth add ITB
if u want even more. he has a 3.9L
Old 06-13-2018, 12:49 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by fatmike

Good luck.

/
Mike is right on, gears***...but I do take exception to one little issue. The RS LWF....the Factory RS us the dual mass...that's good enough for me. When you go to the RS, at idle, in neutral, sounds like box of nuts and bolts rattling around in the transmission, depress the clutch and it goes away, but I found the house to be annoying.

​​​​*** Gears do seem like 50 HP, you are always close the the peak torque with no 2nd to 3rd lag. The down side is the expense...could be $10,000 parts and labor. I had mine done about 12 years into ownership, 12 out of 17, in hindsight it was worth every penny...did have the RS LWF, but learned to live with it. If I had to do it over again, I'd mimic what Porsche did with their Factory 993 RS, dual mass and all.

And finally, some 1995 owners\, post LWF install, have complained of stalling...a never desirable event(s).

Quick Reply: Looking to get a little Power....