The anatomy of a CF gear knob - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
993 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The anatomy of a CF gear knob

Reply

Old 05-18-2018, 09:19 AM
  #1  
YellowDieselGolf
User
Thread Starter
 
YellowDieselGolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 125
Default The anatomy of a CF gear ****

I recently refurbed a CF gear **** and flyingchappy's handbrake restoration has prompted me to share the process.

I found a CF gear **** on for sale, but it had seen better days. I paid $200 USD which is a bargain when they're sometimes listed for up to $1500 USD. The PO must have liked jewellery as it was very scratched and rusty. Luckily, the carbon was perfect.



Bits separated with a heat gun. I had to pop the steel insert off with a screwdriver - being very careful not to scratch or bend anything. The aluminium orb is held in with two flathead screws and some silicon type glue. It came loose with a twist from the carbon fibre base.



Reverse sides of parts.



Dings sanded out with 60 grit. Smoothed with 240 or maybe 320.



Blasted with "F24 grit" glass bead grit. The dimples might a bit more coarse than factory, but I'm happy with the improvement. The texture feels nice to the touch.



I gave the pieces a polish, but I didn't like the effect so I re-blasted it.


Gear shift boot recoloured from black with leatherique + A few drops of (violet) paint in the shift pattern and it's done!
YellowDieselGolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:57 AM
  #2  
nine9six
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
nine9six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Socal
Posts: 4,830
Default

Bits separated with a heat gun. I had to pop the steel insert off with a screwdriver
Question: the steel insert you're referring to; is that the gear shift pattern cap, and was that was removed using a heat gun to soften the glue on the underside?
If not, how did you remove the gear shift pattern cap, and is that not aluminum, as well?

TIA,
Paul
nine9six is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:13 AM
  #3  
YellowDieselGolf
User
Thread Starter
 
YellowDieselGolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 125
Default

Hi Paul,
Sorry if i was a bit unclear.

The bottom section appears to be aluminium. The engraved top section appears to be steel and it is very heavy.



I softened the orange glue with a heat gun. Once the steel cap was a little bit loose, I carefully inserted a flat screwdriver into the gap and gently twisted - repeating around the perimeter of the cap in order to pry it off. The outer edge of the steel insert is thin so I went very slowly in order not to bend or damage the metal.

Once the cap is removed, the aluminium base is secured to the carbon fibre base with two screws (not pictured) and some more glue. Remove the screws and twist the carbon and metal apart.

I used a few drops of silicon to reassemble.

Hope this helps.
YellowDieselGolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:38 PM
  #4  
flyingchappy
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
flyingchappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lehigh Valley
Posts: 790
Default

Nice work on the ****! The bead blasting is key.
flyingchappy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 05:44 PM
  #5  
waizone
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
waizone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Diego
Posts: 720
Default

Nice work. Have the same set up and mine is nicked as well (shift ****). Would love to have this done. What did you blast it with? Did you also refinish?
waizone is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:59 PM
  #6  
YellowDieselGolf
User
Thread Starter
 
YellowDieselGolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NSW, Australia
Posts: 125
Default

I don't have a sand blasting cabinet (yet!) so I bought one of these:


Combined with glass beads
YellowDieselGolf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:38 PM
  #7  
nine9six
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
nine9six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Socal
Posts: 4,830
Default

Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf View Post
Hi Paul,
Sorry if i was a bit unclear.

The bottom section appears to be aluminium. The engraved top section appears to be steel and it is very heavy.



I softened the orange glue with a heat gun. Once the steel cap was a little bit loose, I carefully inserted a flat screwdriver into the gap and gently twisted - repeating around the perimeter of the cap in order to pry it off. The outer edge of the steel insert is thin so I went very slowly in order not to bend or damage the metal.

Once the cap is removed, the aluminium base is secured to the carbon fibre base with two screws (not pictured) and some more glue. Remove the screws and twist the carbon and metal apart.

I used a few drops of silicon to reassemble.

Hope this helps.
​​​​​​Thank you so very much for your detailed description!
nine9six is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: