Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

The anatomy of a CF gear knob

Old 05-18-2018, 09:19 AM
YellowDieselGolf
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Default The anatomy of a CF gear ****

I recently refurbed a CF gear **** and flyingchappy's handbrake restoration has prompted me to share the process.

I found a CF gear **** on for sale, but it had seen better days. I paid $200 USD which is a bargain when they're sometimes listed for up to $1500 USD. The PO must have liked jewellery as it was very scratched and rusty. Luckily, the carbon was perfect.

Bits separated with a heat gun. I had to pop the steel insert off with a screwdriver - being very careful not to scratch or bend anything. The aluminium orb is held in with two flathead screws and some silicon type glue. It came loose with a twist from the carbon fibre base.

Reverse sides of parts.

Dings sanded out with 60 grit. Smoothed with 240 or maybe 320.

Blasted with "F24 grit" glass bead grit. The dimples might a bit more coarse than factory, but I'm happy with the improvement. The texture feels nice to the touch.

I gave the pieces a polish, but I didn't like the effect so I re-blasted it.

Gear shift boot recoloured from black with leatherique + A few drops of (violet) paint in the shift pattern and it's done!
Old 05-18-2018, 09:57 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Bits separated with a heat gun. I had to pop the steel insert off with a screwdriver
Question: the steel insert you're referring to; is that the gear shift pattern cap, and was that was removed using a heat gun to soften the glue on the underside?
If not, how did you remove the gear shift pattern cap, and is that not aluminum, as well?

TIA,
Paul
Old 05-18-2018, 10:13 AM
YellowDieselGolf
Instructor

Hi Paul,
Sorry if i was a bit unclear.

The bottom section appears to be aluminium. The engraved top section appears to be steel and it is very heavy.

I softened the orange glue with a heat gun. Once the steel cap was a little bit loose, I carefully inserted a flat screwdriver into the gap and gently twisted - repeating around the perimeter of the cap in order to pry it off. The outer edge of the steel insert is thin so I went very slowly in order not to bend or damage the metal.

Once the cap is removed, the aluminium base is secured to the carbon fibre base with two screws (not pictured) and some more glue. Remove the screws and twist the carbon and metal apart.

I used a few drops of silicon to reassemble.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:38 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice work on the ****! The bead blasting is key.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:44 PM
waizone
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice work. Have the same set up and mine is nicked as well (shift ****). Would love to have this done. What did you blast it with? Did you also refinish?
Old 05-18-2018, 06:59 PM
YellowDieselGolf
Instructor

I don't have a sand blasting cabinet (yet!) so I bought one of these:

Combined with glass beads
Old 05-18-2018, 11:38 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowDieselGolf
Hi Paul,
Sorry if i was a bit unclear.

The bottom section appears to be aluminium. The engraved top section appears to be steel and it is very heavy.

I softened the orange glue with a heat gun. Once the steel cap was a little bit loose, I carefully inserted a flat screwdriver into the gap and gently twisted - repeating around the perimeter of the cap in order to pry it off. The outer edge of the steel insert is thin so I went very slowly in order not to bend or damage the metal.

Once the cap is removed, the aluminium base is secured to the carbon fibre base with two screws (not pictured) and some more glue. Remove the screws and twist the carbon and metal apart.

I used a few drops of silicon to reassemble.

Hope this helps.
​​​​​​Thank you so very much for your detailed description!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The anatomy of a CF gear knob