993 Forum 1995-1998

Whew!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 11:48 PM
WRXdriver
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Whew!

I was almost rear ended today in the 993 and wouldn’t care as much if my daughter hadn’t been with me. In Minnesota there’s been a big push to educate drivers on crosswalk etiquette, specifically that vehicles must yield to pedestrians crossing in marked crosswalks. I was going 35mph (speed limit) in the right lane and up ahead saw a lady and her son standing on the median trying to cross. The Rav4 behind me was multiple car lengths back so I gently slowed to a stop. The pickup next to me blew right by them and so did the car behind him, but next car in left lane stopped next to me. I glanced in the rearview mirror and the RAV4 driver behind me was crushing the brakes, her face dominated by her mouth in a huge “O” shape. She probably stopped 18” off my bumper, but that’s way too close in a panic stop. In retrospect it occurs to me that her abnormally long following distance was because she hadn’t noticed the previous light turn green until I was well away. She gave me the finger.

The mom and kid waved politely and crossed without incident.

Sorry for rant, but LEO’s here are making a big deal about crosswalks and villainizing idiot drivers who fail to yield. They never mention the risk of stopping, which I’m acutely aware of. I’m a huge believer in right if way; when it’s yours I yield but if it’s mine I take it. Drivers here are always directing traffic with waves and gestures because they don’t remember the rules or can’t apply them in real time. That makes me crazy. I hate to see pedestrians stranded on a median with cars zipping by, so to avoid being a hypocrite I stop as required whenever I can safely do so. It hasn’t been an issue before, but this time, right when I think it’s a perfect opportunity to respect right of way, my beautiful daughter nearly pays the price. I’m also upset with myself because I’m usually very vigilant watching the vehicles behind me so I can pull forward if they need more room.

Much less serious but a few minutes before this this I picked my daughter up at dance class. I got there a little early and was waiting outside backed into the center of a stall with the windows down and the engine off. A soccer mom pulled in next to me, situating her minivan diagonally well into my parking spot. She was several Bigmacs beyond her ideal weight and there was no way she was going to be able to squeeze out of her door. She saw me sitting right there a foot away, but rather then move her car she just kept slowly opening her door. In disbelief I reached out and wrapped my fingers around my mirror just before she hit it, providing an uncomfortable paint-protecting buffer. She muttered an insincere, “whoops” and waddled off toward the dance studio still talking on her phone. Classy. I park all my cars in distant end spots when leaving them unattended, but thought mid-row would be okay with me sitting in it.

Anyway really glad my daughter is safe, and also that the car is still car-shaped. Be safe everyone, and thanks for the LED tails, Tore!

<end rant>
Old 05-16-2018, 08:24 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

Don't cha just love when people shoot you the finger? So classy. I typically just "Blow Them a Kiss Back." Can't sweat the small stuff in life. Glad you didn't get crushed!
Old 05-16-2018, 10:19 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That yielding to pedestrians rule is really dangerous, especially in our small cars where you might not even see the pedestrians at all. Traffic moving at 30-40mph stopping for no apparent reason is dangerous for everyone concerned.
Old 05-16-2018, 11:56 AM
ehanauer
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

That’s been the law in California for many years.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:18 PM
gavonder
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

As a driver & a pedestrian, I'm much more aware of this than I used to be. For the past few years, we have a dog that we walk at least twice a day. There are a couple crosswalks we use a lot. None of them are in high traffic or high speed limit areas. As a driver, I try to watch for people waiting & stop for them. As a pedestrian, it's very annoying to have to wait or actually "make" the drivers aware & stop. It seems most people don't know the law & just drive by, even if we're in the crosswalk. If you are an aware driver, it's not dangerous to stop for pedestrians.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:49 PM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Start using the 4-way flashers in situations like that.
When the lawyers / insurance companies get involved,
it shows you did everything you could to prevent an incident.
Best wishes
Old 05-18-2018, 12:59 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 491 Likes on 364 Posts

Also the law for many years here in Massachusetts. https://malegislature.gov/Laws/Gener...er89/Section11It’s a $200 fine for failing to yield, and if someone gets hurt the police are required by statute to investigate for civil or criminal infractions.

I’m sure there are a number of fender benders, but the statute saves lives. It’s also a $200 fine incidentally if you slam into someone stopped at a crosswalk, even if the light is green.

Good advice to use the flashers if necessary. This is perhaps one of the best reasons to run with Tore’s LED brake lights (I also have the fog light/ brake light conversion kit for an extra pair of brake lights).

Glad to to hear that no one was hurt.

Quick Reply: Whew!