Head scratcher with chip after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 05:31 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Head scratcher with chip after rebuild

So, long story short, I have a fresh, down to the crank, rebuild as a 3.8. 1000 miles on it now. New chip from Wong, so quality stuff. Gave the specs of the build and all that.

First track day, as I got to the cool down lap, the CEL would come on for a bit and then go off. Stayed off until next session cool down. And with the chip in, top speed and lap times were significantly down vs. 3.6 and old chip.

Now, I'm getting the codes from the shop, but this seems to be a bit of a head scratcher.

Has anyone encountered this before?
Old 05-09-2018, 08:50 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

What we're the codes?
could be a lot of things
Old 05-09-2018, 09:08 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

JPS, it could be hundreds of items. Need WAY more info here.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:45 PM
gt-2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
So, long story short, I have a fresh, down to the crank, rebuild as a 3.8. 1000 miles on it now. New chip from Wong, so quality stuff. Gave the specs of the build and all that.

First track day, as I got to the cool down lap, the CEL would come on for a bit and then go off. Stayed off until next session cool down. And with the chip in, top speed and lap times were significantly down vs. 3.6 and old chip.

Now, I'm getting the codes from the shop, but this seems to be a bit of a head scratcher.

I have a duplicate unit....95 3.6 rebuilt to 3.8 and a wong chip but my complaint is I have a massive flat spot at 4k rpm until about 5k rpm and it takes off like a rocket again. I know it probably has to do with limitations with stock intake but its bad and I get no help from Wong when I called to see if chip could be culprit. Don't want too highjack thread but anyone know if getting the crossover valve to open earlier helps and how you would do that? I'll check to see if any codes as my CEL light bulb is shot.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:53 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know I need the codes to help more. But just seeking parallel. Has anyone gotten CEL when hot and what was it?
Old 05-10-2018, 12:24 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS

Is the chip vendor not willing to help with this?
if not, that's a big miss on their part.
They would seem to be the go to resource.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:47 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes they are sort of. But hasn't encountered it before. Hence me reaching out here.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:43 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Yes they are sort of. But hasn't encountered it before. Hence me reaching out here.
It's possible the ignition timing was "pushed" too much and the knock control system is retarding the timing over what the stock Bosch/Porsche chip provided.
Any "real tuning" needs to be done on a chassis dyno. Read here; http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-the-myth.html
Old 05-10-2018, 01:49 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Injector duty cycle, bad timing, knock sensors, maybe the EPROM chip was burned with the wrong camshaft profiles, etc.

I wouldn't track or drive that expensive motor build unless I was 1000% sure the ECU was right. It's an ODB1 car, right? Why not do a standalone ECU and have it tuned properly? Geoffrey Ring is in New York at Racetek engineering and can get you sorted.

-Paddy

Yep, Lorenfb posted right before I did. I completely agree.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:57 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Jos,

Don't get the cart hitched in front of the horse, here.

Read the code(s) that have triggered the CEL FIRST to start the troubleshooting process!!
Old 05-10-2018, 10:38 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS

Easiest step is to put the stock chip back in and do an extensive evaluation, i.e. verify it's a chip problem only.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:52 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

#11 posts and still no codes!?
Old 05-11-2018, 12:26 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
Easiest step is to put the stock chip back in and do an extensive evaluation, i.e. verify it's a chip problem only.
How would a stock tune work with a 3.8 with RS cams?
Old 05-11-2018, 12:48 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

No codes recorded. And it is at the shop and at the mercy of them getting me the intel.

Doesn't come on with my 3.6 chip. But there might be a problem with the igniter as it doesn't seem both banks are active. So stay tuned. No pun intended.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:39 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't come on with stock chip? That seems surprising to me.

My car with rs valves and dc-10 cam runs on either my stock or my wong chip.

Quick Reply: Head scratcher with chip after rebuild