Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Anyone has dye a steering wheel ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 07:51 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Anyone has dye a steering wheel ?

I have a 3 spoke in cocoa brown color

Thinking to dye it in black instead of selling a buying a black one.

Anyone done something like that in the past?
Old 04-27-2018, 09:08 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

I repaired (filled in gouges in leather) and re-dyed a MOMO wheel by using Leatherique filler and dye. It was black originally and I re-dyed it black with excellent results. Done according to directions, it didn't fade. I would think that, with a couple of coats, you can achieve good results as well. www.leatherique.com
Old 04-28-2018, 12:02 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

I am having a four spoke wheel modified by Carsdream in Poland. I told them to do it in either tan or light grey. When I get it back I'll have it dyed in Cedar Green by FibreNew. They are a franchise throughout the US and do great work. No way could Carsdream come up with Cedar Green leather.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:29 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

Your best bet is to have it recovered as it has been suggested. The issue is that the leather is not a full- grain, it's a "corrected leather" meaning that it's the backside of the split, and to get it to look uniform, they have to add quite a bit of pigment and process to get the color/ uniformity and feel to where they want it. Unfortunately through this pigmentation process, it's basically like adding a layer of non-soluble paint & binders to the top surface, this paint layer is not going to allow any dye to get into the leather.. You can just do a quick test and see if you can put a drop of water on the leather and see what happens, if the leather absorbs the water, and becomes a bit darker, then you're in luck, as the leather will absorb something, but most likely, the leather will not absorb the water and it will not absorb the dye.. You could sand the surface of the leather to get rid of most of the pigmentation and binders and stuff, and then apply the dye.. It won't really have the same leather texture as you started, but it might not be that bad depending on your process and how long you worked it..
Old 04-29-2018, 11:23 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleman
Your best bet is to have it recovered as it has been suggested. The issue is ....
Great info, thanks. Because I am committed to having mine dyed to match the interior I am hoping that a professional can dye it in a way to keep the soft leather feel I have come to appreciate from Carsdream.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:14 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Name:  ja9E7ep.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  829.7 KB
Name:  oemfMjD.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  1.33 MB

Made this a few year ago as the CF was broken, Dye was an Ebay purchase ( Leatherique),and never came off after a couple of years use

Last edited by steve porter; 05-19-2018 at 12:13 AM. Reason: info
Old 03-14-2022, 10:13 AM
Fede-993
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by steve porter

Made this a few year ago as the CF was broken, Dye was an Ebay purchase ( Leatherique),and never came off after a couple of years use
I’m about to purchase a 996 three spoke steering wheel for my 993 and it needs a bit of TLC.
nice result with your wheel.
did you also dye the airbag? I’m afraid that if I dye the wheel the center airbag will look different.
what do you guys think?

Quick Reply: Anyone has dye a steering wheel ?