Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How to quiet down my Fabspeed exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 06:42 PM
synth19
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 24 Posts
Default How to quiet down my Fabspeed exhaust?

Hey guys, the 993 I recently purchased came with a Fabspeed exhaust system. It's a bit loud for my tastes, so considering some options. I have the Maxflo RSR Header/Muffler Kit (with heat exchange). Link here. I don't have cats at the moment so I'm wondering what options I have.

1. Purchase the 200 cell sport cats and fit to existing system? Will this reduce the cabin drone?
2. Ditch entire system and go back to OEM?
3. Fister Stage 3 upgrade (with fabspeed sport cats*)?

* I have the original exhaust system except for the oem cats.

Any other suggestions? I like an aggressive note, but something a bit more tame would be preferred. thanks,
Old 04-17-2018, 08:41 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Can we hear a video of the current setup?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:26 PM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds like the Fabspeed Exhaust does not have cats. Does the Fabspeed Exhaust have mufflers?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:36 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm running Fabspeed x-pipes and cans, the cats do quieten it down.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:16 AM
synth19
Racer

Originally Posted by Paseb
Can we hear a video of the current setup?
I will try to take a vid when I get my car back from service. I’ve only driven the car twice after purchase. Gettting some maintenance and some issues from my PPI resolved.

Originally Posted by Cheekybird
It sounds like the Fabspeed Exhaust does not have cats. Does the Fabspeed Exhaust have mufflers?
Mufflers- yes. You can purchase fabspeed cats, but not something I have.

Originally Posted by Endoman
I'm running Fabspeed x-pipes and cans, the cats do quieten it down.
do you have any cabin drone? I don’t mind loud, but drone during cruising can get annoying. 😟
Old 04-18-2018, 07:50 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

I ran X pipe cat delete with Fister 2s. No drones. Just recently installed Sport cats. Still almost as loud but no drones.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:43 AM
NoleenELT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
I ran X pipe cat delete with Fister 2s. No drones. Just recently installed Sport cats. Still almost as loud but no drones.
Did you ever drive it with Fister 2 and stock cats? I'm curious how much louder it gets with the sport cats.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:03 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by NoleenELT
Did you ever drive it with Fister 2 and stock cats? I'm curious how much louder it gets with the sport cats.
Yes, I had stock cat with Fister 2s for few years. The combo produces a nice sound, no drones, but I wouldn't call it loud. Jumping to sport cats with Fister 2s is much louder than stock cats with Fister 3s.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:30 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

Do you want to reduce noise, get rid of drone, or both?

To reduce noise, get the fabspeed 200 cell cats.

To get rid of drone, go with fister 2 or 3 (depending on how loud you want it).

To do both, get the 200 cell cats and fister 2.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:00 PM
NoleenELT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Yes, I had stock cat with Fister 2s for few years. The combo produces a nice sound, no drones, but I wouldn't call it loud. Jumping to sport cats with Fister 2s is much louder than stock cats with Fister 3s.
Thanks for the info! I have 2s with stock cats now. I prefer the sound of the 2s over the 3s, but I'd like it to be a bit louder. not MUCH louder though, so maybe sport cats are not the option for me.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:01 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 993 Sailor
If this guy wants a more quiet ride “fabspeed cats and fister II” is not the solution
Considering he has no cats and fabspeed mufflers, it is....
Old 04-19-2018, 07:11 AM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

So fabspeed cats and fister 3 is the best sound?

Or catless and fister 3 ?
Old 04-19-2018, 01:34 PM
synth19
Racer

Thanks guys for the advice. Since I dont have OEM cats, I'll try the fabspeed cats first and see how that goes with the rest of the system. If that isn't too my liking I can still use those cats and do the Fister upgrade.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:30 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by NoleenELT
Thanks for the info! I have 2s with stock cats now. I prefer the sound of the 2s over the 3s, but I'd like it to be a bit louder. not MUCH louder though, so maybe sport cats are not the option for me.
On my last 993, the PO installed 200 cell cats (in the stock cat housing) and LPMM (i.e., Fister stage 1) and it was the perfect understated sound; wife, neighbor and local police friendly and understated.

The cats eventually got clogged or something and wouldn't pass smog. I got stock low-mileage cats from a fellow rennlister and it was too quiet. I put in Fister 3s and it was too loud. Sold the car with the 3s before I got around to changing to 2s.

My new 993 is in the shop right now and in addition to suspension work, they are installing fabspeed 200 cell cats and used LPMMs I bought off a fellow rennlister. Should be just about right again, but if I want more sound off to the Fister the mufflers will go!
Old 04-19-2018, 09:07 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by synth19
Thanks guys for the advice. Since I dont have OEM cats, I'll try the fabspeed cats first and see how that goes with the rest of the system. If that isn't too my liking I can still use those cats and do the Fister upgrade.
Synth if memory serves me right I believe the headers in the RSR kits from Fabspeed are fabricated slightly different in order to fit the sport cats in the system. This may have changed, but be sure to clarify that before you decide to add the cats to the system.

From my experience the factory headers with the Fabspeed Sport Cat X-Pipe and Fisters 2's were the hot ticket setup. Best sound I've ever heard out of the 993. Sport Cat X-Pipe with Maxflo mufflers was a close second but I liked the Fister 2's a bit better as overall sound level the Maxflos falls right between the Fister 1 and 2. Fister 3's could get a little droney and intense after awhile, especially with catbypass pipes...but the 2's are just rock solid.

Quick Reply: How to quiet down my Fabspeed exhaust?