Bring the 993 to Brooklyn, NY?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 06:42 PM
911passion
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Bring the 993 to Brooklyn, NY?

Hey all,

I moved from Seattle to Brooklyn. My 4S is still in Seattle. I go there twice a quarter for a couple weeks each time and daily the 993 when there, rain or shine.

Super tempted to bring it here to Brooklyn though. That's where I am most of the time and I miss driving it. I Would not daily it here but enjoy it on the weekends.

My car is definitely a driver, not a showroom car. But will NYC kill the fun of driving?

I would obviously do the drive and find a secured covered spot in Brooklyn.

Are there many of you out here? I feel like discovering the east coast in the 993 could be fun!

Thanks all for the random question.
P.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:11 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive through downtown Boston all the time, and have had my 964 in Manhattan more times than I care to count. City driving is fine. Some great driving roads within 2 hours of NYC. I think it's well worth having the car nearby. Otherwise what's the point of owning it?
Old 04-05-2018, 07:15 PM
911passion
Racer

Yep.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:16 PM
jeanhules
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paging Ilko.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:43 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

you must have a garage or at least a driveway.
street parking would be catastrophic regardless of the 'hood.
beyond that just try to avoid the Belt and BQE bottlenecks at the wrong hour and uber for hyperlocal errands.

Last edited by jago; 04-09-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:55 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

What’s you parking situation like? Where are you in Brooklyn?
Old 04-05-2018, 08:40 PM
911passion
Racer

Williamsburg, Driggs and Metropolitan.
Looking for a covered spot right now.
Thanks for all the advice!
Old 04-05-2018, 08:56 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

If you stay off the BQE in either direction from 7am-11am and 2pm-7pm (same with the LIE) you are good to go.

Street parking to run into a store for a few minutes is always a risk as most out of towners can't parallel park where they practice "touch parking" backing up until they hit something and then move forward until they hit something, etc,etc,etc.

If you have time to get away for a few hours, the mountains just north of NYC or the Poconos have some fine roads. If you are just going to head east onto Long Island or south down towards the Jersey shore those roads are straight, crowded and boring so it won't matter what kind of car you are in.
If you have a safe place to park it, why not? Worst that can happen is you will hate it and you can plan another cross country adventure.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:20 PM
Brig993
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 69 Posts

Awesome location. Get a covered secured parking spot and bring the car! With finding a parking location my only advice is be careful of anywhere near the water just in case of flooding, a lot of people learned that lesson during Sandy. There are so many good roads within 30-60 mins in just about any direction (especially Northern NJ and upstate NY) even the flat crowded roads mentioned above out east in LI and the jersey shore have spectacular views and are special in the 993. Only downside is winters can be hard on the roads and limit your driving if you care about the salt and snow. Good luck with your decision and If you bring the car reach out I’m in the city also.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:32 PM
911passion
Racer

Really appreciate the answers.
I am doing it and yeah, will reach out for sure as soon as the car is here.
Now to find a parking garage!
Old 04-05-2018, 11:09 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

I have not and would not keep a Porsche in Manhattan or Brooklyn. Driving them around the city isn't fun. The infrastructure is terrible, not to mention the cost of a decent parking space. Find a real garage outside the city and keep your toy there. Meanwhile buy a beater to drive around the city. You'll need it because the subways have turned into **** and a car is a must nowadays. Sad but true.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:46 PM
bobbyp
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 97 Posts

Even though I live in Manhattan, I keep my car in Long Island City, right across the bridge from Manhattan - a neighborhood very similar to Williamsburg and a quick subway or bike ride from my home.
If you decide to bring your car here, it is perfectly fine to keep your car in Brooklyn rather than traveling to another state to visit your car. If you can't find a self park in your immediate area keep an eye out on craigslist for a garage at a private house that is easily accessible by whatever means you have to travel to it. I believe rennlist member JPS does the same Manhattan->LIC.
Best of luck.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:54 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

You will want to check out garages for yourself before renting a space. In NYC the regular garages mean leaving your car with a "valet" who will wedge it into as tight a spot as possible and door ding/scrape/bump/scratch it as they see fit. You want a self-park garage where the cars aren't packed in like sardines. Owning a car in NYC simply sucks. Get out your wallet.
Old 04-06-2018, 01:23 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I have not and would not keep a Porsche in Manhattan or Brooklyn. Driving them around the city isn't fun. The infrastructure is terrible, not to mention the cost of a decent parking space. Find a real garage outside the city and keep your toy there. Meanwhile buy a beater to drive around the city. You'll need it because the subways have turned into **** and a car is a must nowadays. Sad but true.
^^ voice of experience here

get house in hamptons - leave the car there
Old 04-06-2018, 09:36 AM
911passion
Racer

Thanks for the new perspectives.
Parking downtown Seattle with a reserved spot was $300 a month, so price wise, it is similar to what I am seeing in Williamsburg. Biggest difference is 20 minutes and you can be on an open road.

I guess one option would be to park it further out and have another car here (friends have a house in Woodstock where I could keep it).

I am just going to give it a try this year and see how it goes. If it's a pain, I'll keep it out of the city and get something else for here.

Quick Reply: Bring the 993 to Brooklyn, NY?