993 Forum 1995-1998

CAM TIMING

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 10:40 AM
RBP
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default CAM TIMING

I have a 1996 C2 produced in March of 1996. I am just completing a top end rebuild.

I know there has been some discussion about the various cam setup and configurations from the 964, to early 993's and then later 993's.

Can someone confirm the configuration I have and how they went about setting it up.

The cam shaft and drive sprocket are not keyed or pinned, only torque/tension between them holds the position. There is a key slot in the cam but none in the gear. There is only the one drive gear with four holes and no method of using those to lock the drive gear and cam in position.

Any info would be hhelpful.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:39 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Do a search on cam timing. There is a lot written on it. You basically have two choices. One would be to use the newer 993 factory cam timing tools (photo attached). There are three parts to it plus cam chain tensioners. Two pieces lock the cams into place on the backside face of the cams using the large key slots. The other piece pins the crank at TDC. The other method is to backdate the cam gears to the older 911 type timing setup. You will need to have a key slot on the cam to register the cam gear. Since your car is an early 96, your cam may have these slots. My car is a 96 and the cams had this key slot.

When I did my rebuild, I was lucky enough to borrow the factory timing tools. It was very easy. Many say the older method is more precise and may offer better performance.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
porsche993_repair_manual.pdf (544.3 KB, 184 views)

Quick Reply: CAM TIMING