TPC supercharger MIL-STD-WD

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 01:39 PM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default TPC supercharger MIL-STD-WD

A thread dedicated to my install.

I was thinking about this, why hasn't anyone utilized a flat intake for the engine that would pull air from the decklid.

I did, and I am going to play with the idea.

Get rid of the cone filter which has proven worse hp figures

Stat tuned for my trade study.

​​
Old 03-11-2018, 03:19 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Cool. Subscribed.
Old 03-11-2018, 03:59 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

No intercooler?

Feeding the SC with cooler air is always a good thing. I don’t think the tins do a great job of keeping heat out of the engine bay. With your non intercooler setup cooler air becomes even more important.

If if you can find a way to pressurize the air (scoops etc) coming into the SC even better. This will also lesson heat and make the SC more responsive.

Are you running 91 oct? If so some water injection would be a good idea. Better yet run E85. Its a great fuel for non intercooler setups.
Old 03-11-2018, 08:54 PM
windydog
Pro

Tap for tach

High quality stuff
MarinS4 : You are correct, an intercooler is required. I am getting a free intercooler (air/air) and will be developing ducting.
To run E85, i would need to get a tune to take advantage of;

I was playing with the idea, because anyone who works with me know i am slow and think things out. With a little one, no much time to do trial and fitments, so i need to make it count.
There really is no way for me pressurize the air coming in, i basically removed my automatic tail and put in a SS304 mesh grill. I fabricated it for 50 bucks.

I will draw somethings out and go from there.

For the meat/potatoes of the build.

I really hated that crappy tensioner that is connected to the engine carrier. There are three joints which allow for misalignment. I understand why they did it, but its crap IMHO.
I was looking into having a billet part machined to support the tensioner, then Trevor-UK gave me a solid idea! Thanks Trevor.

I went with a Clewett setup, this was not cheap since you need to buy the setup and another pulley to account for the undersized pulley.
Total cost upper is 750 bucks including the new belt required: 6PK1195

In the event I want to reverse the process it will take 1 hr since everything is connectorized and i have the Clewett setup.

The Clewett Pulley on the crank measured at: 4.226
The TPC Pulley on the crank measured at: 5.26

The Pulley on the SC measured at 3

Taking ratios, and an integral i came up with a 1.75 ratio for the TPC set up. My system is an older one which has 5 psi of boost.
Therefore i needed a 2.4 in pulley, but decided to go with a 2.3" pulley which will yield a whooping 5.25 lbs of boost.

I also did some research and found the Eaton M90 peter out at 12k RPM.

The Installation:

The kit is by no means built to aerospace tolerances, +/- 1 inch more like it. I am used to +/- .010 on a bad day.
I had to shim and reshape many of the brackets, which added much time.

Its getting late, so i will continue the story later. To the many people who gave me good advice or answered my PM's thank you!!

To the trolls that want to criticize, may you find yourself with Diarrhea with not a toilet in site!
Old 03-12-2018, 12:17 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

MIL-STD-WD,
All of your pulley sizes are in inches, yes?

Assuming TPC engineering factored in a 50% stress safety margin; I would imagine 6 PSI of boost would not hurt a thing, considering turbo boost numbers.

Your quoted ratio of 1.75; is this the same as 1/.75 or 1:.75?
Please pardon my ignorance, but I always thought ratios were expressed with, : or /...or did you mean 1: 1.75? I'm confused...

I also did some research and found the Eaton M90 peter out at 12k RPM
I'm confused as to how the above statement is relevant to your TPC supercharger install? Could you please clarify?

Subscribed... can't wait to see how this turns out!
My best!

Last edited by nine9six; 03-12-2018 at 12:48 AM.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:35 AM
Porsche-ah
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

The pulley's that come on the TPC superchargers later on was 2.8. Tom over at TPC ended up giving me a 2.5" saying it would slightly over drive the system for more power.They found that on the early kits the 3" pulley was slightly too big. You may want to recalculate.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:29 PM
windydog
Pro

9nineSix

The ratio i am reffering to is more like a scale factor. I took the TPC pulley crank and SC pulley to determine a scale factor. I did the same for the Clewett pulley to determine final size of the SC pulley to account for the under drive.

The 12k refers to the Eaton M90 pulley which is used in many cars and application. This is information for the engineer in me.

For the 3" pulley, i called TPC today and talked with Tom.
SInce i am running the Split Second box, its not as quick to react to retard timing as the newer piggy backs. Because of this, there is a little safety built in at 3 inches. I am opting to run a smaller pulley at my own risk.

For the Flat intake, i tried to see what the stock box would look like. The blow off valve is in the way, so more thought is required. I am planning to mock up a cardboard box to see what something could look like. I will then seal against grill cover to get air into the engine.

More to come.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:33 AM
nine9six
Banned

WD,
Thank you for your clarification...So the Eaton M90 is the same supercharger that is applied too many different vehicles; including the unit TPC adapts and sells as the Porsche 993 SC kit. Interesting.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:55 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

And what does she get to do, once you’re finished “dressing her up”? :-)
Old 03-13-2018, 09:14 PM
windydog
Pro

She gets to drive me and my son to car events to meet great people like you!

Aloha brah
Old 03-15-2018, 12:08 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice to see some creative juices working some modifications to the modifications. I have had my TPC Supercharger for more than ten years. No issues, lots of fun. Did a number of Performance Driving Experiences at Summit Point, Sebring, Daytona Rolex course. Now a days I do AutoX in central FL.

I did not go for the inter-cooler and have not had any problems, ping, or other. It was bolt on 120 hp.

For me, the SC is the best Bang for the Bucks.

Good Luck on your project!!!!
Old 03-15-2018, 03:58 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

@windydog I admire your creativity and engineering here!

I have recently seen a few used GT2 like spoilers for sale, perhaps you can improve the flow of cold air with that spoiler as they have those scoops?

Old 03-15-2018, 04:25 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by samurai_k
@windydog I admire your creativity and engineering here!

I have recently seen a few used GT2 like spoilers for sale, perhaps you can improve the flow of cold air with that spoiler as they have those scoops?

I like Samurai's thoughts...If you could use that tail to pressurize an air box that feeds the SC, I think you'd be set!
Old 03-16-2018, 08:54 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's super duper simplify this equation (ignore stagnation temperature change, ignore the fact that we're not even at true stagnation, ignore comprehensibility of air... etc.)

So theoretical best case scenario, before accounting for any losses, gives you a max stagnation pressure of .176 psig at 100mph. i.e. not a lot. Focus on getting cool air. The idea of "pressurizing" an intake on a normally aspirated engine without extremely in depth flow analysis is pretty silly. Especially when you're already doing forced induction, if you need an extra .176 psi, well, that's an easy get.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:12 PM
nine9six
Banned

Originally Posted by jstyer
Let's super duper simplify this equation (ignore stagnation temperature change, ignore the fact that we're not even at true stagnation, ignore comprehensibility of air... etc.)

So theoretical best case scenario, before accounting for any losses, gives you a max stagnation pressure of .176 psig at 100mph. i.e. not a lot. Focus on getting cool air. The idea of "pressurizing" an intake on a normally aspirated engine without extremely in depth flow analysis is pretty silly. Especially when you're already doing forced induction, if you need an extra .176 psi, well, that's an easy get.
I'd venture to say it's not that simple; despite pressure of .176 psig at 100mph...
https://sciencing.com/convert-wind-s...i-6003776.html

Quick Reply: TPC supercharger MIL-STD-WD