Resonance Flap Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 10:34 AM
tfitch03
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Resonance Flap Chatter

Hey guys,
I posted this on the 964 area as well but wanted to ping you all since some of yall may have had or have the same problem I am having. I am getting quite a bit of chatter/rattle coming from my resonance flap. I was able to start the car and touch the part circled in red below and the chatter went away. I am not away of any fix for this other than replacing the throttle body. Has anyone here experienced this that may know of an alternative solution? I am all ears. Even if your suggestion is to put bubble gum on it, I want to hear all ideas.

Old 02-27-2018, 12:12 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Putting a bush in would probably be best. Not sure if there is anything between the shaft and the plastic of the intake. If there isn't this is something that we will see more often in these cars.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:48 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

I am assuming that the part is the pivot point of the flap internal to the manifold and touching it dampens any play in the bearing and so the rattle stops.
If this is what it is and why it rattles I would get a touch of stiff grease, like wheel bearing grease and press some into the bushings bearing surface. It should be stiff enough to dampen the rattling while not adding meaningful additional resistance for the actuator to overcome. Also if the top side of the intake pipe has a matching bearing point I would grease that as well. Also see if there is any play in the actuator arm attachment to the flap mechanism. If there is a little grease on it could help as well.

Let us know if it worked.
Andy

Quick Reply: Resonance Flap Chatter