Help control arm bush problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 06:28 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Help control arm bush problem

Guys
Need some help. Half way into a control arm bush change and I run into a problem. First control arm went fine. For the second control arm I can’t get one of the split bushes all the way in.

Bushes are elephant racing.
Have put about 5 tons of pressure but no luck.
There is a 3mm gap. Looking inside the cavity I can see there is space free inside.

I used the press directly on the outer bush metal instead of the method recommended in the ER documentation.

Not sure what to do. Anyone run into this problem before and have a fix?

TIA
Ken
Old 02-20-2018, 06:39 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Ken,
The gap is meant to be there. ER sells a tool to engage that gap for split bushing removal (which you don't need since you're installing).

I've installed numerous sets of Elephant Racing bushings and found that in some cases the small bushing sleeves & hats were aluminum and in others they were steel. If yours are aluminum - be very careful not to damage/distort them.

Andreas
Old 02-21-2018, 01:25 AM
Andrew B
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by haygeebaby
Guys
Need some help. Half way into a control arm bush change and I run into a problem. First control arm went fine. For the second control arm I can’t get one of the split bushes all the way in.

Bushes are elephant racing.
Have put about 5 tons of pressure but no luck.
There is a 3mm gap. Looking inside the cavity I can see there is space free inside.

I used the press directly on the outer bush metal instead of the method recommended in the ER documentation.

Not sure what to do. Anyone run into this problem before and have a fix?

TIA
Ken
Yeah so with the outer "plate" of the rear bushes in place you're not going together as much pressure on the bush itself when pressing it in.To push them all the way in you need to flick off the outer plate and apply pressure directly to the aluminium casing of the bush itself. Using big sockets either side will make it happen. See pic.

Old 02-21-2018, 07:28 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

I did not see the picture you posted when I responded earlier. The gap I referred to is inside the arm, between both bushing halves when fully seated.

If you are directly pressing on the outside 'hats' of both bushings, they will never seat all the way, since the inner sleeves of the bushings are longer than the outer sleeves. As Andrew shows in his pic, you'll need a large socket or similar to straddle the bushing that's already seated. Then, when you press on the second bushing, the inner sleeves can deflect into the large socket.

I've rebuilt dozens & dozens of 993 control arm sets and have specific adaptors & tooling to use with my 30-ton press.

Andreas
Old 02-22-2018, 08:09 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for the replies and tips gents. I'm really grateful - thank you.
I was able to push it in a millimeter or so more and it does make sense that the gap remain in the center - as per the original bushes.
I have since reinstalled the control arm. All went well.

Quick Reply: Help control arm bush problem