Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Solution from Shine Supply.

https://shinesupply.com/products/solution
Old 02-18-2018, 07:26 PM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I use a McCulloch steamer (Amazon, Harbor Freight, etc) and a nice microfiber towel. If that doesn't do it, I'll go for my favorite all purpose cleaner, Simple Green Pro HD (the purple stuff), diluted according to the instructions. This is not to be confused with the regular Simple Green - this HD is completely different stuff. As others mention, proper agitation is key.

I'll follow up with 303 if the piece needs some protection, or Leatherique Prestine Clean if it needs softening. Leatherique Prestine Clean was designed for use directly on MB Tex, the vinyl Mercedes uses on their seats.

Here's the gray interior in my now 180k+ mile wagon, which has to have 5-10 993s worth of vinyl in it.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:20 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks all.

I know these pieces are not vinyl, but do you know what the true color is for the cassette holder, parking brake bezel, and instrument switch bezels are? Mine are a reddish black. For reference I put some other plastic pieces that have not seen day of sun yet same age they are black. I can tell these trim pieces have some sort of factory finish on top of the ABS plastic as the underside of the trim pieces are definitely black.

Are my black plastic trim pieces just sun bleached?
Old 02-19-2018, 12:51 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mpruden
I use a McCulloch steamer (Amazon, Harbor Freight, etc) and a nice microfiber towel. If that doesn't do it, I'll go for my favorite all purpose cleaner, Simple Green Pro HD (the purple stuff), diluted according to the instructions. This is not to be confused with the regular Simple Green - this HD is completely different stuff. As others mention, proper agitation is key.

I'll follow up with 303 if the piece needs some protection, or Leatherique Prestine Clean if it needs softening. Leatherique Prestine Clean was designed for use directly on MB Tex, the vinyl Mercedes uses on their seats.

Here's the gray interior in my now 180k+ mile wagon, which has to have 5-10 993s worth of vinyl in it.

Ah that interior brings back memories. I had a Black 95 E420 in cashmere. You are right, there was a sea of vinyl in that car.

In re to Leatherique, that stuff is awesome to soften old leather. I'm in the process of conditioning my shift boot and seats with it and is absolutely amazing what it can do. I tired Lexol first and was very minimal to make my old leather soft again.

Last edited by samurai_k; 02-19-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:48 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Try "Lift Out" its a little strong, and is meant for carpet but works on all surfaces. Like what others have stated it will remove the dye, but takes out stains and dirt like no other.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:35 AM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

If you have a Polisher:

https://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-brushes.html

These work wonders on car interior plastics also:

https://www.mrclean.com/en-us/shop-p...raser-original

Simple Green is what I have used and has always worked well.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:27 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
Are my black plastic trim pieces just sun bleached?
It might be that the fire retardant that is compounded into the interior plastics contain Bromine which causes the discoloring (black to almost brownish/grey)? You might be able to reverse it with hydrogen peroxide, any laundry detergent containing TEAD and a UV lamp. Or just order new trim pieces from Sunset Imports. Which is ultimately what I ended up doing as the cost was a lot less than what I was expecting.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:54 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm probably late to this..

I use Spray Nine Marine on all leather and vinyl to deep clean it, just use a brush to scrub, not a rag, then wipe excess off with rag...I found it to be the best. Never use Simple Green on vinyl, its a degreaser and will harm the color. I found this better than Lexol cleaner.

I then use Griots 3 in 1 leather conditioner on all leather and vinyl. https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...1+16+ounces.do
Old 02-23-2018, 12:48 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about Malco?
Old 02-24-2018, 11:41 PM
Sagres74
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had good results with steam.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:17 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

All thanks for the tips and tricks.

Yesterday got my Amazon shipment of detailing products and tried them all out.

One tool that worked really well to get stains out was a soft bristle upholstery brush for my DA polisher that @coreseller suggested. Thanks! This tool really helped agitate and remove old sun block, oils, and whatever that was trapped in the vinyl textured surface. I used the polisher in combination with the Nextzett plastic cleaner many of you recommended. I also tried Simple Green side by side with Nextzett with a microfiber cloth before attacking the pieces with the polisher to see if the cleaners by themselves could do the job and unfortunately neither did much to improve.

Once the surfaces were clean, I did notice there was inconsistencies in the finish as some places were shiny and others was not. I noticed where they were and it was basically where other things would rub against the vinyl so I am guessing the finish coat (if there is such a thing) has worn off. As an example if you notice my center console the top part is ok but the sides where the seat leather/seat belts rub against it as well as the back part where kids and things kicking it scuff it up.

At this point I have decided to recolor some of the pieces to get it back to their glory. Will update as I progress on that. Thanks!
Old 02-25-2018, 02:20 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Before dyeing, you may want to try 303. It does a good job of ‘rehydrating’ old plastic and vinyl. Great on exterior trim as well.

Old 02-25-2018, 02:23 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Thanks! Yes. Some of the pieces will use on 303. Some others, I want to change from Grey to Black
Old 02-25-2018, 02:36 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k
Thanks! Yes. Some of the pieces will use on 303. Some others, I want to change from Grey to Black
303 is good but not that good!
Old 02-25-2018, 06:45 PM
jo-hans
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't like the shiny look of some products so this is my favourite I use for a final treatment.

Quick Reply: How to deep clean vinyl?