993 Forum 1995-1998

re-seal rear quarter window, shops your reccomend richmond area

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 12:19 PM
nasa ser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re-seal rear quarter window, shops your reccomend richmond area

My 1995 993 has several leaks on drivers side rear quarter window, I just need to get the window seals replaced, anyone in the richmond, va area have any suggestions where to go for that?

thanks

Stephen
Old 02-13-2018, 06:26 PM
MielsOnWheels
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I might consider Euroclassics...Wayne Hall is the master 993 tech there...it’s a dealer and you’ll pay dealer prices but if Wayne does the job you know it will be done right. I’ve had him do quite a bit of work on my car over the years and I’ve always been more than pleased with the result, except for the result to my wallet!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:52 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Body or glass shop issue , dealer probably just subs out the work. I would contact Burleighs Body shop, although they may just sub out glass work too, ask them if they do.
Any competent glass shop can remove and remount a 1/4 glass window. I try to use Smiley's as it is a locally owned small business that does lots of auto glass.
If you have a leak a body shop knows how to sort out the source as where the moisture is, is not necessarily where the leak is located.
A DIY fix if corrosion is not present is to buy the small tube of clear 3M bath calk, cut its tip and slip it under the window rubber to body interface and lay in a small bead. Do the same for the rubber to glass interface. Probably only needed along the bottom of the window and an inch or two up the sides. I used this method on my 86' Carrera that fixed the issue on a car that went through several Cleveland winters without further leaks. If it is unclear where your leak is coming from it may be from the back-light window gutter. This is a well documented issue here on Rennlist.
Hope theis helps, Andy
Old 02-15-2018, 12:09 AM
nasa ser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, no water issues just air/noise leaks I am trying to fix
Old 02-15-2018, 10:40 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Make sure they use a proper adhesive (ex. #000.043.204.82) when its reinstalled otherwise you will have water and more air/noise issues. The instructions from the Porsche Workshop Manuals are available HERE. If the glass guy thinks he know's better than Porsche politely ask him to just follow the instructions. A bad glass installation will end up costing YOU a lot of money 5 years done the road. And do not use 3M bath caulk or any other silicone sealant unless you want to turn a small project into a BIG one. If it fails you will have to sand down the window aperture to bare metal and completely repaint if you want a new adhesive to stick.

Quick Reply: re-seal rear quarter window, shops your reccomend richmond area