Porsche 993 owner/ services identification

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 09:04 AM
Bob102
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 993 owner/ services identification

Hello,
I am a new owner of Porsche 993 VIN: WP0AA2999TS323650. This car was listed on auction 2040-cars.com and after transaction it was shipped to Europe (pls find attached auction info). And actually I bought it in Germany, Europe a couple days ago.
Unfortunately I have no detailed information about past services/ maintenance of that car e.g. SAI, clutch etc.
According to Carfax almost all services and inspections were done in Smartville CA.
Do you have any idea how to identify those information, what was done/ repaired.
I will be grateful for any help.
Best regards, Robert
Old 02-01-2018, 09:15 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

No help for You but how much did You pay for the car? In Europe US import cars are the cheapest and cars without service history are cheaper still!

No stamped service book i a huge minus for the value of a 993 in Europe, in the US nobody seems to care about service books!
Old 02-01-2018, 09:32 AM
Bob102
AutoX

In Europe for P993 with manual transmission you have to pay >$65K. I understand that there is no information in the service book but the bills/ invoices are collected somehow by owners?
Old 02-01-2018, 09:37 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

Sorry if I missed it up there... but what did you pay USD + Ship ? ? Service Records "TO ME" make a big deal...tells the history ... at least 10 years worth... or if major services were done 30K, 60K etc ....
Old 02-01-2018, 10:01 AM
Bob102
AutoX

I dont know what was the auction price. But if you ship to Europe you have to pay additional exp about 50% of US purchase price (transportation fee, taxes) I bought for about US$ 65K.
The car was carfully checked in Germany but still i am missing info from US.
Please find attached basic service info from CarFax. According to your demanding users standards is it enough?
Interesting thing is that the car has a AKA batconsole, not sure is it worth anything? In Europe nobody knows it.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:03 AM
Bob102
AutoX

Sorry K means '000
Old 02-01-2018, 10:40 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

The Car Fax tells about half the story and typically half accurate ..... MAYBE! What was actually performed on the car is most important. $65K is pretty strong for a 80K C2.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:47 AM
Bob102
AutoX

Yes i know but cant get cheaper in Europe and must love it now!

if you find a minute pls tell me what is the batconsole and should i keep it?
Old 02-01-2018, 11:07 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob102
Yes i know but cant get cheaper in Europe and must love it now!

if you find a minute pls tell me what is the batconsole and should i keep it?
The Bat Phone / Console is worth around $500 on E-bay if you want it. If it is original to the car I would hold on to it.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:16 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Gbos1
The Bat Phone / Console is worth around $500 on E-bay if you want it. If it is original to the car I would hold on to it.
$500! Jesus! I call it Butt Phone Console because i find it Butt ugly!

Can confirm that pretty much any decent 993 will cost at least $65.000 in Europe!
Old 02-01-2018, 11:21 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Getting service records without access to the previous owner(s) is just about impossible, unfortunately. If you can figure out at what shop(s) the car was serviced you may be able to get some information from them. I’ve found many shops won’t talk at all, especially dealerships, but I’ve also had a few willing to scan and send me images of receipts (with owner information blacked out for privacy). This is pretty rare though, usually you just hit brick walls.

It doesn’t mean the car wasn’t taken care of, just that the shops have a reasonable concern about liability and aren’t willing to stick their necks out to help you.

The good news, is that you have the car in your hands now and you can enjoy it . With the car in front of you, you can determine how well it was taken care of by inspection and driving. These are pretty simple machines in the grand scheme of things and don’t have too many secrets that won’t be revealed by some hard driving and a mechanical inspection.

For maintenance, I’d change all the fluids immediately (oil, P/S, Clutch/Brakes, Trans), to set a baseline. Then I’d inspect plugs and wires to get a sense of age and set a replacement schedule based on what I’d seen. Same with rotors and caps.

For engine health, I’d watch oil consumption, keep an eye for leaks and use my butt-meter to determine health. No need for invasive procedures without a clear need. Also be sure to check varioram operation. There is a simple procedure to ensure the vacuum selonoids are all operating.

For suspension I’d look to see if its original or has been replaced at some point. If original, then budget some time and money to replace shocks and bushings. Doesn’t need to be done immediately, but it’ll improve driving pleasure immeasurably.

Sorry if this is too much, I’ll stop here. But figured some of these notes might help you. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2018, 11:59 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Last summer I did some research to hunt down maintence records for my car before buying it and hit the jackpot when I found the mechanic who worked on it for much of it's life and he had a binder full of original records. Given smartville is a rural town in CA, I just did Google maps search and there are only a handful of Porsche shops in the vicinity that may have worked on the car. When I was calling up shops and showing pictures they easily knew whether they worked on the car or not. Worth a try...
Old 02-01-2018, 12:55 PM
Bob102
AutoX

Guys i very very thank you for good words and very helpful hints and comments!!!
Old 02-01-2018, 05:42 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Nice but only 12 oil changes in 24 years!
Ultimatly this is what You want when You buy a 993!
A stamped service book and a binder with every little piece of paper connected with the car!
Old 02-01-2018, 05:49 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Railmaster.

Nice but only 12 oil changes in 24 years!
Ultimatly this is what You want when You buy a 993!
A stamped service book and a binder with every little piece of paper connected with the car!
Don't scare the guy . Carfax is not a good source of information for maintenance, I'm sure it has had more service than indicated. The only thing carfax is good for is checking for bad titles, accident damage, and odometer discrepancies. It's not even perfect for these simple things, but it's better than nothing and worth the money from a due diligence point of view.

The binder of records you have is wonderful. I have something similar but it's electronic, so it's easier to manage. I keep all service records on file along with my maintenance schedule so I always know what's been done and what needs to be done next. Makes it easy to search for old stuff that I might have forgotten about without having to shuffle through a bunch of paper and also makes for a very easy record for a prospective buyer (God forbid I ever want to sell the car).

Quick Reply: Porsche 993 owner/ services identification