993 Forum 1995-1998

993C2S Buttonwillow CW13 2:01:17 - Re71R/KW Review Pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 01:52 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 452 Likes on 197 Posts
Default 993C2S Buttonwillow CW13 2:01:17 - Re71R/KW Review Pics

First track day in the 993c2s, 2nd track day in an air cooled P car, drove my 964 once before.
Ran a 2:01:17 on CW13 config which i was happy with for my first day driving it.

Edit: came back and ran two 2:00:9 laps

Used 235/285 Re71R tires which in a separate thread was discussed and people asked me to update once I ran them as they were wondering about understeer issues especially with the S wider rear and bigger tires. No excessive understeer besides what you'd expect from a 911. On slower corners none and great turn in, on the turn "sweeper" car was very balanced, only on some high speed transition theres that normal sway, a little let of and back on throttle adjusted just fine. Car felt amazing! very balanced could turn in over steer easy, car steered brilliantly with the throttle Car is on KW V3 which are great on the street and was worried they would be too soft for the track but worked well. I’ve run KW clubsports on other cars which are much stiffer, Pagid RS29 front pads and Stock rear pads worked fine.

Used a GoPro and tried to match up Harrys Lap Timer but Harrys speeds were all ****ed but timing was 2:01:2, transponder was 2:01:17 so very close.

and trying to keep up with a 991gt3 that passed...three consecutive laps of 2:01:3, 2:01:2, 2:01:1

Last edited by DD GT3 RD; 04-09-2018 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:35 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice........ you don't have a sister named "Patty" do ya? :-)
Old 01-21-2018, 04:35 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
Nice........ you don't have a sister named "Patty" do ya? :-)
i know I’m missing a joke here...I think I am at least 🙈
Old 01-21-2018, 05:26 PM
spikej
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

very good lap time!
Old 01-22-2018, 07:36 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice lap and good time indeed! Good work
Old 01-22-2018, 10:38 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts

Good for you taking your Baby to the track for exercise. I found the the 245 and 295 was a brutal tire configuration, especially on Hoosiers. Warning, don't try Hoosiers, they will spoil you in a big way. They will also be about 1.5 to 2 seconds a lap quicker.

Your Lap Times will mean more to the readers if the configuration of the track you were running is shared, was it #1 CW, #1 CCW, or ????? Did you run Star Mazda, or shortcut through the sweeper to the "S" turns. Update us and we will be further wowed I am sure.

Personally, I love Buttonwillow, and only 1:30 from the house.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:14 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.

Good for you taking your Baby to the track for exercise. I found the the 245 and 295 was a brutal tire configuration, especially on Hoosiers. Warning, don't try Hoosiers, they will spoil you in a big way. They will also be about 1.5 to 2 seconds a lap quicker.

Your Lap Times will mean more to the readers if the configuration of the track you were running is shared, was it #1 CW, #1 CCW, or ????? Did you run Star Mazda, or shortcut through the sweeper to the "S" turns. Update us and we will be further wowed I am sure.

Personally, I love Buttonwillow, and only 1:30 from the house.

yes it my favorite socal track. Ran cw13. Think it’s in the YouTube title but didn’t realize I didn’t write it here! I’ve run Hoosiers on friends cars I’ve driven. But I drive to and from the track and don’t have room for all the goodies around. Car is a blast and I have plenty of fun with Re71R or nt01 type tire. Thanks Martin!
Old 01-22-2018, 11:22 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD

Car is a blast and I have plenty of fun with Re71R or nt01 type tire.
Yes it is!

Old 01-22-2018, 11:37 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

^awesome! I need to find a way to mount my GoPro inside like that. and such good audio! Love how u can really see the cars behavior just from the video
Old 01-23-2018, 12:05 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Buttonwillow Config 1 and 13

2:01.17 is certainly a respectable time on Config 13 CW, and on a First Track day no less. I am certain the hook has been set, and you'll be back. It seems that a lot of Clubs and those conducting Special Events run in this configuration. I have yet to do the Sweeper after Phil Hill to my satisfaction, very limited reference points, it's tough to get it right, at least for me. CCW it's not quite as difficult.

A really fun configuration is Race #1, CW or CCW, both a hoot. CCW, out of the "S" turns on the way south bound to Sunset, you'll be close to, or will in fact redline 4th gear.

I have a YouTube somewhere of a buddy chasing me around BW Race # CCW, him in a 993 Carrera S and me in a NB 993. Probably the most fun I have ever had at the track....I'll see if I can find it. When you get in to the low 2 minute rare air in Race 1 CCW, you will be driving your *** off. I have never been there Did a 2:06, then lost a front ball joint. Could I have been faster? I will never know since the 993 has been sold The good news? It's been replaced with a GT3. With 100 more HP at the same weight, I could improve a bit...just out to have fun.

If you want some spirited competition, all marques, run a NASA HPDE, better yet, a NASA Time Trial...your car would be in GT4, strictly a weight to HP class, tun what you brung (And BTW, you'll need a Dyno sheet to verify what class you belong in (Weight to HP)). You could possibly run GT5, BUT, the largest tire allowed is a 275, not a good fit on a Carrera S. In GT4, run any size tire you want. Also note, they run a very tight event, with no BS allowed. If you suck, make dumb mistakes, it will come up in the many drivers "down load" meetings held over the course of the day. You need to get through their HPDE series..or get a waiver based on experience, before getting into Time Trial.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Buttonwillow Race 1.pdf (352.6 KB, 42 views)
File Type: pdf
Buttonwillow CW 13.pdf (354.7 KB, 105 views)
Old 01-23-2018, 12:18 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Martin S.
2:01.17 is certainly a respectable time on Config 13 CW, and on a First Track day no less. I am certain the hook has been set, and you'll be back. It seems that a lot of Clubs and those conducting Special Events run in this configuration. I have yet to do the Sweeper after Phil Hill to my satisfaction, very limited reference points, it's tough to get it right, at least for me. CCW it's not quite as difficult.

A really fun configuration is Race #1, CW or CCW, both a hoot. CCW, out of the "S" turns on the way south bound to Sunset, you'll be close to, or will in fact redline 4th gear.

I have a YouTube somewhere of a buddy chasing me around BW Race # CCW, him in a 993 Carrera S and me in a NB 993. Probably the most fun I have ever had at the track....I'll see if I can find it. When you get in to the low 2 minute rare air in Race 1 CCW, you will be driving your *** off. I have never been there Did a 2:06, then lost a front ball joint. Could I have been faster? I will never know since the 993 has been sold The good news? It's been replaced with a GT3. With 100 more HP at the same weight, I could improve a bit...just out to have fun.

If you want some spirited competition, all marques, run a NASA HPDE, better yet, a NASA Time Trial...your car would be in GT4, strictly a weight to HP class, tun what you brung (And BTW, you'll need a Dyno sheet to verify what class you belong in (Weight to HP)). You could possibly run GT5, BUT, the largest tire allowed is a 275, not a good fit on a Carrera S. In GT4, run any size tire you want. Also note, they run a very tight event, with no BS allowed. If you suck, make dumb mistakes, it will come up in the many drivers "down load" meetings held over the course of the day. You need to get through their HPDE series..or get a waiver based on experience, before getting into Time Trial.

martin I think you mistook my “first time tracking the 993c2s” for my “first time tracking”. I appreciate all the input too, it’s very kind of you to take the time to share all the info! Ive been going there for almost 10 years. It was just my first time track the 993 and my second time ever tracking an aircooled car! As you know it takes time to adjust or learn the behavior of rear engine rwd Porsche’s. I’ve run some low 1:50s in my old viper and have taken m3, m2, corvettes etc there. My buddy runs Speed District so I’ve always gone with them and I think they do host then best open track days. I will do some other organizations here and there. But haven’t done NASA or any wheel to wheel.

Beautiful 996gt3 btw and congrats! I know it’s *** still swings quite a bit. Drove my buddy’s once and scared me a few times 🤣

Last edited by DD GT3 RD; 01-23-2018 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:57 AM
NYC993
Drifting

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
^awesome! I need to find a way to mount my GoPro inside like that. and such good audio! Love how u can really see the cars behavior just from the video
Thanks. It's attached to roll bar and I run external microphone taped to the rear license plate.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:28 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default Whoops, bad assumption...

Wife is out of town so I am amusing myself on the Rennlist 993 Board. Haven't shaken my love for my former 993 quite yet, so I must confess, I have been known to check into the 993 Board a little too often. The Carrera S has got to be my favorite car. About 5 or so years ago, a buddy of mine's Pop bought him a 1998 Carrera S, Glacier white, totally unmolested with the factory aero kit complete with the Turbo S tail. His Pop did it on a whim just because he know his son loved Porsche cars. Now that is Super Pop. I rode in that car once, what a treat...it got me to wondering, WTF did I mess with my 993 to the point where it road like a truck compared to the Carrera S. But that feeing passed when I got back into my 993 Carrera NB car with short gears and a full suspension treatment.

The OP wrote, "martin I think you mistook my “first time tracking the 993c2s” for my “first time tracking”. I appreciate all the input too, it’s very kind of you to take the time to share all the info! Ive been going there for almost 10 years. It was just my first time track the 993 and my second time ever tracking an aircooled car! As you know it takes time to adjust or learn the behavior of rear engine rwd Porsche’s. I’ve run some low 1:50s in my old viper and have taken m3, m2, corvettes etc there. My buddy runs Speed District so I’ve always gone with them and I think they do host then best open track days. I will do some other organizations here and there. But haven’t done NASA or any wheel to wheel."

My mistake, sound like you have plenty of track experience..just for fun, I referred to the Porsche Owners Club Track records for Buttonwillow Race Config #1, for GT5 which was the class I ran in. I ran about 260 HP to the rear wheels so the car had to be heavy, about 3,200 to stay within the weight to HP limits. The lesson I learned from this, heavy cars like my 993 with big HP competing with lighter cars with lower HP...just aren't competitive. Example, my personal best at Willow Springs was a 1:33.6, the class record in a trick Boxster within the same weight to HP, a 1:30, nearly 4 seconds off the pace. According to my AiM MXL-2 data, my theoretical best time was a 1:32...still 2 seconds off the pace. But I was unwilling to strip the creature comforts from the car and lower the HP with intake baffles, etc. But don't think for a moment I wasn't having fun.

POC doesn't do #13. Their track record in GT5 weight to HP class is a 2:03. GT cars, if one so desires, can be fully developed, light weight monsters, using lower HP (To make the weight to HP specs), all running at least Hoosiers, some run slicks..most all have electronic engine management systems. I can post the specific weight to HP class ratios if there is interest. My pathetic time on Race #13 in my 3,200 Lb car on Hoosiers with 261 HP was a 2:06, a personal best, but off the pace by 3 seconds....that's OK, when waiting to go out on the track on a hot day, up with the power windows, and on goes the air conditioning, with me sitting in the lap of luxury in a full interior including a functioning sun roof.

I ran with Speed District at Buttonwillow in 2017, an event sponsored by Porsche of Fresno....incredible cross section of cars, new, old, exotic...you name it. Speed District runs a well organized tight event with a great cross section of cars

In closing, check out NASA. They run great events and class cars according to their weight to HP formula. I ran with them about 3X in 2017. Competing against BMW M3 cars...they were the fast guys in my GT4 class, very fast...did I say fast. Hope to see you at the track one of these days. Also check out Northern California Racing Club...they get dates at Buttonwillow, Laguna Seca and Thunder Hill.

Last edited by Martin S.; 01-23-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:53 AM
Antonov
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Great driving! Hope to see you out there some time.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:16 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

Good droving! What settings do you have the KWs on? I'm still experimenting with mine and haven't found the optimal adjustment.

Quick Reply: 993C2S Buttonwillow CW13 2:01:17 - Re71R/KW Review Pics