Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Sport cat X-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 11:02 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I have the Fabspeed sport cats on my 96 C2 coupe. Coupled with motor sound cans, the sound is awesome, not as loud as Fister IIIs, but a great note. I think it is one of the better sounding combinations available. The performance enhancement comes mostly at the top end, from 5500 RPMs up, so if you aren't up in that range, you won't notice as much. I have swapped the exhaust from OEM to the sport cats on several occasions, keeping everything else the same on the car, and with the sport cats, the car is much quicker to redline. With the OEM cat, there is a lessening of response at the top end. I don't have any quantitative data, but the difference is noticeable.

For the record, my motor has RS cams and is running an RS flash done by Steve Weiner on a 97 ECU. Which is also a combination I would highly recommend.
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (07-07-2023)
Old 01-20-2018, 11:54 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Todynot
The fabspeed dude pitches this ad then disappears? Hey fabspeed dude, don’t you want to respond and defend your HP claims?
I'd love to hear your response to Fabspeed's post / response. I have been very happy with my Fabspeed products and their customer service has been nothing short of fantastic.

BTW......My Butt Dyno definitely felt a difference with FS's X-Pipe and Sport Cats, Have you tried them, or just pissing?
The following users liked this post:
M. Schneider (07-07-2023)
Old 01-21-2018, 07:53 AM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

Well good morning sunshine. Glad to see the reply from FS, even if it’s only the plot already on their website.

I found it odd they went silent after posting what amounts to an advertisement post, then disappeared while some folks were throwing shade on their HP claims.

Glad your butt dyno works.

Go Pats!
Old 01-21-2018, 11:18 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

Guys what is the cost here for the X-Pipe and Spacers so I don't throw a CEL. Anybody that has them throwing a CEL. Deciding Y/N to install. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2018, 12:19 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I did not like the sound at all in combination with Fister II's - jut too obnoxious. But that's OK - all about perception. Purchased a used and complete system last year including 200 cell sport cats and cat-bypass pipes and gave it a try. No hp/torque gains for me. Matter of fact, the car felt actually slower...

Sold the system to a fellow Rennlister and I'm perfectly happy the way it is...

Last edited by Holytin; 01-21-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:34 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Guys what is the cost here for the X-Pipe and Spacers so I don't throw a CEL. Anybody that has them throwing a CEL. Deciding Y/N to install. Thanks!
the 993 sport car is $1895 http://www.fabspeed.com/porsche-993-...rt-cat-x-pipe/

and the O2 extenders at $125 each. http://www.fabspeed.com/universal-o2...tic-converter/ the 993 has 4 O2 sensors, but to avoid a CEL, I think only the post cat O2 extenders are necessary.

I haven't been driving my car much since my rebuild and install of the FS sport cats, but I did get a CEL that indicated an ineffective catalyst, I forget the number. It was about a year ago, and I just reset it off, and moved on. My smog isn't due until summer of 2018, so my plan is to monitor and see what happens. I will either go with the extenders, or just throw the OEM Cats back on. I would love to hear the experience of others.

FWIW, FS did a group buy for us about 2 maybe 3 years ago on the Sport Cats. I think there were about 20 RLers that participated, so there should be quite a few here that have experience. (and drive more than I do!)
Old 01-21-2018, 02:44 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Another very happy Fabspeed customer, I would go as far as saying the Sport Cats coupled my Stage II Fisters is among the top 3 mods on my 98 C4S. Only other mode I'd rate higher is perhaps the PSS10s.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:27 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

I didn’t jump on it then, but the Group Buy was about 2 years ago set up by Rennlister Martin S. IIRC, the discount brought the price to around 1400.
Gbos- No CEL here.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:22 PM
jj99c2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I picked up the x-pipe and sport cats back when we had the group buy and have been happy with them. They sound great and car "feels" like it pulls harder in the upper RPM band.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:58 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by P-daddy
I didn’t jump on it then, but the Group Buy was about 2 years ago set up by Rennlister Martin S. IIRC, the discount brought the price to around 1400.
Gbos- No CEL here.
$1,400 sounds more reasonable. Would have jumped on that.
Old 01-22-2018, 03:03 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

Anyone Ceramic coat their Fabspeed x-pipe? I bet some gains could be had with doing so. Ceramic coating could also keep temps down around the timing chain housing covers that are prone to leaking. Or maybe its a bad idea to Ceramic coat a Cat because it needs to get up to a certain temp to work properly. Something to think about.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:53 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
Anyone Ceramic coat their Fabspeed x-pipe? I bet some gains could be had with doing so. Ceramic coating could also keep temps down around the timing chain housing covers that are prone to leaking. Or maybe its a bad idea to Ceramic coat a Cat because it needs to get up to a certain temp to work properly. Something to think about.
i coatef my Cargraphic Xpipe but they told me not too as the cat could fail something about the soldering inside. The place I took it too specializes in ceramic exhaust coating and said their process is ok. It sounds great not sure save for metal flying out how else I would know if I screwed it up.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:56 PM
Dr. Ferdinand
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
I didn't do the FabSpeed cats, but did opt for the ceramic coating on my Fister IIs
Old 01-22-2018, 07:25 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Analog Theory

i coatef my Cargraphic Xpipe but they told me not too as the cat could fail something about the soldering inside. The place I took it too specializes in ceramic exhaust coating and said their process is ok. It sounds great not sure save for metal flying out how else I would know if I screwed it up.
Since the Fabspeed has two configurations. Ceramic coat the Cat deletes and piping. When using the Cat portion, keep them uncoated. That might work. It seems like a lot of heat is
being generated from our 993 stock exhaust. Ceramic coating more than just our mufflers has to be a benefit.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:21 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

If you are running the sport cat x-pipe there is no need to get the O2 Spacers because this will not throw a CEL because you still have Cat's.

Now if you are running a Cat bypass x-pipe you can try the spacers with that pipe. We have had some great success with the catted spacers to deal with the CEL from going with a cat bypass.

On to ceramic coating I would not suggest ceramic coating the catted x-pipe for a couple of reasons.
First, the cats do have to get very hot in order to work properly.
Second, If the ceramic coating is not done properly it could flake. There are many curvaceous on a cat even our sport cats and one venerable spot could really effect your engine.Those flakes could fall off and that would not be great for the engine.

If you would want to ceramic coat the sport cat bypass x-pipe but the is not much benefit to this because it is so free flowing.

We are not against ceramic coating here and recognize many of its benefits. It has to be done properly.

Last edited by Fabspeed Motorsport; 01-23-2018 at 02:22 PM.

Quick Reply: 993 Sport cat X-pipe