Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Elephant bump steer tie rod spacer advice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 06:33 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Elephant bump steer tie rod spacer advice?

I am going to put in some new solid tie rods from Elephant. My inners were worn so decided to get these instead to replace both the inner and outer at the same time.

They come with multiple spacers to adjust how close you want the tie rod to be to the knuckle/carrier, which can impact bump steer. I don't want to shell out 2k for custom RS carriers which is the real solution to this problem.

My car is right above RS height.

Have any of you used this kit before and can send me a pic or let me know how you have installed the spacers.

The tie rod ball joint is long and my pss10s get in the way which means I have to take off the struts from the carrier if I want to change the sequence of the spacers.

Thanks!
Attached Images    
Old 01-01-2018, 07:47 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Haven't used those, but what you want to do is get the tie-do end to sit about parallel to the ground (level surface). When you lower the car, without any change in tie-rod geometry, you've removed some of its travel. When it runs out of travel, that's where the "bump steer" is induced. Use the spacer to get end of tie-rod back to neutral position of its travel. Hope this makes sense. The car's suspension should be loaded. Obviously the RS carriers, and corresponding outer tie-rod ends, set the geometry.

Correction: the tie-rods need to be lowered, so they're level with ground.

Last edited by OverBoosted28; 01-02-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 09:59 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I will report back which spacer combination works with my ride height.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:14 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Would it help if you temporarily removed the PSS10 adjuster ****?

Andreas
Old 01-01-2018, 10:16 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Would it help if you temporarily removed the PSS10 adjuster ****?
Andreas
I didn't know you could remove it. Thanks for that idea!
Old 01-02-2018, 08:29 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

I just shot an email off to Elephant with a similar question- specifically what ride height range is optimal for use with this product. The instructions state to measure bump steer with the spacers in various arrangements but without access to a bump steer gauge I hope for some advice for at least a ballpark starting point. Im pretty sure my car is well below the ideal geometry for the stock uprights so my guess is that the total 3/16”s of spacers will end up in the “maximum” location below the steering arm. Mines a 964 and not sure if there’s any difference between the 933. If anyone can clear that up I’ll post whatever reply I get in this thread.

For others following along here here are Elephants instructions :

https://www.elephantracing.com/suspension/instructions/2180018_Bump-Steer-Correction-Tie-Rod-Kit-Instructions.pdf?iframe=true&width=80%&height=95%

pete
Old 01-02-2018, 12:06 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
I just shot an email off to Elephant with a similar question- specifically what ride height range is optimal for use with this product. The instructions state to measure bump steer with the spacers in various arrangements but without access to a bump steer gauge I hope for some advice for at least a ballpark starting point. Im pretty sure my car is well below the ideal geometry for the stock uprights so my guess is that the total 3/16”s of spacers will end up in the “maximum” location below the steering arm. Mines a 964 and not sure if there’s any difference between the 933. If anyone can clear that up I’ll post whatever reply I get in this thread.

For others following along here here are Elephants instructions :

https://www.elephantracing.com/suspe...80%&height=95%

pete
The tie-rod needs to be level with ground as much as possible, so use spacers to achieve that. If it's sitting too high, not sure how any spacers would lower it???? That's where it being on the bottom of knuckle (RS carriers), resolve it.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:40 AM
ftlaud911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the spacer at the bottom. My kit only came with a thick spacer. I called and evidently newer kits had a revision and now come with only one spacer. To get the most correction all spacers go under. At RS height I would assume u want the most correction as possible. I saw a reduction of bumpsteer of about 80%. Feels way better and steering got slightly more responsive removing inner tie rod rubber. Was hoping to get zero play, but I guess there is nothing left to fix in an older car.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:09 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 310 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by ftlaud911
I put the spacer at the bottom. My kit only came with a thick spacer. I called and evidently newer kits had a revision and now come with only one spacer. To get the most correction all spacers go under. At RS height I would assume u want the most correction as possible. I saw a reduction of bumpsteer of about 80%. Feels way better and steering got slightly more responsive removing inner tie rod rubber. Was hoping to get zero play, but I guess there is nothing left to fix in an older car.
Did the newer kit come with a revised shorter stud on the outer tie rod? I know some people had to remove the shock to install the tie rod end to the upright on the first kits that went out.
If Elephant is supplying only one spacer now. I don't see the use of such a long stud.

Last edited by 911F1; 01-03-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:17 PM
red67vert
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are RS height, put both spacers on the bottom.
I'm ROW and put thin spacer on top, thick on the bottom.
M030/FSD's Elephant Sport bushings etc. very happy!
Old 04-01-2018, 03:37 PM
Porsche-ah
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Any updates on this one? How did the install go? I'm about to pull the trigger on this kit.

TIA.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:14 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Sorry forgot to update this thread. The upgrade is great. Noticable improvement in steering responsiveness. I am close to RS height and the steering is less twitchy over bumps. I cross a long bridge on my commute and with this upgrade while there is still some bump steer, it is less noticable than before when I go over the griders.

Here are a few pics. I elected for maximum correction which puts the spacers on the bottom. I have more pics in my build blog in my signature. Thanks
Attached Images    

Last edited by samurai_k; 04-01-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:01 PM
Porsche-ah
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Awesome! Thanks so much. Did you have to remove the shock to install these?

Also if it's no trouble... Do you have a side shot of your car? Just so I can visually reference your ride height against mine?

***EDIT***
Found all the pictures and answers I needed in your build thread... Very impressive might I add!

Last edited by Porsche-ah; 04-01-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:18 AM
ftlaud911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to remove my strut to get the room to install. Didn't matter since I needed an alignment after anyways. Made it slightly more difficult, but not much. I still like mine. I rarely ever feel bumpsteer now. Cheap alternative to replacing the Carrier/hub. It isn't perfect, but for the price I am happy I bought it. Also stock tie rods looked rusty and were 10 yrs old. I also did new poly bushings on the control arms. Front feels tight now.

Quick Reply: Elephant bump steer tie rod spacer advice?