993 Forum 1995-1998

Want Absolute softest ride 993

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 12:09 PM
Macs993
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
I did similar with M030 springs and shocks - done many a road trip, some for days and the wife's sensitive behind reckons it is the most comfortable car we've had for touring. For spirited driving it could do with being a fair bit stiffer and I am trying to figure out a new setup that will satisfy both. It will be a shame if I ruin the touring ride - wondering if throwing money at Ohlins could be the answer....
I would gladly put OEM Monroe’s back in but can’t find them. I loved the way the car drove when I purchased it new; so did my wife. I cannot see us taking a trip with the Bilstein B6 s. I’m gettin close to retirement and we want to do some touring in it.
Anybody know where I can get the stock Monroe’s?
Old 12-29-2017, 04:06 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might want to check with Darin @ FD Motorsports as he has replaced many OEM shocks and may have a few sitting around but not new or known to be rebuildable......
Old 12-29-2017, 08:46 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 272 Posts

Macs993, just sent you an e-mail.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:11 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivan J
IMO, this sort of thinking is very misguided. The same applies to the notion of not wanting to pay for adjustability, because "that isn't something I need". One doesn't need to continually fiddle with the adjustments in order to realize the value that they bring to the table. There is no shame in setting them at the lowest damping and leaving them there, if that provides what you want from your suspension.

The beauty of the PSS10 system is that the valving is digressive, and the springs are matched to the valves. This is key to a good suspension system, which is why they ride so much better than the B6/B8 setup with whatever springs.

There aren't many alternatives to the PSS10 in this price range, KW comes to mind. If you want the ultimate, be prepared to spend a lot more.

Finally, my understanding is that the B6/B8s are not rebuildable. If this is true, I would avoid them.
Hi Ivan, I'm sorry if I came across as dismissive, and I agree with your response above. I installed PSS-10's for exactly the reasons you mention (still fiddling, I'll probably be running on the softer side, our roads are really bad).

What I was trying to express was that if the OP is looking for comfort above all else, and already running on very tall sidewalls, it would be a shame for him to try to solve his problem for $3 or 4K and find out that as great as they are, the PSS-10's are not designed to be a comfort package. That's all.

I think the Monroe angle might actually make sense in this application. I would also recommend that the OP ride along in some other local cars to see if there is something that verifiably meets his requirements. You never know - there are a lot of 993's running all manner of suspensions alternatives. What's harsh to one person is a pillow to another.

Cheers

Matt
Old 12-30-2017, 08:44 AM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Pal of mine went with the Konis and the M033 springs. I had a ride in it, sweet...and his car was on 17" wheels.
I have M033 and the Koni FSD's with 17" wheels and while the car rides nicely and soaks up the imperfections of the road well as long as you hit them straight on. I notice that if one or other of the front wheels hits a divet or uneven section of the road first then you can feel a jolt through the steering wheel.

As there are definitely things that were done to the car that there are no record of, I'm wondering if all the bushings have been replaced by something racier. One other thing I wonder about is the very beefy sway bars on the car. Would this effect slow speed ride going over imperfections on just one side or the other?

I flet my previous 96 had a more compliant ride. At least it did until I swapped the 17" for 18"'s.

G
Old 12-30-2017, 10:08 AM
Macs993
Advanced

I think Koni FSD are probably the direction I will go. There is too much labor involved to go with used Monroe’s and I can’t find new ones. The feedback on the Classic shocks are not good and for the price they are asking I would expect better. I would like to put in PSS10 because they appear to have better technology, but many who have them don’t think that they are what I am looking for even on the lowest setting. I wish I could drive a car with them.
I would like to thank all of the Rennlist members for their advice. This is a really incredible resource to be able to discuss a problem with so many other 993 owners. Thank you!
Old 12-30-2017, 10:40 AM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Old 12-30-2017, 01:53 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Hi Ivan, I'm sorry if I came across as dismissive, and I agree with your response above. I installed PSS-10's for exactly the reasons you mention (still fiddling, I'll probably be running on the softer side, our roads are really bad).

What I was trying to express was that if the OP is looking for comfort above all else, and already running on very tall sidewalls, it would be a shame for him to try to solve his problem for $3 or 4K and find out that as great as they are, the PSS-10's are not designed to be a comfort package. That's all.

I think the Monroe angle might actually make sense in this application. I would also recommend that the OP ride along in some other local cars to see if there is something that verifiably meets his requirements. You never know - there are a lot of 993's running all manner of suspensions alternatives. What's harsh to one person is a pillow to another.
No worries Matt, I get where you're coming from. I probably come across as pushing the PSS10 kit; but, that is just because I've been so happy with it. Even with 18" wheels, I find the softest setting to be too soft, which is why I think they can function reasonably well as a "comfort" shock . I'm amazed when others who have the same setup mention that they are still on the harsh-side. I run mine at 3-front/4-rear. As you and others have said, comfort is a very subjective thing. The best thing the OP can do is ride-along with others to get a sense of what suits him.

BTW, the PSS10 kit can usually be bought for about $2400. When one considers that the cost of installation and/or realignment is a common denominator, this is not a huge premium over the cost of a new set of struts and springs.

GMORAT brought-up a good point about sway-bars... I am still running the original sway-bars, I haven't felt the need to change them. Intuitively, heavier sway bars should make a difference in terms of perceived harshness. Perhaps this factors into the wide range of user's experiences with the PSS10 kit?
Old 12-30-2017, 04:07 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivan J
Perhaps this factors into the wide range of user's experiences with the PSS10 kit?
Still have the stock sways on my car and have no intention of replacing them since the car handles just fine for the street. The former race car had big TRG sways and still rode better with the Motons. Currently have 18" BBS LMs with 265 rear tires that are slightly taller than ideal, but the old car had Fikse FMs with 285s or 295s in the rear and correct aspect ratios.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:59 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

Interesting point about the sways. In addition to any worn out bushings, stiffer anti roll will make a difference. I have upgraded to Turbo (non-adjustables) and that is certainly part of the equation.

PS - for the OP, I saw a stock suspension NIB in the classifieds. Maybe that would work for you?

Cheers

Matt
Old 12-30-2017, 11:20 PM
Macs993
Advanced

Thanks
Old 12-31-2017, 01:24 AM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm very interested to see how the FSDs work out, as I would also like to soften my car up (so please let us know your impressions). I'm torn between FSDs, PSS10s, and a set of custom-valved Bilsteins.

- I've read a lot about the FSDs having a slightly smoother-than-stock ride with significantly improved motion control, but I wonder if that will be enough. People seem very happy with them over, say, stock shocks on a BMW 1-Series or Mini Cooper.

- What I like about the PSS10s is that they're a matched system (springs and dampers) which is pretty damn important for a suspension (again, so I've read), but I have the same fear of them not being soft enough when all is said and done. If they go softer than the smoothest stock dampers, the only downside seems to be cost, which I'm willing to bear to achieve my goals.

- When I spoke to Bilstein about custom-valved shocks, they seemed to think that I would not be able to achieve a smoother ride with stock motion control, but could only achieve stock ride quality with superior motion control. So I dunno if they're the right solution.

My car has 125k miles on the original M030 shocks, but the car still handles wonderfully, if a tad bit harshly (in my opinion). I don't remember what the car felt like in its early days, 'cause it wasn't mine to drive. All the bushings are original as well, so that's a good 20 years of weathering (and probably hardening). Maybe anything would be an improvement for me, but I've never known shocks to get stiffer when worn...

On my '84, I went from crazy stiff springs and shocks to stock and the difference was significant but not dramatic. I eventually removed the racing sways that were still on there and the difference was massive. The suspension is a system, and the strongest link might be what the harshness is coming from.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:37 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

out of topic: what a nice color/wheel combination the car of yours .........!

Old 12-31-2017, 10:40 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Macs993
I would gladly put OEM Monroe’s back in but can’t find them.
I could not find them by drilling down through the sections/links on Pelican - but if entered the below PN in Pelican to search, they are all (today) showing available to ship within 2-3 days. These are what I bought:
Shock Front Left: 993-343-041-35
Shock Front Right: 993-343-042-35
Shock Rear Left: 993-333-051-36
Shock Rear Right: 993-333-052-36
Springs Front: 965-343-531-02-504
Springs Rear: 993-333-531-20-504
Old 12-31-2017, 11:16 AM
Macs993
Advanced

Originally Posted by LimeyBoy
I could not find them by drilling down through the sections/links on Pelican - but if entered the below PN in Pelican to search, they are all (today) showing available to ship within 2-3 days. These are what I bought:
Shock Front Left: 993-343-041-35
Shock Front Right: 993-343-042-35
Shock Rear Left: 993-333-051-36
Shock Rear Right: 993-333-052-36
Springs Front: 965-343-531-02-504
Springs Rear: 993-333-531-20-504
wow. Good news. I will call them Tuesday thanks

Quick Reply: Want Absolute softest ride 993