RUF on the Pacific Coast Highway, Pics & Write-up

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 01:40 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default RUF on the Pacific Coast Highway, Pics & Write-up

Hi Folks,

Sunday we had beautiful weather (finally), so we took the RUF out onto Highway 1 for some scenic shots. Please see this Imagestation album for pictures.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288315979

Now I have a few hundred miles driving the RUF, here are more thoughts on the car.

If I can use only one word to describe the car, it would be ‘SOLID’. From the ‘Klup’ closing the doors, to the ‘snick snick’ shifting gears, to the ‘click’ of the signal stalk, everything is precise and solid, no slops, no play. The build quality is far superior to any car I’ve driven or own. The throttle, brake, steering, and clutch responses are all ‘immediate’. I don’t wait for anything. It’s a joy to have such responsiveness to all my commands. Wish my kids come this way.

I can dial in the ‘turbo kick’ at will now. Mesh the pedal, and the kick comes on like a hammer at 3,800 RPM. Feed the throttle progressively, and its linear power surges all the way to redline. I actually enjoy feeding the throttle progressively more than the WOT runs. Feeling the bottomless power coming on is intoxicating. This car does not accelerate, it squirts, kind of like squids. Many times, I’d be abreast with other cars, apply throttle, and the other cars just leapt to the background. I’m always slowing down on freeway merges to blend in the traffic. Since the RUF can basically blast all other cars off the road, I have to constantly remind myself: be patient, share the road, stay behind them, don’t intimidate. It certainly helps build characters.

High speed runs, up to 140+ MPH, finds the car stable, planted, and not a twitch in its road manners. In one stretch on Highway 1, I was behind a BMW motorcycle following three cars. Passing lane opened up and the lead cars peeled to the slow lane. The Bike took off in the passing lane and I followed. After we cleared the three cars, the bike stayed in the fast lane. I went right to pass, and he decided to play. We gunned it together and I began to pass him at around 100 MPH. At around 120 MPH we came to a left hand sweeper. He got nervous and slowed down. I took the curve at 120+, grinning ear to ear. When the passing lanes ended, he was but a speck in the rear view mirror. The rest of the drive, I stayed on the right on passing situations, yet he never came back to challenge again.

The RUF at 120 MPH in sweepers stays flat and neutral. We can feel our shoulders pressing into the bolsters, but we detected virtually no body leans or weight shifting to the outside wheels. In vary tight corners on Woodside Road, the car just stayed glued. It corners much better than the M5 and the Miata. It is just amazing how this suspension can dial out the body lean, the under-steer/over-steer, and yet stay so compliant at high speeds. Road sections that used to jar my bones in the Miata now just ‘thud’ as we drove over them. It is a totally unexpected and pleasant surprise.

Look-wise, it draws gawkers like bees to honey. We had lunch at Alice’s Restaurant and were amused to see a young man, bent at the waist, circling the car checking everything inside. Every time I start the engine, or blip the throttle, folks around me would turn to look. I’ve MANY cars on the road circling around checking me out. I think the black tires and the big tail catch their eyes. I have never had this kind of attention in the M5 before. I actually kinda like it, at least for now.

OK, until I have more worthy driving stories or pics. Happy holidays to all.

CP
Old 12-16-2003, 01:51 AM
max911
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 53 Posts

great pictures and great story! thanks for sharing.
max
Old 12-16-2003, 03:14 AM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice pictures and story, Pong

Thanks for sharing
Old 12-16-2003, 03:46 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

thanks for those pics and excellent write up!!!! man, that brought back too many great memories.

http://gallery.rennlist.com/gallery/albup79
Old 12-16-2003, 12:29 PM
CP
Race Director

Harry,

Great album. Is the album available to Rennlist members?

Pin,
If you are around, I need to ask your help in a few things, car as well as Rennlist related. I'll e-mail you.

CP
Old 12-16-2003, 01:43 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Too bad you didn't have a good bike rider pressing you. He would have smoked you.
Try taking the car to Willow Springs and not racing on Hwy 1, and let's see how
fast you can corner and handle the car. Leave the street racing for the school kids.

A M5 or a Miata are real good comparisons for cornering, aren't they?

Loren
'88 3.2, '04 BMW Boxer Cup, '02 Ducati 996
Old 12-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Lightbulb Response to Ruf (Long)

What follows is a long post…very slow at the office today: I agree with Loren in the sense that if you really want to test the car's handling, and your cajones, Willow Springs is the place to do it. 993TT cars get over 150 on the front straight, and if they can keep it on the track, they should see 130+ coming out of Turn 8 into Turn 9.

As far as bikes taking the corners quickly, the only thing a biker has going against them, they have no steel shell to protect them should the bike break loose. If I were a biker on the road, I might not take as many chances as I would/could in a car. All I know is the CHiP plays hell catching the rice rockets on the Angeles Crest and other speed venues in Cali. I also know that the Rice Rockets post some pretty spectacular times at Willow Springs. I suspect that a well driven Ruf car could see a 1:29, possibly better at Willow Springs. I further suspect that someone could make a $10,000 investment in a Rice Rocket, buy a full set of leathers, put on track tires, take some driving lesions and they could match, or beat a 1:29. Keep in mind a stock Rice Rocket > 1,000 ccs, will do a ¼ mile in 9 seconds at a terminal velocity of 140 mph. Very few cars in the world can match this pace.

Personally, as much as I would just love to do some speed runs of 100+ for long periods of time between Track Fixes, I just don't do it. Why? I don't want a reckless driving ticket. In Cali, the points are about the same as a DUI, ouch!

And secondly, I believe the "public" already resents Porsche drivers from the get go as we drive the speed limits or thereabouts. When we blow by John Q. Public with a 50+ mph speed delta, this only serves to confirm their conclusions.

Not to say I have not seen 140 mph on the road...I have. I must confess it has been on the way back from Willow Springs on the back roads over to I 15. I choose this spot because I am pretty darn certain I can get away with serious speeding, and that John Q. Public is not around to observe my behavior, OR, rat me out on his cell phone. The cell phone Rat Out can lead to some well-placed CHP tire spikes. In addition one must always remember that CHP monitors the back roads form the air in daylight hours.

If I wanted to see triple digits on a regular basis, I would have a damn good scanner in my car tuned to the local CHP, both ground and air frequencies as well as a Valentine 1 radar/laser detector. I had a scanner in my former Porsche, and many a time going up to Laguna on Highway 33, I heard the CHP on their Blue channel calling out speeders to the CHiP guys on the ground.

Regardless...do what you have to do. At least all is good knowing you are driving a Ruf prepared Porsche.

And finally to Loren, I have been a passenger in a mildly prepared Miata at Willow Springs...cornering power? Awesome...on the fist trip out I noticed that the driver hardly used the brakes on Turn 1, did not even tap the brakes for Turn 2. Very little breaking going into 9, an on the gas very early...this goes for a very speedy exit out of 9 on to the front straight...of course in a few moments the Miata is out of HP and the Big HP cars will blow by, but look out in the corners. We were readily able to reel in a C5 Corvette in the corners as well as some Bimmer cars, but not M5 cars. I would think that a M5 would be very fast in the corners, at least they have been really quick when I have been on the track with them...perhaps it is because I am so slow?
Old 12-16-2003, 03:47 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Well put Martin!

I rarely drive/ride over 100 mph in my Porsche nor on my bikes. Who needs the
tickets or possible accidents the result of OTHER drivers?

Bikes can turn a 1.28 or a little better at Willow. The fast Porsches can do 1.18s.
In the tight twisties, e.g. Latigo/Stunt/Tuna Canyon, the bikes can smoke most cars.

Crazy drivers ruin it for all of us. The CHP then starts the crack-down on all
Porsches 5 mph over the speed limit. The Porsche guys that meet on Sundays
in the canyons don't help matters with the CHP. Fast bikers usually just kill
themselves, but fast Porsches that crash usually can kill others, e.g bicyclists.

Have Fun
Loren
'88 3.2, '04 BMW BCR, '02 Ducati 996
Old 12-16-2003, 04:17 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CP's post said the bike was a BMW, and didn't specify which model. In any event, it was not one of the absurdly fast Japanese bikes. It seems entirely plausible that a RUF BTR could leave behind even a well-ridden BMW bike in the situation he described. Whether it was wise is a seperate issue.
Old 12-16-2003, 04:47 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts

Loren has said what I wanted to say, thanks Loren. Loren writes, "Crazy drivers ruin it for all of us. The CHP then starts the crack-down on all Porsches 5 mph over the speed limit. The Porsche guys that meet on Sundaysin the canyons don't help matters with the CHP. Fast bikers usually just kill themselves, but fast Porsches that crash usually can kill others, e.g bicyclists."

If you need a speed fix in Cali, there are many, many events to choose from, with excellent no cost instruction provided. Starting with POC, TracQuest, PCA, etc... I can't vouch for the instructors at Alfa Club, Pantera Club, Viper Days...but I know first hand that POC, TracQuest and PCA have an excellent cadre of instructors to choose from.

Here is the best part, you can take an absolutely bone stock Porsche car to the track, and it will perform like a race car. It will most likely be reliable, and the best part, at the end of the day, peel off the magnetic numbers, jump in, crank up the CD player, and drive yourself home in comfort.

You don't have to put on special tires, special brake pads, nada, nothing. The only mandatory chore, start with fresh Super Blue brake fluid. TracQuest will let you run with stock safety equipment. Non-roll bar convertible Porsche cars, pre-993 will be confined to the Yellow Group...the Yellow Group can be plenty fast in one of Todd's TracQuest events. Take that car to the track ASAP...you need the speed fix!
Old 12-16-2003, 05:11 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CP,

Martin et al are right -- track events are absolutely awesome.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:05 PM
GTR 993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great post and nice pics of your car I wish I had a Ruf. As far as leaving the racing to "the school kids" I don't see anything wrong with hitting the throttle every once in awhile your using your judgement at that time as I do some times. 2. In regards to a "motorcycle being faster or handling better" than your car, I don't really see the point in saying that???? A Honda Civic can be made faster than his car what's the point? In addition to a Miata or an M5 can handle as well as his car with modification, matter of fact they handle pretty well stock.

Unless you know the exact circumstances he was in when he was driving fast I think the negative comments are a little unnecessary. I seriously doubt a couple of Porshes getting pulled over is going to throw signals up for the CHP to pull over all Porsches going over 5 mph. If that were the case every "Honda" in California would get pulled over for nothing.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:41 PM
CP
Race Director

Default Re: Response to Ruf (Long)

Originally posted by Martin S.

And finally to Loren, I have been a passenger in a mildly prepared Miata at Willow Springs...cornering power? Awesome...on the fist trip out I noticed that the driver hardly used the brakes on Turn 1, did not even tap the brakes for Turn 2. Very little breaking going into 9, an on the gas very early...this goes for a very speedy exit out of 9 on to the front straight...of course in a few moments the Miata is out of HP and the Big HP cars will blow by, but look out in the corners. We were readily able to reel in a C5 Corvette in the corners as well as some Bimmer cars, but not M5 cars. I would think that a M5 would be very fast in the corners, at least they have been really quick when I have been on the track with them...perhaps it is because I am so slow?
Just to clarify, I'm 53 years old, and not a hot-blooded road racer. I'm usually a very gentle driver, thus not really track material (I baby my cars TOO much ). While I have gone over triple digits on public roads, it's really rare occasions when that happens. Mostly only to see how the car behaves at such speeds. I did not go looking to race the bike. I peeled right after clearing all three cars but he chose to accelerate to stay ahead of me.

Martin,

Thanks for coming to the defense of the 'lowly' Miata.

I know the Miata does not get respect from 'real' sports car owners/drivers but that car is awesome in the corners in its own right. My friend runs with the red group in his 996tt at Laguna Seca, and posts slower lap time than Miatas with suspension mods. The Miata is so light (2,180#) it can brake much later into corners. As my friend noted: "every 5 mph that the Miata does not loose into the turns is 5 mph that it does not need to gain back after the turn." My previous Miata is a 205 HP super-charged car with Bilstein coil overs. It is no Porsche but it corners like the devil. It's no slouch in the straight either (10.8#/HP, 0-60 in 6.4 sec).

The M5 holds very well in the corners as well. However, since it is tall, and relatively heavy (4,080 #) it just 'feel' ponderous and less awe inspiring than a Porsche.

CP

Last edited by CP; 12-16-2003 at 10:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:33 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

i don't think any experienced drives will look down on miata. if they do, they probably don't drive too well!

just bought my 5th miata. this time a spec miata, see you all on track
Old 12-19-2003, 05:40 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally posted by CP
Harry,

Great album. Is the album available to Rennlist members?

Pin,
If you are around, I need to ask your help in a few things, car as well as Rennlist related. I'll e-mail you.

CP
the album is available to anyone.

Quick Reply: RUF on the Pacific Coast Highway, Pics & Write-up