Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

What size spacers are you using with your MY02 BBS wheels?

Old 12-13-2017, 12:14 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What size spacers are you using with your MY02 BBS wheels?

Overdue for tires. At first I was considering different tire sizes than the stock 265/225 to fill out the gap between tires and fenders but then learned all about the differences in outer diameters (sidewall heights) at different tire widths and the drawbacks like loss of torque or wheel width limitations, poor ABS function etc. I am now leaning toward stock tire sizes once more. Hoping a few of you can share details on what size spacers you run F/R, what tire sizes/brand and any photos you can share to show fender gap relative to tire would be a great help for me and any others in same boat as me.im trying to find spacers/tires to get tires closer to fender edges similar to the Hartmann’s I used to have. Never knew my offsets but they seemed to sit further out than the MY02s.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:11 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

5mm front and rear
Old 12-13-2017, 04:34 PM
MM993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cactus
5mm front and rear
+1
Old 12-13-2017, 09:35 PM
Magicscott
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
5mm front and rear
I've thinking about adding spacers too to my MY02 wheels. With 5 mm spacers, is there a need change to longer wheel studs or can you use the original factory studs safely?

Magic
Old 12-13-2017, 11:36 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Magicscott
I've thinking about adding spacers too to my MY02 wheels. With 5 mm spacers, is there a need change to longer wheel studs or can you use the original factory studs safely?

Magic
You’ll be fine with 5mm, Magic. No need for longer studs.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:22 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

I know that Porsche sells 5mm spacers that I think are a 996 part number. 5mm seems fine for my FRONT wheels (BBS MY02s) which have 2mm variance in offset (50et) versus turbo twists that have 52et. So if I understand et correctly, this means my MY02s matched with 5mm spacers would sit outward an extra 3mm versus a turbo twist and probably would be good. The rears are the real question. Rears with a 5mm spacer seems like maybe that won't be quite enough outward positioning to get the look I'm after. Until someone can actually show me a few pictures with a lowered car on 265s in back with 5mm spacers I really can't decide for sure. If a few of you out there can attach some photos this thread would be helpful for not only me but for anyone else who is dealing with this same question.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:48 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...el-pics-2.html
Looks from these pix like 7mm is what I need based on the Carrera III fitment sitting about where I'd like my MY02s to be be. Longer studs needed?
Old 12-16-2017, 03:50 PM
jcochran1
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

I think this is what you're looking for. These are some old pics of my car with 7mm rear and 5mm front spacers, stock studs, no rubbing with these wheels or my Twists. My Work wheels though did rub in the rear just slightly so I put 5mm in the rear and the rubbing stopped. Ride height here I believe was RS +8 or so, its been awhile since I measured it so I can't be sure.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:57 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

JC1,
Really like the look and thanks for posting. Your car looks great. Always wanted a silver 993 instead of this murderous to maintain black one. Anyway, those photos you shared are exactly what I was seeking. You also provided me with the confirmation on correct spacer sizes that I was hoping for. Since Porsche doesn't offer a 7mm spacer (so far as I know) any suggestions on where to buy them?
Old 01-21-2018, 01:03 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

For future reference to anyone who does a search in the future on this topic and wants to know what works well when running BBS MY02s and stock tire sizes. Went with 5s and 7s. Hubcentric. Perfect fitment with 225s and 265s. No rubbing. Mid RS ride height. Totally satisfied with outcome. Unexpected result is that it that feels like it livened up the handling/steering response. All good. My mechanic who is all about the air cooled cars gave the go ahead with 7s as being the max safe size at rear without need for longer studs. Has done a number of cars this way over the years using the exact same setup and no failures.

Old 05-20-2018, 04:03 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

So after running these spacers for a bit and putting on a hundred miles or so I think the handling feel is a bit too twitchy. My car is at mid-RS ride height and I have the M030 anti-sway bars (thicker than stock I believe). Is what I’m experiencing attributed more to the slightly wider track or is this most likely an alignment issue? The camber a very flat as I was trying to maximize tire wear. Tires do wear very evenly in the rear and like most 993’s the fronts have lasted an eternity. Any thoughts on settling things so handling is less squirrelly feeling?
Old 05-21-2018, 03:07 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
So after running these spacers for a bit and putting on a hundred miles or so I think the handling feel is a bit too twitchy. My car is at mid-RS ride height and I have the M030 anti-sway bars (thicker than stock I believe). Is what I’m experiencing attributed more to the slightly wider track or is this most likely an alignment issue? The camber a very flat as I was trying to maximize tire wear. Tires do wear very evenly in the rear and like most 993’s the fronts have lasted an eternity. Any thoughts on settling things so handling is less squirrelly feeling?
welcome to air cooled ownership... cars that are truly analog LOL

check tire pressures, reduce to low 30's front, mid 30's rear

go to less front bar

one man's twitchy is another man's ocean of calm
Old 05-21-2018, 05:20 PM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
If properly aligned the car should not be twitchy.

Do you know when the car was last aligned? Was the shop experienced with 993's - especially the KT? A 993 will exploit weaknesses in your alignment technician for sure!
Old 05-21-2018, 06:48 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Twitchy may be a bit of an overstatement of what I'm experiencing but not exactly an "ocean of calm" in my book. The alignment was done by Rusnak Porsche in Westlake Village that has proper Kinematic Toe tools etc. The guy there (I don't recall his name) was referred to me from this board and although done several years ago tires are wearing absolutely evenly. Nothing was changed except new rubber in back and the spacers. All the bushings are relatively new. Bilstein PSS9s are at mid setting and ride is like the day I got them. Things are pretty tip-top as far as I can tell. Just feels like it wants to dart - to be going left or going right and doesn't take much wheel input to get it headed either direction in a hurry. Pressures are to spec per the door jamb placard. May try playing with the pressures and see how that changes things.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:34 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't know what spacers cost, but when you guys put a 5 mm spacer on your wheels we are only talking about a smidgen (.013") over 3/16" outward... @ 10 ft, I strongly doubt that anyone would even notice...

But if you're handling feels unsettled by adding the spacers, then by all means, add the spacers.

MY02 996 wheels are 8 & 10's with ET's of 50 & 65mm, respectively. Lessening the ET by adding spacers, will most definitely change the handling characteristics, as will tire pressure.

My suggestion would be to save your money for something more meaningful, that would enhance handling, performance, or both.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What size spacers are you using with your MY02 BBS wheels?