Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Brake pad sensor light and warning light

Old 01-01-2023, 08:04 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Brake pad sensor light and warning light

I’ve replaced all the sensors. Still get warning light.
ohmed them out all are good.

Checked brake fluid, it’s full, added a smidge just to be sure.

jumpered the fluid sensor connector to check that.

warning light still on.

could be a break somewhere, but that would be hard to find.

is there a way to find which corner is unhappy?

Tia!

Old 01-02-2023, 05:05 AM
orangecurry
Burning Brakes

Received 377 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
I’ve replaced all the sensors.
warning light still on.

could be a break somewhere, but that would be hard to find.

is there a way to find which corner is unhappy?
Tia!
Yes there are Porsche diagnostic tools, but not sure which would work on your car.
I've never invested in a diagnostic tool for anything pre ODB-2, as they are too marque specific and too specialized. IMO take it to your local Porsche Indy and pay them to diagnose the issue.

I did this for a recent intermittent ABS light that I could not find any problem to explain - the shop's tool diagnosed front right, and when they dug it out, it broke apart and was going rusty internally, so I'd have never been able to find that.

To check each new sensor in situ is quite simple, but it's unlikely to be the problem.

Have you still got the old sensors? Take one (or all) and about six inches from the plug cut both wires. Throw away the sensor, but join together the wires from the plug. You now have a plug-with-no-sensor that will always read 'good'.

Either connect one at a time or all four and see if the light goes out.

Seems unlikely you have a bad new sensor however.

Last edited by orangecurry; 01-02-2023 at 05:23 AM.
Old 01-02-2023, 12:52 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,016 Posts

Hi Tia,
The sensor pigtail plug is exposed to a lot of moisture and road debris. I would clean out all the sensor plugs and sockets with spray electronic cleaner while inspecting the pigtails for corrosion, abrasion, or other damage.
I would reassemble each using a small amount of dielectric grease to inhibit corrosion. I suspect doing that may solve your problem. For a street-driven car, I feel brake pad sensors are only needed if one does not inspect their brakes every few years when the wheels are off for other reasons. My car is subject to state inspections and I look at the wheel ends occasionally so I cut the sensor pigtail wires soldered them together and mounted them neatly with tie wraps. Makes changing pads a bit easier and less expensive. One can reuse the spiders (squeal silencer clips) at pad changes discussed on this page:
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...es-rotors.html

Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 01-02-2023 at 01:45 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pp000830:
orangecurry (01-02-2023), rdad993 (01-07-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 03:30 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by orangecurry
Yes there are Porsche diagnostic tools, but not sure which would work on your car.
I've never invested in a diagnostic tool for anything pre ODB-2, as they are too marque specific and too specialized. IMO take it to your local Porsche Indy and pay them to diagnose the issue.

I did this for a recent intermittent ABS light that I could not find any problem to explain - the shop's tool diagnosed front right, and when they dug it out, it broke apart and was going rusty internally, so I'd have never been able to find that.

To check each new sensor in situ is quite simple, but it's unlikely to be the problem.

Have you still got the old sensors? Take one (or all) and about six inches from the plug cut both wires. Throw away the sensor, but join together the wires from the plug. You now have a plug-with-no-sensor that will always read 'good'.

Either connect one at a time or all four and see if the light goes out.

Seems unlikely you have a bad new sensor however.

Remembered I have a UDT999 I used to debug an Alarm issue. Pulled it out -- no errors across the board. Tried the durametric I have as well -- no change. I'm going to have to look at the connectors the sensors plug into -- otherwise -- I'm not sure what the next steps will be.

Mike
Old 01-07-2023, 05:24 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

Isn’t this the light that comes on with the handbrake?
the contact on the end of the hand brake comes off and can cause this. There’s threads on this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake pad sensor light and warning light