993 Forum 1995-1998

Best HID upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 03:23 PM
tuto993
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by tsloeza
The kit come with both lens and hardware brackets for $160. Thats all you really need. The high beam spitter harness is optional, this is used if you are planing on using the orignal high beam along with the high beam in the projector lens. Harness will need some modification on the connectors to make it fit properly. If your buying the Tore kit you will not need any thing else, If your not using Tore's kit then you can by there HID ballast/bulb kit but it looks like it will not all fit with in the headlight assembly
God, thank you so much.

Thats what had me so confused... I did not know the projector had its own high beam setting!! To be fair, I do not think this is disclosed anywhere on the website, and I am a newbie to all this modern tech stuff...

Will order this weekend.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:29 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Using an HID bulb without a projector is a recipe for glare and poor dispersion. If you go with a projector, you can pretty much use any standard HID bulb.

Was there never a factory HID option for the 993?
Old 11-30-2017, 06:39 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Tremelune
Using an HID bulb without a projector is a recipe for glare and poor dispersion. If you go with a projector, you can pretty much use any standard HID bulb.

Was there never a factory HID option for the 993?

Yes, it was called LiTronic, my 993tt has it from factory.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:41 PM
Sandia man
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just to complicate things, I’ll tell of my adventure in lighting. I had the hid kit from Gert in my car and was pleased with the low beam but the original halogen high beam looked pretty anemic in comparison. I then installed the LED high beam kit from Cylops (I think) and high beams are wonderful by comparison with the original. Installation was tight but it all fit. Get a pentalobe driver if attempting this job.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:08 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Well done!
Old 12-01-2017, 09:38 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tsloeza
The kit come with both lens and hardware brackets for $160. Thats all you really need. The high beam spitter harness is optional, this is used if you are planing on using the orignal high beam along with the high beam in the projector lens. Harness will need some modification on the connectors to make it fit properly. If your buying the Tore kit you will not need any thing else, If your not using Tore's kit then you can by there HID ballast/bulb kit but it looks like it will not all fit with in the headlight assembly
Originally Posted by Sandia man
Just to complicate things, I’ll tell of my adventure in lighting. I had the hid kit from Gert in my car and was pleased with the low beam but the original halogen high beam looked pretty anemic in comparison. I then installed the LED high beam kit from Cylops (I think) and high beams are wonderful by comparison with the original. Installation was tight but it all fit. Get a pentalobe driver if attempting this job.
I did this ^^^ and the Morimoto lens upgrade with Tore’s low beam HID bulbs. The Morimoto bi-HID setup has a solenoid splitter that lifts when the high beam is switch is engaged. The Morimoto projector is both high and low now. So essentially I have the Cyclops LED high beam AND the ‘opened’ projection beam all on when the high is engaged. It throws a tremendous amount of light. I did this all in stages, Tore’s HID then Cyclops LED and finally Morimoto projector. The final result is worth it and it’s all reversible for you purists.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:00 AM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
I did this ^^^ and the Morimoto lens upgrade with Tore’s low beam HID bulbs. The Morimoto bi-HID setup has a solenoid splitter that lifts when the high beam is switch is engaged. The Morimoto projector is both high and low now. So essentially I have the Cyclops LED high beam AND the ‘opened’ projection beam all on when the high is engaged. It throws a tremendous amount of light. I did this all in stages, Tore’s HID then Cyclops LED and finally Morimoto projector. The final result is worth it and it’s all reversible for you purists.
Do you feel this is the best sequence for upgrading in stages?

I was thinking that maybe first doing the projector, then Tore's kit, and doing the Cyclops last, but am unsure. Like the OP, I'm on unfamiliar territory when it comes to lighting. Your suggestions/advice appreciated.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:38 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbo3
Do you feel this is the best sequence for upgrading in stages?
I was thinking that maybe first doing the projector, then Tore's kit, and doing the Cyclops last, but am unsure. Like the OP, I'm on unfamiliar territory when it comes to lighting. Your suggestions/advice appreciated.
You are going to want to do Tore’s HID first and then Morimoto. This will render your current halogen high beam bulb useless. You may want to keep it this way and be just as happy with the result. Then later on if you want to add I bit more light on the high beam side install the Cyclops LED to replace the halogen bulb.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:23 PM
tuto993
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

You are going to want to do Tore’s HID first and then Morimoto. This will render your current halogen high beam bulb useless. You may want to keep it this way and be just as happy with the result. Then later on if you want to add I bit more light on the high beam side install the Cyclops LED to replace the halogen bulb.
PERFECT SUMMARY!! This simple sentence was the best explanation.

Thank you everyone who contributed. Thank you all for the pictures. As they say they are worth a thousand words.
I think this is the path I will follow...

Cheers,
Old 12-01-2017, 08:15 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 384 Posts
Thumbs up

Thank you for the advise, flyingchappy, and thank you, tuto for starting this thread!
Old 12-01-2017, 09:57 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

I would appreciate some illumination.
I have factory Litronics and they work well. The front lenses are a little cloudy.
Can I, should I modify with projectors or anything else?
Can I purchase the front glass lens portions?
Old 12-02-2017, 12:23 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

Of course you can just get the glass. I just bought a set and found them cheapest, at $125 each, here: https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/a...omponents-scat

Looks like they are now $135. My mistake, I actually ordered from Suncoast in FL at $125 each. Sunset is closer to you.

Mine had haze on the lens so I simply used a cotton swab and wiped down the outside of the lens. Did not want to disassemble to get to the backside of the glass. You could also upgrade the hi beam bulbs like I did with something like a Phillips Xtreme vision bulb.
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-treme-Vision-Headlight-Bulbs/dp/B00QJWTQOE/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1512231565&sr=1-8&keywords=h1+headlight+bulb https://www.amazon.com/Philips-X-treme-Vision-Headlight-Bulbs/dp/B00QJWTQOE/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1512231565&sr=1-8&keywords=h1+headlight+bulb

Just be aware that these upgraded bulbs only have a 400 hr life vs stock at 800+ hrs, which I was fine with.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:04 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 182 Posts

on the “to-do” list this winter....among other things.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:40 AM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

Insides of lenses covering Litronics were hazy. Removed them and cleaned the insides- noticeable difference in appearance and improvement in light output Replaced high beam bulbs with Philips 130% recommended by an earlier thread.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:24 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Is it legal to do this upgrade in USA? In Europe it's not!

Quick Reply: Best HID upgrade