Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Best HID upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 02:31 AM
911m5
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with all the above. I used Tore's kit for a while but eventually switched to the retroquick kit for 993 (retrofit source). Looking back, if using Tore's kit with a new projector would have been the same result as using the retroquick kit. Light dispersion was not smooth and uneven with the stock projector and Tore's kit. Switching to the Retroquik (after reviewing 6speed online article) , it made a big difference for me. Install for Tore's kit is straightforward but install of the retroquick, for me, took some work/time.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:34 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Thanks for posting. Looks great.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:22 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Does anyone have experience with the flatsixillumination units?

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...grade-kit.html
Old 11-27-2017, 07:04 PM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tsloeza
I agree Tore's HID kit, Plus the Projector lens up grade kit from the https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...rsche-993.html. The difference is night and day when getting rid of the stock projector lenses.

stock halogen bulbs

Tore's HID kit with the retrofit sources 993 projector lenses.
^^^This is the way to go if you really want a substantial improvement. I went with Tore’s bulbs and then the projector lens.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:50 AM
Patrik S
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tsloeza
I agree Tore's HID kit, Plus the Projector lens up grade kit from the https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...rsche-993.html. The difference is night and day when getting rid of the stock projector lenses.
Great posting! This is now on my ToDo list. I have owned my 993 since 2004 .......
Old 11-29-2017, 09:33 AM
E30M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Does anyone have a picture of the Projector Retrofit installed to see how it looks behind the lense?
Old 11-29-2017, 10:50 AM
tuto993
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Will any of you guys that have done the Tore upgrade plus the projector from retrofit installation tell me what exactly do I order from retrofit? is the price of $160 for each L and R? So total is $320? It seems like it.
Do I need any of the other options to buy like the ballasts, etc. I am little confused... wondering if I can figure it out before/instead of getting on the phone with them...

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2017, 01:33 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by tuto993
Will any of you guys that have done the Tore upgrade plus the projector from retrofit installation tell me what exactly do I order from retrofit? is the price of $160 for each L and R? So total is $320? It seems like it.
Do I need any of the other options to buy like the ballasts, etc. I am little confused... wondering if I can figure it out before/instead of getting on the phone with them...

Thanks!
I am a bit perplexed, too.

Tore's kit seems pretty straight-forward: 2 upgraded low beam bulbs and associated headlight electronics plus two upgraded bulbs for the clear position projector lights located just inside of the bumperettes. $130.

The Retroquick $160 kit seems be a pair of projector lenses, as it has "2X" prefix in the part number/description when you order and get to the shopping cart. The choices in the drop-down box indicate "LHD" and "RHD" in the suffix of the part number , which I assume to indicate Left Hand Drive and Right Hand Drive vehicles, Then there are what seems to be a pair of adapters to fit the 993 specifically. So, I assume the kit is for a pair of projectors and a pair of adapters, all for $160. (But, that's a whole lot of assuming on my part, and you know what "assume" means!)

So, basically, you'd be using Retroquick's projectors/adapters only, then using Tore's bulbs/electronics instead of the bulbs/electronics offered by Retroquick, for a total cost of $290. I think this is correct, but not 100%.

My question is: If I only want to do one of the upgrades at this time(either the the Retroquick kit or Tore's kit), which would be more effective as a first step? From some of the posts, I gather that the Retroquick projector will improve both the stock high beams and the stock low beams(?), which Tore's kit won't do as it does not include upgraded high beam bulbs.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:58 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I just wonder what improvements the up-to-date projectors offer in comparison to the original. Clean?
Old 11-29-2017, 04:16 PM
Trevor-uk
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Endoman
I just wonder what improvements the up-to-date projectors offer in comparison to the original. Clean?
I'll let you know in a few weeks - I've just ordered a set of projectors (and the high beam leads). Already got ToreB low beams and some LED mains - bring on the daylight!
Old 11-29-2017, 06:54 PM
sander97C2
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingchappy
^^^This is the way to go if you really want a substantial improvement. I went with Tore’s bulbs and then the projector lens.
I agree 100%. A world of difference with distance and clarity at night. The light cutoff is very sharp and the high beams kickass! For those wondering what the projector looks like, check out this pic. Compared to the original projector it is a much nicer piece and appears more clear where the original one was yellowish.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:26 PM
tuto993
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sander97C2
I agree 100%. A world of difference with distance and clarity at night. The light cutoff is very sharp and the high beams kickass! For those wondering what the projector looks like, check out this pic. Compared to the original projector it is a much nicer piece and appears more clear where the original one was yellowish.

I'm sorry for being so dense with this, but you mention the high beam? I thought the Tore upgrade is for the projector/low beam light...? Where do yo get an HID high beam?
Old 11-30-2017, 01:30 AM
tsloeza
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E30M3
Does anyone have a picture of the Projector Retrofit installed to see how it looks behind the lense?
Look at my post #12
Old 11-30-2017, 01:39 AM
tsloeza
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tuto993

Thanks!
The kit come with both lens and hardware brackets for $160. Thats all you really need. The high beam spitter harness is optional, this is used if you are planing on using the orignal high beam along with the high beam in the projector lens. Harness will need some modification on the connectors to make it fit properly. If your buying the Tore kit you will not need any thing else, If your not using Tore's kit then you can by there HID ballast/bulb kit but it looks like it will not all fit with in the headlight assembly
Old 11-30-2017, 02:15 AM
Wiseguy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very happy with my morimoto bi-xenon kit.
Morimoto bixenon kit.

Quick Reply: Best HID upgrade