Best HID upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 05:26 PM
shiraz
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by AllanH
I used Tore's kit and followed instructions carefully. Everything worked perfectly. Including the smart ballast to bring back cruise control function. With the extra brake lights setup you can now see me stop from low orbit.
How many "stops from low orbit" can you perform before needing new suspension?
Old 03-26-2018, 06:28 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

One thing to note for RoW cars is that the levelling motor interferes with fitment. You need to rotate it a bit (unlock) first to get it out of the way and lock it back afterwards. It really is a great improvement to the std set up. So many good tips on this forum.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:03 PM
DLook
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
Additional detail if ordering the bi-xenon kit from the retrofit source.

The complete kit...Retro-Quik Porsche 993, includes the projectors, the additional hardware kit, and you can also choose the correct high beam splitter(x2).Package price is $165 before the 10% discount.

Ordred separately,...the Morimoto Mini H1 7.0, the RQ Hardware Porsche 993 kit, and the H1M>H1F/9006 splitters(x2). Package price is actually $10 cheaper, at $155.

Falls in a well, eyes go crossed. Gets kicked by a mule eyes go straight...I don’t know.

Probably worth the extra $10 to not suffer thru a difficult website. Apparently I didn’t order the hardware kit, and I ordered the wrong splitters. New bits coming mis week hopefully.
Originally Posted by tuto993
Magdaddy, I agreee with you. Not a very intuitive website. Interesting to me that in this day and age you still have "difficult" websites to deal with. You'd think all the competition would have demanded a certain basic level of user friendliness. The product however is worth the pain IMO.
Yes, I have found the site confusing. Which let me to believe the entire kit cost $165 but should be more like $315. Use TRS10 to get the 10% discount. If you like to order the full kit, here a picture of what you need.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:31 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree the site is difficult to understand what you get. One very strong opinion ... if you are upgrading to HID bulbs and need the bulb and ballast, then you should buy the BergvillF/X kit from Tore. All other ballasts must be mounted outside the light assembly and requires modification to the cover piece. The BergvillF/X kits have a ballast that is designed to simply screw into the inside of the cover, totally out of the way of the bulb and projector.

Doing that, then simply purchase the projectors and installation kit and splitter from RQ. These projectors are significantly better than stock. The BergevillF/X bulbs fit perfectly.

If you wish to upgrade your halogen high beams (they essentially become useless with the bi-xenon high/low RQ projectors), then consider an LED bulb replacement. Keep in mind, LED bulbs operate in the 6000K light range which is a pure white with no yellow tint at all. It is best if you order 6000K HID bulbs from Tore in order to match the color output for both bulbs in the assembly.

Installation of all the above components is very easy and the resulting light output is scary bright on highs!! Keep in mind that you will more than likely have to adjust your headlights as the RQ projectors output patterns are VERY precise and your old adjustments will probably be too low with the new projectors. Easy thing to adjust as long as you have a long handled (at least 6") 5mm allen wrench. Instructions to get the perfect adjustment can be found on this forum.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:45 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jdrake
I agree the site is difficult to understand what you get. One very strong opinion ... if you are upgrading to HID bulbs and need the bulb and ballast, then you should buy the BergvillF/X kit from Tore. All other ballasts must be mounted outside the light assembly and requires modification to the cover piece. The BergvillF/X kits have a ballast that is designed to simply screw into the inside of the cover, totally out of the way of the bulb and projector.

Doing that, then simply purchase the projectors and installation kit and splitter from RQ. These projectors are significantly better than stock. The BergevillF/X bulbs fit perfectly.

If you wish to upgrade your halogen high beams (they essentially become useless with the bi-xenon high/low RQ projectors), then consider an LED bulb replacement. Keep in mind, LED bulbs operate in the 6000K light range which is a pure white with no yellow tint at all. It is best if you order 6000K HID bulbs from Tore in order to match the color output for both bulbs in the assembly.

Installation of all the above components is very easy and the resulting light output is scary bright on highs!! Keep in mind that you will more than likely have to adjust your headlights as the RQ projectors output patterns are VERY precise and your old adjustments will probably be too low with the new projectors. Easy thing to adjust as long as you have a long handled (at least 6") 5mm allen wrench. Instructions to get the perfect adjustment can be found on this forum.
You convinced me! LOL (My posting asking if I should upgrade from a DDM kit to a ToreB kit is currently immediately below this thread...)

Quick question - will both the ballast for a LED Hi beam kit, and the ToreB HID kit ballast fit within the headlight unit?
(If so, now I have to see if I held on to my original headlight back piece - the DDM did come with pre-drilled replacements...)
Old 12-12-2018, 01:53 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

I purchased the Car Light District 8000 Lumen LED bulb, so that is all I can attest to.

There are 2 considerations. First, is the cooling vents on the bulb itself. The CLD one has an adjustable cooling vent that screws up or down to make installation easy. You back off the cooling vanes to attach the bulb in the housing, then screw down the vanes to fit snuggly.

The second consideration is what you asked about - the ballast. On the CLD unit, the ballast is very small and easily fits inside the housing, including the RQ high/low splitter. Just take care to not force it into a tight space so that adjusting the low beams bind up. There is plenty of open space to accommodate the ballast and wiring.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:57 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

I purchased the Car Light District 8000 Lumen LED bulb, so that is all I can attest to.

There are 2 considerations. First, is the cooling vents on the bulb itself. The CLD one has an adjustable cooling vent that screws up or down to make installation easy. You back off the cooling vanes to attach the bulb in the housing, then screw down the vanes to fit snuggly.

The second consideration is what you asked about - the ballast. On the CLD unit, the ballast is very small and easily fits inside the housing, including the RQ high/low splitter. Just take care to not force it into a tight space so that adjusting the low beams bind up. There is plenty of open space to accommodate the ballast and wiring.

I ordered exactly that LED Hi beam - so those suggestions are VERY helpful!
Old 12-12-2018, 11:49 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Can you comment on performance?
Old 12-13-2018, 02:38 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Churchill
Can you comment on performance?
I am very happy with the CLD LED High Beam. It is difficult to compare to the Cyclops because I don't have a side by side 993 to see if there are any differences. On paper, the lumens output is significantly better, but that is on paper. When the brights are on, it is difficult to look directly into the headlight.

Build quality is first rate. It is literally a drop in replacement to the stock halogens. The cooling vanes appear to be well made and are small enough not to cause any fitment or enclosure issues. The Ballasts are compact to where they easily fit inside the housing and do not interfere with headlight adjustment, They plug directly into the RQ High Beam splitter. I have seen no issue with heat at this time. However, I will qualify my statement simply because I have not used my high beams for extended periods yet. They are SO bright that I have to be careful when I turn them on. Flash-to-pass functions work good.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:39 PM
WRXdriver
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 28 Posts

Hypothetically if I were to make something very simple harder than it needed to be, I admit it wouldn’t be the first time.

With that said I already have Tores hid headlights installed and was delighted to discover the Morimotto projectors with highbeam splitter under the tree (full disclosure: I ordered the kit myself). Could someone use very small words to describe *precisely* which led high beams I need? I know some people use Car Lights District, others Cyclops, but I’m uncertain exactly what to order from either source. I don’t care about the brand, just want the correct part(s) so they fit without extensive modification. My car is stored for the winter a fair distance from my house, so small inconveniences quickly snowball into massive time sinks.

Bonus points if you include a link! Happy New Year, Rennlist.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:55 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

This is the post I followed :- https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-beam-mod.html
Old 12-31-2018, 09:43 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by WRXdriver
Hypothetically if I were to make something very simple harder than it needed to be, I admit it wouldn’t be the first time.

With that said I already have Tores hid headlights installed and was delighted to discover the Morimotto projectors with highbeam splitter under the tree (full disclosure: I ordered the kit myself). Could someone use very small words to describe *precisely* which led high beams I need? I know some people use Car Lights District, others Cyclops, but I’m uncertain exactly what to order from either source. I don’t care about the brand, just want the correct part(s) so they fit without extensive modification. My car is stored for the winter a fair distance from my house, so small inconveniences quickly snowball into massive time sinks.

You may want to try the tore + Morimoto install first. You should be pleasantly surprised how effective the Morimoto projectors are when they are activated on high beam with the tore HID...
Old 01-01-2019, 12:45 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

I ordered this LED light replacement for my hi-beam.
LED G7 H1
(Of note: Car Lighting District has been sending me non-stop offers for discounts on their products since my order - today "LED25" = 25% OFF + Free Shipping)

My headlight refresh project starts today (?) so I personally do not know how well they fit, but @jdrake posted (immediately before your posting) on how easily they drop in as replacement for OEM halogen.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:03 PM
WRXdriver
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks, guys! I’m definitely installing the led high beams while I have everything apart, although it’s probably overkill. I mean, I already dropped $5, on the splitter so there’s no going back now.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:42 AM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys! I’m definitely installing the led high beams while I have everything apart, although it’s probably overkill. I mean, I already dropped $5, on the splitter so there’s no going back now.
The main question regarding your headlights is what color temperature your Tore HIDs operate at? The 4300 Kelvin color temp has a yellowish hue to them. The 6000 Kelvin HIDs are pure white with very little to no blue. LED's operate at the 6000 to 6500 Kelvin color temp. Others have posted that the white high/low beams over power and wash out the stock yellowish highs with the Morimoto setup. My personal preference is to make sure my high/low HIDs match the LED high beam in color temp. So I made sure my Tore HIDs were 6000 Kelvin. Then, you have to make sure that your fog light bulbs get replaced with a 6000 Kelvin color temp one.

I think you are making the right decision and going with the LED highs while you are inside the headlight housings. The effect of the Morimotos on high and the additional High LED is simply amazing.

Quick Reply: Best HID upgrade