Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

5 Things I Hate About the 993...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 10:08 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

He seems like a good kid despite his taste in music.

Last edited by Paolo1; 11-24-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:54 PM
993_540
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
Unfortunately lots Since you are Canadian you know the type

eh?

Dave
95 911
03 540i6
Old 11-21-2017, 02:48 AM
YellowDieselGolf
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Here's a list of the 5 things I hate about rennlist
Old 11-21-2017, 08:29 AM
Cheekybird
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Peace Porsche Peeps.

Last edited by Cheekybird; 11-21-2017 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Porsche
Old 11-21-2017, 09:05 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

Damn this thread went off the rails............................ Discrimination is where I draw the line. Mark you may want to step in here.....................

Last edited by Gbos1; 11-21-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:41 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is like looking at Marilyn Monroe and saying "I don't like the little mole on her cheek".... (Don't know if she actually had one... )
Old 11-21-2017, 11:48 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

1. AC prices? sure... whatever. It's all supply and demand. No real surprise here. There's more people with money connected via the WWW. that want these cars. Who ever thought we'd be shipping cars back to Germany?

2. Vintage Performance? I dig this. Sure I've driving faster cars, and in fact have one with the Spyder, but there is something that is so fun and so REAL about driving my 993. Love it, wouldn't change it.

3. Patina? I have rock chips but no patina (oxidation). What ever right? Anyone tried those paint pens? I hate door edge chips the most. Any solution?

4. Something going on mechanically? Sure. It's a 20 year old car with 40 year old technology in it. What was I thinking? Good thing is that is unlikely that the plywood (Canadian?) on the floor is unlikely to wear out.

5. Crappy valve guide design. Sure some have had this problem but don't keep the oil top up to the top of the marker. So far mine is fine (fingers crossed). And don't think new cars have this totally handled. I just checked out a 2011 BMW 750i with the N63 engine and it's valve stem guide issue. 1 quart of oil every 2nd gas fill up? Cheap car but holy crap!

Now let's talk about the goofy slightly irritating immobilizer. Argh... Or the small frunk size. Where do you put a suitcase? Or whatever...

Jacob needs to throw a set of P-Zero's on that C4S and a front bra / Xpel and drive it through the winter. This video is probably just his justification for being a whimp and storing it!

Let's give him a break - he's feeling un-Canadian!
Old 11-21-2017, 12:41 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

The Canadian "digs", and some other parts of this thread, I conclude, are tongue-in-cheek lighteners, meant to offset some of the heavier responses in this now wearisome thread.
There's no hate here, legitimate points and disagreements sure, but another example of what I tell my older grown sons- texting versus talking face to face, or on a phone, human voice to another live voice, often changes interpretations and actual intent. And, people get confused and hurt.
This thread should end.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:48 PM
nr1416
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact this thread has continued, is why I stopped renewing my membership here. Rather buy Jakob a coffee with that money for the many events he puts together every year.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:56 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL..I'm famous it seems over here. This thread is proof of exactly why it's widely known amongst many Porsche communities that the true spirit and enthusiasm on this board is long gone. Sad. I appreciate all commentary and criticism. It really comes with the territory of sharing things on the internet. I created my Youtube channel for myself because I like to share, with my audience, MY adventures with this 993 that I've had for the last 6-7 years. I do not proclaim to be a journalist/reviewer, or an epic Petrolicious style film maker or a music aficionado. I'm always striving to become a better story teller. We all like and dislike different things, c'est la vie. My intent with my channel is to share my enthusiasm for the marque and my car with those who are interested. Those of you who say I'm an "*** clown" or "whinny", change the channel..nobody is forcing you to consume my content. And if you do watch it, that's great too.

Either way, thanks for watching and the engagement on Youtube. Take care of yourselves and your cars!
Old 11-21-2017, 12:59 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh by the way, I posted this video first...The 5 things I LOVE...

Old 11-21-2017, 01:53 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by boman993
LOL..I'm famous it seems over here. This thread is proof of exactly why it's widely known amongst many Porsche communities that the true spirit and enthusiasm on this board is long gone. Sad. I appreciate all commentary and criticism. It really comes with the territory of sharing things on the internet. I created my Youtube channel for myself because I like to share, with my audience, MY adventures with this 993 that I've had for the last 6-7 years. I do not proclaim to be a journalist/reviewer, or an epic Petrolicious style film maker or a music aficionado. I'm always striving to become a better story teller. We all like and dislike different things, c'est la vie. My intent with my channel is to share my enthusiasm for the marque and my car with those who are interested. Those of you who say I'm an "*** clown" or "whinny", change the channel..nobody is forcing you to consume my content. And if you do watch it, that's great too.

Either way, thanks for watching and the engagement on Youtube. Take care of yourselves and your cars!
Name:  dhMeAzK.gif
Views: 8
Size:  1.82 MB

The butt hurt is real and I agree with your #1. Some of those asking prices even for high mileage 993's are ridiculous.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:37 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Perhaps "Hate" is too strong a word-although I do understand that with the previous work you needed the antonym. Dislike would have treated the issue nicely. And since you already have the roll bar try a DE next season after you wake her from the long winter's nap.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:05 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Sorry, guys, had not been following this thread too much. Although I don't agree with every point that Jakob makes (I hate stone chips, scratches, etc.), I think it's great that someone took the time to make a neat video on our old jalopies. He's not some annoying troll who always tries to stir the pot; he's an enthusiast who shares the same passion as most of us and has tried to bring 993 enthusiasts together (eg. his meet and drives), so let's keep that in mind as we feel compelled to belch out our responses.

As far as the supposed slight at Canadians, I took that to be a comment made in jest/tongue-in-cheek. It would be like someone saying that about Marylanders. I wouldn't GAF if someone threw that at me; so many other things to worry about than a quip like that.

However, no matter how you feel about the video, there is no reason to insult Jakob. Really.

Closing this thread for a bit (no, Jakob did not ask for it to be shut down) and may re-open it later if people can be civil and, oh, dare I say it, nice.

Lastly, il pirata, the other mods and I don't read every thread here, so if you see an issue brewing, please hit the "Report Post" button. We try to not micromanage discussions, meaning not everything will be seen as egregious, but we won't always know about it if you don't report it. Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by FGL28
Unfortunately lots Since you are Canadian you know the type

He is acting like an *** clown.

I. It is a 20 year old car. It is going to have 20 year old performance
II. It’s air cooled. ALL air-cooled Porsches use lots of oil. It is a trait.
III. Bad design of the OBD II and the valuve guides along with draconian emission rules.
Patina this guy is an assclown of the highest order. In the car world having patina usually gets a premium

Sell the car and quit whining. I do not follow assclowns like this on Social Media.
Please see my PM.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:22 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Opening up this thread on Thanksgiving in the hope that everyone can take a moment to put everything in perspective. There are many things for most of us to be thankful for, but, however low on the relative appreciation scale this effort might be, perhaps we can be thankful that a Rennlister has taken the time to create a video on our fun cars.

Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving, all.

Quick Reply: 5 Things I Hate About the 993...