993 Forum 1995-1998

Guard Transmission 2-piece main and slide on 2nd gear set

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 05:15 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
I do consider the 2.00 a better choice. We don't use the same toothcounts that they do, which is why I almost always talk in decimal ratios for clarity. In general, we reduce the toothcount for added strength and durability. The trade off is that's part of where the added noise comes from. For example, on the 2.00 ratio we do it as 16:32 versus 20:40. They do 1.521 35:23 whereas we do 1.526 19:29, etc.
Thanks so much for your help! This problem has so many moving parts that it is hard to figure out.
Old 11-20-2017, 05:51 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I do consider the 2.00 a better choice. We don't use the same toothcounts that they do, which is why I almost always talk in decimal ratios for clarity. In general, we reduce the toothcount for added strength and durability. The trade off is that's part of where the added noise comes from. For example, on the 2.00 ratio we do it as 16:32 versus 20:40. They do 1.521 35:23 whereas we do 1.526 19:29, etc.
Now that is super cool information, So the extra size of each tooth is where the durability comes from?

Interesting note on the 2.00, i am assuming that this would be popular with the track guys, what about the Ax crowd?
Old 11-21-2017, 10:52 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

The wider tooth root is only part of it. You also have to assess the shared load across the teeth. If we were to do a 4:8 2.00 it would have bigger teeth but loading a single tooth at a time would lead to quick failure. We have an engineering program that calculates the forces and helps us pick which combination is strongest.

Not much call for regearing auto-x cars. The reason is class rules. The stock 2nd is probably pretty good though some faster courses might bump the rev limiter versus upshifting. 2.00 would be better if rules allowed it.
Old 11-21-2017, 04:38 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The wider tooth root is only part of it. You also have to assess the shared load across the teeth. If we were to do a 4:8 2.00 it would have bigger teeth but loading a single tooth at a time would lead to quick failure. We have an engineering program that calculates the forces and helps us pick which combination is strongest.

Not much call for regearing auto-x cars. The reason is class rules. The stock 2nd is probably pretty good though some faster courses might bump the rev limiter versus upshifting. 2.00 would be better if rules allowed it.
Thanks Matt, this is really interesting stuff.

My car is pooched for any class rules for Ax, I run XP here because of everything that has been done to the car (easier to say what hasnt been done ). For most of the courses they design here 2nd is actually just tad tall so it's not pulling out of the hole as I would like it. The main purpose for the car is a track rat, so some compromises are needed.

Thanks for all you contribute!

Quick Reply: Guard Transmission 2-piece main and slide on 2nd gear set