993 Forum 1995-1998

Tie rod end bearing boot replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 01:10 AM
95993Cabrio
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tie rod end bearing boot replacement

My tie rod end boot was broken but my tie rod is still good with no play. I didn't want to change the whole tie rod just because of the boot so I searched the web and found a company in UK sells boot for 993.

I took the old boot out, cleaned the joint and greased it, the boot fits prefectly but i have difficulty to find out the torque value of the tie rod end nut at the wheel.
Hope this is useful to someone. Cheers.

Old 11-12-2017, 10:20 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Better quality silicone boots that do not deteriorate, require no clamping seal and just slip over the tie rod end can be had in the USA, Cleveland, Ohio actually.
See: "Energy Suspension Tie Rod End Dust Boots " on summitracing.com. Simple tool to replace them in your driveway at home; See “Tie Rod and Pitman Arm Puller” on Harborfreight.com
Old 11-12-2017, 06:40 PM
95993Cabrio
Intermediate

Great info. May I ask what is the torque value for the tie rod end nut at the wheel?
Thanks
Old 11-13-2017, 12:13 AM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to the 993 WSM it is 48 ft-lb

Johnny
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2017, 09:14 AM
95993Cabrio
Intermediate

Thanks Johnny.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:34 PM
Scrumpy
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to wake this year-old post back up, but I've seen references in various postings to the tie rod end boots from Energy Suspension as well as some boots that could work on Ebay from a seller by the name of polyboots out of Bulgaria. Both sources may work, but I've been unable to confirm the actual dimensions that are needed for the tie rod ends or the part numbers for any of the sources.

Understood that the image 95993Cabrio posted above indicates hole sizes of 25mm and 11mm with a height of 22.5mm. Are these approximate (closest standard size the www.balljoints.co.uk supplier had in stock), or actual dimensions I should be looking for?
Old 11-17-2018, 09:39 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrumpy
Sorry to wake this year-old post back up, but I've seen references in various postings to the tie rod end boots from Energy Suspension as well as some boots that could work on Ebay from a seller by the name of polyboots out of Bulgaria. Both sources may work, but I've been unable to confirm the actual dimensions that are needed for the tie rod ends or the part numbers for any of the sources.

Understood that the image 95993Cabrio posted above indicates hole sizes of 25mm and 11mm with a height of 22.5mm. Are these approximate (closest standard size the www.balljoints.co.uk supplier had in stock), or actual dimensions I should be looking for?
That was probably my post referencing Polyboots as found on eBay, and shipped from Bulgaria... Everyone needs a set of, digital vernier calipers, that can switch back and forth from US to metric, at the Press of a button.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:22 PM
Scrumpy
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep nine9six, the reference to the polyboots seller on Ebay was in fact one of your many helpful posts (not being facetious). Calipers are a regularly used tool in my house (and are usually accompanied by my wife's rolling eyes), but was hoping to order the boots before I took it apart so I don't have to either do it twice, or leave it apart and wait for things to arrive. Though if any of that white stuff falls from the sky, it may not get driven anyhow. I'm pretty confident I could get the larger OD measurement and perhaps the spacing without taking things apart, but I'm thinking it needs to be dismantled to measure the shaft diameter.

Of course, the alternative would be to just replace the whole tie rod end, but they feel solid so I'm inclined to just lube and replace the boot.

Quick Reply: Tie rod end bearing boot replacement