Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

SUMMER PERFORMANCE TIRES - TEMPS AND WHEN TO PARK YOUR CAR

Old 11-10-2017, 09:35 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 731 Likes on 520 Posts
Default SUMMER PERFORMANCE TIRES - TEMPS AND WHEN TO PARK YOUR CAR

So I must have read a million discussions around when you should park your car when temps drop below 38 degrees riding on Summer Performance tires. As we know, in freezing temps these tires basically turn into hockey pucks. At what point or gauge in temps is COLD too COLD to drive your car? At what temps do you guys use to gauge to not drive. I am not talking snow on the roads because you should never drive on these tires in the snow ever! Let the discussion begin.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:41 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,181 Posts

It depends on the tire (and tire age), the car, and how aggressively you have to drive. I do not park my cars until the salt trucks roll out for the first time, regardless of temperature.

I was out a few days ago, 30 degrees with BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2's. Spun a bit more easily when taking off but otherwise had good traction. Last year, same tires on a few days in the low 20's.

P-Zero's? From personal experience I'd park the car once it reaches the low 40's.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:55 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Yes,
Summer tires loose a lot of grip when it is cool. Only an issue in traffic during an emergency stop. Summer tires are completely worthless in slush and snow. I had 4 M+S tires for my 86' Carrera for winter driving. Now that I have moved out of the snow belt my All Season Sport tires seem to work well for every day driving around town. I would mention the brand but when I do some Rennlister's seem to flail at the thought.

Andy
Old 11-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 731 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
It depends on the tire (and tire age), the car, and how aggressively you have to drive. I do not park my cars until the salt trucks roll out for the first time, regardless of temperature.

I was out a few days ago, 30 degrees with BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2's. Spun a bit more easily when taking off but otherwise had good traction. Last year, same tires on a few days in the low 20's.

P-Zero's? From personal experience I'd park the car once it reaches the low 40's.
Great! I am running P-Zeros

They are really lumpy before they warm up even in warm temps. I am going Michelin next go around. I don't love them.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:13 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

With the winter setting in, I’m glad this topic is being discussed.

For those of you with re71r tires, do you take any special precautions to keep them warm in the winter, even when they are off the car? I believe the tread compound can get damaged if you let them get cold, even if you aren’t driving on them, correct?

I’ve set up a heater in my garage to keep the temp over 40 degrees to try and preserve the rubber. Is that overkill?
Old 11-10-2017, 12:52 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

40 degrees is really the threshold.
Remember also to check the tire pressure if you are using the summer tires at 40-45 degrees temps.
Old 11-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadrega
40 degrees is really the threshold.
Remember also to check the tire pressure if you are using the summer tires at 40-45 degrees temps.
I think in principle this is true, but if you are coming from a warm garage your tires will have some heat in them to begin with and driving will warm them further, especially the rear. In my experience you can get away with slightly colder ambient if you are starting and ending in a heated garage. If there is any chance of wet, or icy, roads forget about it. Only works if its a clear, sunny day with clean roads and cold temps.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:00 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Bridgestone S04's and i have driven when it was 0 degrees with no issues. I am not going fast but it is fine.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:06 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Yesterday... I drove the 964 into Boston again this AM, but the temperature is plummeting down to 28 degrees this evening. I will check the pressure on the RE 71R's before a careful ride home this evening.

I've got winter wheels/tires that I'm planning on throwing on my 964, but I'm still waiting on the new sway-away racing studs to go with the 10mm spacers I picked up from Rennline. I'm hoping to stretch the season out for at least a few more weeks...
Old 11-10-2017, 01:13 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Cactus
Bridgestone S04's and i have driven when it was 0 degrees with no issues. I am not going fast but it is fine.
Yup. A lot of pearl-clutching about this, but the fact is it's perfectly fine to drive in cold temps on summer tires. Just dial it back a bit.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:26 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on the 993 so I am good to go until some real snow flies.
I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport 3 on the Audi TTS. Snow tires mounted on 17" wheels will be
going on the day after Thanksgiving.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:14 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did some reading on TireRack earlier this summer, and some R-comp tires say the tire should stored above freezing temps.

I'm pretty sure the warning on RE-71's say not to DRIVE on them at freezing temps because the compound could get damaged, but I don't think it said that they need to be stored above freezing - like the R-compound tires.

Will see if I can find that info again...
Old 11-10-2017, 02:23 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

As you can see below, from Pirelli, the stopping distance is longer than the usual.

No doubt your car will MOVE FINE with cold temps, the risk is a kid crossing the street all of a sudden and you slamming on the brakes: those fancy PZERO won’t be of much help.

just play it safe guys and if you still drive on summer tyres just be aware of it and take it easy.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:41 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

I've been driving on summer-rated tires in the winter for almost fifteen years. Sure, grip is slightly reduced, especially when the tires are cold, but the rubber performs fine if you use common sense.

I normally drive the 993 until the roads have been salted. I'll wait for either a good rain or the spring rains before it hits the road, trailering to the shop notwithstanding.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:00 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

GT-4 with R-compounds: driving style changes to more moderate below 45F and car stays in the garage below freezing.

993 with summer performance tires: driving style changes to more moderate below 45F and car stays in the garage below 25F (and only comes out on clear, dry sunny days in the winter).

I learned the hard way how slippery summer performance tires can be when the temps are below freezing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SUMMER PERFORMANCE TIRES - TEMPS AND WHEN TO PARK YOUR CAR