993 Forum 1995-1998

Oil level Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 12:38 AM
ftlaud911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil level Question

Can the oil level be right below the top of the spiral indicator on the dipstick? Everyone says to have it in the middle (3 o'clock). I get the low/middle/high margin of 1.5 litres(1.6 quarts). Did my first oil change and used 10.5 quarts on a cold engine. Oil level gauge shows almost full which matches the dipstick. Wondering if I should take some out? If so easiest way? Thanks!!

**Used Brad Penn oil (never seen green oil before - very cool). Read threads about the high zinc count that is needed for an air cooled so I ordered a case.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:02 AM
95993Cabrio
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also prefer at the middle of the spiral. The car should be hot and level when checking the oil level.
You can carefully drain some out from the drain plug. Cheers
Old 11-08-2017, 07:18 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

If it's too full, you run the risk of having oil sucked into the intake manifold and smoking out the right side exhaust. If it's all the way at the very top, I might drain one quart out.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:51 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

You are likely somewhere between 1/2 and 1-1/2 quarts overfilled. I would buy a siphon pump kit from Harbor Freight as is is likley the least expensive and will avoid a lot of mess removing a little oil through the oil filler neck.

https://www.harborfreight.com/fluid-...ump-62613.html

or

https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-...ump-63144.html

I would consider pulling out a quart, warm the engine up and take a new reading with the engine running. Below is the method I use that was developed from feedback from other owners here on Rennlist and my experience over many years. Overfilling not only is a problem with the intake, there is some anecdotal information that it also may contribute to clogged emission system air injectors potentially an expensive thing to rectify.

Here is my procedure:

On level ground I drain the oil tank and the engine case, and through the right rear wheel well, I replace both filters. I do not disconnect any tubes to attempt to drain the oil in the oil lines as my belief is that breaking the seals presents unnecessary leak failure modes. I do keep a can of electric motor cleaner on hand to clean off oil spilled on the engine and suspension when removing the smaller filter.

I refill the oil tank with 8 quarts +/- of oil and run the engine to a fully warmed state looking to the temperature and oil pressure gauges to see if they have settled into their normal operating range. I then, with the engine running, add additional oil, ¼ quart at a time until the
oil level dash gauge settles at about midway with a fully warmed engine.

I feel this method gives some additional margin of safety in avoiding inadvertently overfilling the system as well as additional status feedback as the needle is not pinned during operation but moves in relationship to how hot the oil is. The primary measurement of an oil fill is done with the dip-stick so I also look at it a well and note the position of the oil.

If you decide to follow my measurement procedure and determining the fill with the dash gauge and you pull the dip stick and it is dry, it suggests your gauge is a bit out of adjustment. In such cases, with a hot engine while running, I would fill the oil to the 1/4 to 1/2 fill point on the dip stick range but not above.

Adjusting the gauge so it approximately matches the dip stick involves draining the oil accessing the oil tank float and bending its arm a little. I have done this on my 86’ Carrera and have been told it is not too difficult on the 993.

If you find yourself putting more than ten quarts of oil in, you are most likely overfilling the engine. On a 993 this can have operating consequences and so an overfill should be addressed as soon as possible.

Last edited by pp000830; 11-08-2017 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:13 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by 95993Cabrio
I also prefer at the middle of the spiral. The car should be hot and level when checking the oil level.
And idling.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:21 AM
ftlaud911
Instructor

Thank you!!! I will drain some out of the oil filler neck. I didn't want to undo the crush washer at the bottom. It's definitely below the top - checked multiple times. Even used sandpaper on the twist part to read it better as suggested in a thread. Will take out a quart and see where it sits. If I get it close to middle I will stop. Appreciate it - would rather be safe than sorry. It was my first oil change and was nervous about not having enough oil since it has to be read with engine warmed up (takes awhile) and running. Most people stated it takes 10-11 quarts to fill.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:37 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830

On level ground I drain the oil tank and the engine case, and through the right rear wheel well, I replace both filters. I do not disconnect any tubes to attempt to drain the oil in the oil lines as my belief is that breaking the seals presents unnecessary leak failure modes. I do keep a can of electric motor cleaner on hand to clean off oil spilled on the engine and suspension when removing the smaller filter.

Both filters can be accessed through the right rear wheel well?
Old 11-08-2017, 11:54 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just in case you aren't aware, the gauge for oil level, is useless unless you calibrate your float, within tank. As long as you have pressure, trust your dipstick, until you do calibrate the gauge.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:12 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander
No, only the one. The second one from under the car.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:44 PM
ftlaud911
Instructor

ok - for lunch I just siphoned out a quart of oil. Ran up to temp and dipstick read low. Kept adding until it was pretty much dead in the middle/maybe slightly higher. Tough to see. Did it a bunch of times to check. My Oil level sensor now is at 2 o'clock and dipstick pretty much reads middle on spiral. When I give it gas oil level goes down to red which is normal then rises backup to 3 then 2 o'clock. Pressure idles around 2 and rises to 5 when you gas it. Ended result was taking out about 1/2 quart. PITA but better safe than sorry. Thank you everyone!!!!
Old 11-08-2017, 01:53 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Leander
Yes the large one is behind the front edge of the well liner. The little one is above and further back directly attached to the engine. I remove the rubber heater duct to provide better access when removing the smaller filter.

I reach in from the side on the ground as I do not have a lift. You need to take the tire off so the car is on a jack stand during the process. I work the small filter out directly below it through suspension components. tends to be a little messy so i keep CRC Electric Motor cleaner on hand to hose any oil mess off the suspension arms.

Last edited by pp000830; 11-08-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:58 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ftlaud911
ok - for lunch I just siphoned out a quart of oil. Ran up to temp and dipstick read low. Kept adding until it was pretty much dead in the middle/maybe slightly higher. Tough to see. Did it a bunch of times to check. My Oil level sensor now is at 2 o'clock and dipstick pretty much reads middle on spiral. When I give it gas oil level goes down to red which is normal then rises backup to 3 then 2 o'clock. Pressure idles around 2 and rises to 5 when you gas it. Ended result was taking out about 1/2 quart. PITA but better safe than sorry. Thank you everyone!!!!
All is good!
Old 11-08-2017, 01:59 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

My Oil level sensor now is at 2 o'clock and dipstick pretty much reads middle on spiral.
They will read the same level when the oil temperature is at 90C/194F. At any other temperature they will be off.

When I give it gas oil level goes down to red which is normal then rises backup to 3 then 2 o'clock.
Just something to keep in mind, if you find yourself sitting around in traffic a lot or if you drive aggressively, your intake manifold will be happiest/cleaniest with the oil level just barely registering on the dipstick/gauge.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:25 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 133 Posts

You said you had trouble reading the dipstick with clean oil.

Here is a little tip I learned. Take a shop towel (like the blue paper kind) lay the dipstick on it, the oil will wet the paper making it easier to read the dipstick. Even found a youtube vid about it:

Old 11-08-2017, 02:25 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 733 Likes on 522 Posts

Exactly where I like to keep mine also. Oil Level Gauge 2-3 O' Clock and middle of dipstick. I find ...at least my oil level gauge pretty accurate once the car is up to temp.

Quick Reply: Oil level Question