Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

I have acquired the 993

Old 10-31-2017, 01:20 AM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking I have acquired the 993

Once upon a time during the turn of the 20th century, my father abandoned a rich history of piece-of-crap old cars to acquire his dream machine in an unheard of frivolous purchase: a 930 in Guards Red on black, seen here between my mother's VW and my '84 944:

It was promptly stolen three months later, never to be seen again. He regressed to his old ways for a couple of years until one day a '95 993 in Polar Silver with blue interior showed up at a local dealership that he could not pass on. He bought it CPO with 20k miles, drove it for another 100k miles, and then sold it to me today.

It joins my '84 M491 with the same motor and mirrors, and my garage is at an all-time high. I wish the '95 looked like the '84, but I wish the '84 behaved like the '95. It will be difficult to decide which one to ultimately keep, but I have months to decide, and I will enjoy the comparison.

I plan to drive it from New York to California, where it will spend much time between Los Angeles and Big Bear, serving as my only car for a while. No major changes planned; maybe a different front bumper and wheels after I have a better idea of my living situation.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:21 AM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

In the interest of making this thread useful, I might as well see if I can get some shotgun solutions to the little things that need attention...Please feel free to add your thoughts and opinions.

1) It won't stay up to temp on the highway (it stays just above the pair of ticks at the bottom on this brisk day). I'm assuming the external thermostat is stuck open. Presumably this is a messy job that tends to involve stripped threads.

2) A few years ago, a cat jumped on a woodpile the car was parked next to, and now there are a dozen or so prominent dents in the hood and fender. My father refused to have it repaired at the time because he believes anything but original paint "ruins the car." It seems to be difficult to get dentless repairs to "stick" now, but I'm gonna have someone give it another try. If I paint it, it won't be until I'm across the country.

3) There is slight side-to-side play in the left front wheel, which I suspect is the tie-rod. You can feel a very slight shudder on the brakes, and a slight tendency to follow grooves in the road. Is it wise to do both sides at the same time, or worth waiting to see if an issue shows up on the other side?

4) There is a metal rattle that I hear whenever I go over a bump with the left front wheel. It sounds like it's coming from inside the dash...Maybe door. Some bracket? Shock mount hardware? There is also a similar but less prominent rattle that comes from the rear that I haven't been able to isolate yet.

5) The glovebox catch becomes dislodged unless you carefully close it with the **** turned. Onerous fix? There is a 100% chance that someone who isn't me will mess with it before I have a chance to worn them, and then I have to bust out pliers to get it back open...

6) The sunroof opens an inch and then freezes. It's annoying and I'm scared to open the zipper, but this isn't a big deal to me, as I rarely use it anyway.

7) The hood and decklid do not stay aloft, though my father was kind enough to provide me with two custom-sized pieces of wood to accommodate. He claims to have replaced the struts, but it seems they would fail "every winter." Is there a reasonably permanent solution to this?

8) After the "low" AC button fell off one day, it was brilliantly glued on by the aforementioned father, and now doesn't so much work...

9) I could sure use a way to get an iPod through the original stereo. Perhaps via the CD changer?

10) I will likely take this opportunity to stop arguing politics with my father and start arguing about 0w40 vs 15w50. While no more practical or free of zealotry, it does seem less personal, and I'll call that progress.

...Apart from that, it drives like a champ!
Old 10-31-2017, 02:10 AM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Fantastic story. I have never seen stripes like those and they are kind of cool.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:27 AM
bcameron59
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Tremelune
It joins my '84 M491 with the same motor and mirrors, and my garage is at an all-time high. I wish the '95 looked like the '84, but I wish the '84 behaved like the '95. It will be difficult to decide which one to ultimately keep, but I have months to decide, and I will enjoy the comparison.

“Decide”?

There is only one right answer here. Keep them both.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:32 AM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

This is one of the most entertainingly written threads I've seen on RennList.

>> My father refused to have it repaired at the time because he believes anything but original paint "ruins the car."

Makes me nostalgic for my dad.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:48 AM
waizone
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Great story and very nice Car. Even better that is was your dads. Try to keep them both and enjoy.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:26 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Great story.

What's the meaning of the stripes?

Andreas
Old 10-31-2017, 07:47 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
What's the meaning of the stripes?
Cuz race car.
Old 10-31-2017, 08:17 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 731 Likes on 520 Posts

Awesome story! Love it! They never recovered your Dad's 930? Wow! Three months he had it! Damn!!!

Welcome and don't sell either of them! Better than $ in the bank! Search function is your friend. All the issues you listed are easily addressed here in multiple threads. Enjoy!
Old 10-31-2017, 08:19 AM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great story, especially since the '96 was your dad's. My suggestion, buy a 4 post lift and keep them both.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:23 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

1) Thermostat repair - https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...at-insert.html

3) Check inner and outer - both sides. Should be able to see movement with a pry bar.

5) Found a thread with pics. Maybe this will help? https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...le-repair.html

7) The engine compartment / frunk shocks should last quite a while. Perhaps try a different brand?

9) Lots of ways to do this, but the easiest (if you have an existing factory CD changer) is this: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/3.5-BKRCD.html

10) I use only Mobil 1 0w40, N spec tires, and anything labeled Porsche Classic.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:28 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

A great story, and well told. Thanks for sharing!

I'm going to chime in with some others and recommend you keep both if there is any way you can. It doesn't seem like you could possibly regret it in the long run...
Old 10-31-2017, 09:50 AM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by bcameron59
“Decide”?

There is only one right answer here. Keep them both.
It's the only logical thing to do here...
Old 10-31-2017, 10:41 AM
sacman
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 85 Posts

great story and I'm looking forward to the pictures of your roadtrip from NY to California.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:45 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

The stripes. My sis just sent me some old photos, so here goes...

Before my father hit 35 he wound up with five surprise(ing?) kids which pretty much killed the career in racing that he never really had a chance at anyway, but, you know...You do what you must to spin a few wheels, so he picked up a non-running Aston Martin DB 2/4 and joined the VSCCA some time in the 80s. A shot of "Dad's new car" (parked next to the Land Rover my older sisters took to high school):

Me and sis, circa 1985:

Here's the man himself, in what can only be described as racing loafers:

He enjoyed driving, but he didn't particularly enjoy losing to the million-dollar Ferraris, Loti, DB5s, and one wicked Mini Cooper he was racing against...So, to differentiate his lowly Aston from the pack, he threw on a pair of stripes above the driver's side wheel well (it's a British car and they drive on the idiot side of the road):

I believe this was a shot from when he was leading a race at Lime Rock, shortly before the front wheel came off.

He thought the stripes looked cool (and they cost nothing), so he started putting them on his other cars. Fast forward to the 90s when Chevy start putting similar stripes on the C4 Corvette Grand Sport...Very irritating, but it's hard to trademark a pair of stripes! I thought the stripes looked cool (and they cost nothing), so I started putting them on my dirt bikes and then on my cars once I had them, and eventually just got a set tattooed on my arm. It's weird the stuff that sticks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I have acquired the 993