Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Dead battery and winter storage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 09:22 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Dead battery and winter storage?

So I was going to put the 993 away for the winter today. I washed it 2 days ago but was going to finish everything up today. I went to fire it up this morning however the car was completely dead. Looks like I left my trunk open a bit and the light caused the battery to drain. I had an oil change done 2 weeks ago and as part of their inspection they did mention the battery would probably need replacement soon (its 7 years old).

So my question is this. Are there any ill effects to leaving the car in the garage with a dead battery for the next 5 months? If not thats what I will do and replace the battery in the spring with a new one.

Thanks in advance!

Derek
Old 10-29-2017, 09:58 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 521 Posts

How old is the battery? If not old jump it and drive it around or let idle a bit then stick it on a C-Tek Charger till Spring.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:06 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Geez, just buy a new battery. A lead acid one is around $120.

Additionally, there is something I just don't like about the idea of not being able to fire up a car whenever I want to (emergencies, etc.), the supposed issues of not firing up a motor for almost half a year notwithstanding.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:10 PM
rwthorpe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ginch
So I was going to put the 993 away for the winter today. I washed it 2 days ago but was going to finish everything up today. I went to fire it up this morning however the car was completely dead. Looks like I left my trunk open a bit and the light caused the battery to drain. I had an oil change done 2 weeks ago and as part of their inspection they did mention the battery would probably need replacement soon (its 7 years old).

So my question is this. Are there any ill effects to leaving the car in the garage with a dead battery for the next 5 months? If not thats what I will do and replace the battery in the spring with a new one.

Thanks in advance!

Derek
I personally don't think there's any harm that can be done. However, I take my battery out every fall when I put the car into hybernation. Two reasons: 1.) It gives me a chance to ensure the battery hasn't leaked and clean up the area where the spare and tools sit if necessary. 2.) I'd prefer to have the battery on a tender outside the car so the bonnet (or windows) can remain closed with the cover over the entire car. The only minor downside is resetting the clock and re-coding the radio.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:18 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Geez, just buy a new battery. A lead acid one is around $120.

Additionally, there is something I just don't like about the idea of not being able to fire up a car whenever I want to (emergencies, etc.), the supposed issues of not firing up a motor for almost half a year notwithstanding.
Its not the cost of the battery. Its the fact the car will be parked (without being started) for the next 5 months. Is there any reason to go out and buy a new battery now given the fact it will immediately put on a battery maintainer for 5 months, or just keep the dead battery in the car till spring and replace then? I guess I could just remove the battery all together.
Old 10-29-2017, 10:25 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rwthorpe
I personally don't think there's any harm that can be done. However, I take my battery out every fall when I put the car into hybernation. Two reasons: 1.) It gives me a chance to ensure the battery hasn't leaked and clean up the area where the spare and tools sit if necessary. 2.) I'd prefer to have the battery on a tender outside the car so the bonnet (or windows) can remain closed with the cover over the entire car. The only minor downside is resetting the clock and re-coding the radio.
FYI, almost all of my cars have Odyssey 925 AGM batteries, so leaking is a non-issue (or minimal issue). The Macan is too new for a battery, but, assuming Porsche is okay with an Odyssey and it will fit with a kit, that's what will go in it when the current one dies.

Its not the cost of the battery. Its the fact the car will be parked (without being started) for the next 5 months. Is there any reason to go out and buy a new battery now given the fact it will immediately put on a battery maintainer for 5 months, or just keep the dead battery in the car till spring and replace then? I guess I could just remove the battery all together.
Gotcha. Still don't like the idea of not being able to move it. I guess I'm lazy and time-crunched.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:28 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

It’ll be fine. Leave the battery disconnected or remove it.
Old 10-30-2017, 08:34 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Get a 1.5 amp float charger, put it on your battery for 4 hours and your car will start right up. Then leave it on the charger for the duration. If your car starts easily with the battery charged there is no reason to replace it.

I made up a cigarette lighter plug for the below charger by cutting off the cord with a cigarette lighter plug made for something else at a Pep-Boys and spliced it to the battery termination adapter provided with the charger.

https://www.grainger.com/product/2UX...XD4-adType^PLA

Andy
Old 10-30-2017, 11:24 AM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Get a 1.5 amp float charger, put it on your battery for 4 hours and your car will start right up. Then leave it on the charger for the duration. If your car starts easily with the battery charged there is no reason to replace it.

I made up a cigarette lighter plug for the below charger by cutting off the cord with a cigarette lighter plug made for something else at a Pep-Boys and spliced it to the battery termination adapter provided with the charger.

https://www.grainger.com/product/2UX...XD4-adType^PLA

Andy
Thanks Andy! I've been trying to sort through all the noise out there about chargers so your recommendation is very timely. I often find things I need at Grainger and wish they were not a wholesale-only shop. If others are also interested in this model, here it is on Amazon:

Amazon Amazon

Thanks again.

Ron
Old 10-30-2017, 11:30 AM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

Could someone explain differences between a CTEK unit and the "float charger" referenced above? Would a CTEK accomplish the same outcome as the 1.5 amp device?
Old 10-30-2017, 11:35 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jrmdir
Thanks Andy! I've been trying to sort through all the noise out there about chargers so your recommendation is very timely. I often find things I need at Grainger and wish they were not a wholesale-only shop. If others are also interested in this model, here it is on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SE.../dp/B0009IBJAS

Thanks again.

Ron
You are welcome.

Good price for Amazon Prime!

Here is the cigarette adapter made up for those who do not wish to make up one DIY.
https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-Cigarette-Lighter-Adaptor/dp/B003E02MMC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1509374277&sr=8-4&keywords=12V+Battery+Charger+Male+Cigarette+Adapter https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-Cigarette-Lighter-Adaptor/dp/B003E02MMC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1509374277&sr=8-4&keywords=12V+Battery+Charger+Male+Cigarette+Adapter
Old 10-30-2017, 11:50 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fsa
Could someone explain differences between a CTEK unit and the "float charger" referenced above? Would a CTEK accomplish the same outcome as the 1.5 amp device?
Yes, but the 1.5 amp charger is more useful.
  • The CTEK looks to not be as flexible for use with other things that tending/ charging through the lighter IF the lighter socket is active with the key out of the ignition. Most modern cars do not have a live accessory socket once the key is out of the ignition. The CTEK doesnt seem to work with battery clamps.
  • I am not sure how well CTEK does at actually charging vs float, the 1.5 amp charger does both bringing a battery that is below starting threshold if not completely dead in a few hours.
  • Unlike CTEK once you close your door over the wire the 1.5 amp charger does not have any active components sitting in your car that can overheat or fail as the 1.5 amp charger power unit sits outside the car.
  • The 1.5 amp charger is very very durable, mine is over 10 years old, been dropped several times, used on multiple cars and my motorcycle.
  • The 1.5 Amp charger costs a lot less
Old 10-30-2017, 11:54 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 234 Likes on 157 Posts

I replace batteries at the 7 year mark because it's not worth $150 worrying about it. My experience is a battery trickle charged year round will go a decade - 6 or 7 years if it get's drained and re-charged a few times. I like the CTEK 3300 but also have an old orange Eliminator 2/4 amp unit which works great too. I plug 'em right into the lighter. No need to run it through the window. Get a scrap piece of similarly sized wire and find the spot, usually around the mirror, where you can shut the door on the wire without crushing it. These units supposedly have de-sulphating circuits whereas I don't think the 1.5 amp units do??
Old 10-30-2017, 12:04 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pp000830
Yes, but the 1.5 amp charger is more useful.
  • The CTEK looks to not be as flexible for use with other things that tending/ charging through the lighter IF the lighter socket is active with the key out of the ignition. Most modern cars do not have a live accessory socket once the key is out of the ignition. The CTEK doesnt seem to work with battery clamps.
  • I am not sure how well CTEK does at actually charging vs float, the 1.5 amp charger does both bringing a battery that is below starting threshold if not completely dead in a few hours.
  • Unlike CTEK once you close your door over the wire the 1.5 amp charger does not have any active components sitting in your car that can overheat or fail as the 1.5 amp charger power unit sits outside the car.
  • The 1.5 amp charger is very very durable, mine is over 10 years old, been dropped several times, used on multiple cars and my motorcycle.
  • The 1.5 Amp charger costs a lot less
The CTEK works just fine with battery clamps.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:33 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

Thank you for the responses.
My 4.3 CTEK sits outside the car on a concrete garage floor hard wired to the battery, along with Mark's comment. It does cost more than the 1.5 charger device referenced, but still far less than a battery.
My understanding is CTEK maintains battery health and longevity.

Quick Reply: Dead battery and winter storage?