993 Forum 1995-1998

Should I fear a garage queen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 11:19 AM
JonCanadian
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Should I fear a garage queen?

Many threads here advise avoiding garage queens because they won't have the SAI, valve guides or other things fixed. I'd be buying a 993 to drive so buying a high mileage sorted car seems to make good sense. But then I saw this baby with only 22K km (<15 K miles). Presumably nothing has been done to the car other than basic maintenance. It's priced at $72K USD, about 25K USD higher than other 993s local to me. Some of that markup is coming from this being a dealer sale but it's end of season and I might be able to bargain.

From my research here, the large ticket repair items (valve, SAI, clutch) are mileage related so my thinking is that I wouldn't have these issues to deal with for some time. Are there age related issues that I should anticipate? I realize that I will take a depreciation hit from driving a garage queen but I'm not all that worried about that.

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-custo...ails.ipl?cid=1
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2017, 11:23 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Or you could buy Onami's well sorted Canadian car in the Classifieds. Good luck.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-1997-c2s.html
Old 09-25-2017, 11:32 AM
JonCanadian
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
Or you could buy Onami's well sorted Canadian car in the Classifieds. Good luck.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-1997-c2s.html
Saw that. I've got a black BMW now and I'm not buying another black car.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:35 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCanadian
Many threads here advise avoiding garage queens because they won't have the SAI, valve guides or other things fixed. I'd be buying a 993 to drive so buying a high mileage sorted car seems to make good sense. But then I saw this baby with only 22K km (<15 K miles). Presumably nothing has been done to the car other than basic maintenance. It's priced at $72K USD, about 25K USD higher than other 993s local to me. Some of that markup is coming from this being a dealer sale but it's end of season and I might be able to bargain.

From my research here, the large ticket repair items (valve, SAI, clutch) are mileage related so my thinking is that I wouldn't have these issues to deal with for some time. Are there age related issues that I should anticipate? I realize that I will take a depreciation hit from driving a garage queen but I'm not all that worried about that.

http://locator.porsche.com/ipl-custo...ails.ipl?cid=1
in 2007 i bought a C4S with 17,000 miles.
I owned it for 10 years and put another 20K miles on it.
ZERO maintenance issues
you may have to buy tyres, but not much else.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:35 AM
LexVan
Banned

Saw that. I've got a black BMW now and I'm not buying another black car.
I get what you're saying. But Onami's car is Ocean Blue, much "better" than just black. The metallic in the paint will help a little regarding dirt/dust. Sell the BMW, problem solved.

*****hummm, I could be wrong about the metallic in OB.........
Old 09-25-2017, 11:38 AM
JonCanadian
Racer

Originally Posted by LexVan
I get what you're saying. But Onami's car is Ocean Blue, much "better" than just black. The metallic in the paint will help a little regarding dirt/dust. Sell the BMW, problem solved.
Oh it looks black in the photos. I love black when it's clean and polished. I just hate it when it gets dirty.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:40 AM
Gadsby
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Go this route and you'll never worry about mileage again. Yes it's not a 993 but I drive it everyday, except winter.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:45 AM
LexVan
Banned

Oh it looks black in the photos. I love black when it's clean and polished. I just hate it when it gets dirty.
Don't fret, all of Onami's sales include free weekly car washes. His ads don't say that, but I know it to be true.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:26 PM
crw
Rennlist Member

Received 350 Likes on 210 Posts

I only see a problem if the garage was unheated in a cold climate which was also damp with moisture.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:35 PM
JonCanadian
Racer

^^How could a PPI check this out if there was no rust apparent?
Old 09-25-2017, 12:37 PM
boman993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

That narrow body at PCO is in beautiful shape! I was checking it out recently and the interior is literally perfect.

I wouldn't worry too much about the low kms/high kms thing. If it has service records and it passes a PPI, pull the trigger and enjoy the ride! Mantis Racing is close for an unbiased PPI - I had mine done there. You'd get insight into what's coming up too. (The SAI clear-out service isn't expensive anyway if that was to ever arise, unless you mean doing a top end). I cleared out my clogged SAI ports 4K kms ago and still no check engine light/trouble.

Good luck with your purchase! 993 shopping is the best kind of shopping
Old 09-25-2017, 12:41 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 675 Likes on 446 Posts

A friend looked at that 95 a few weeks ago and was told that they had it on the lot for over a year. They were waiting for 'months on parts from Germany'. I've never heard of that before! Do your due diligence!!!
Old 09-25-2017, 12:58 PM
JonCanadian
Racer

Originally Posted by Onami
A friend looked at that 95 a few weeks ago and was told that they had it on the lot for over a year. They were waiting for 'months on parts from Germany'. I've never heard of that before! Do your due diligence!!!

If anyone has other info on this car, I'd greatly appreciate it. PCO is a 5 hour drive (I'm in Ottawa) and I'd hate to make the trip and be disappointed. Autotrader shows that price dropped from $105K to $89K over the last 6 weeks.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:59 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I think the biggest issue with low miles is if you expect maintenance to be significantly lower as a result. Some maintenance issues are miles related, but many are going to be based on age. Clutch, for instance, is miles. Suspension bushings are going to be based on age.

If money is no object, go with the lower mile example.

Here's a thread discussing pros/cons that may help you: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...intenance.html
Old 09-25-2017, 02:34 PM
JonCanadian
Racer

PCO sent me their service record. Based on the invoice, they got the car Dec 2016 and finished Jan2017. Most of the work is standard service stuff (brakes, filters, fluids, plugs, battery, wipers etc) and new tires. There was a valve cover gasket replacement based on an oil leak and new seals on a bumper and one of the doors. Seems pretty ordinary to me. This car is looking pretty good at the moment...

I got a kick out of the invoice they wrote to themselves: $10K Cdn, 5.5K of that in labor. Love the $45/each wipers and the 2 hour labour for the brake flush.

Quick Reply: Should I fear a garage queen?