993 Forum 1995-1998

Samurai_k's wrench log of upgrades and restoration of my 97 993 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 04:57 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Intro

This is my upgrades, repairs, and restoration log I have done on my 97 993 Coupe.

I am an engineer, builder, and creator of things. I grew up working on 2 and 4 stroke dirt bikes and modded my cars when I was younger and had time. I have rebuilt a few engines, so not afraid of wrenching. Back then all I had was shop manuals. How different it is now with great boards like this help us amateur hacks to get dirty jobs done.

My current project is a well sorted and cared for 97 993 Coupe "driver" I picked up locally this summer. More about her here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ownership.html

Last Update:
993RS heater blower delete/heater bypass upgrade

Projects Done:
  • Refurbish and upgrade front control arms to RS/Elephant sport bushings
  • Upgrade suspension with Bilstein PSS9 suspension kit
  • Upgrade anti roll bars to M030
  • Replace toe control arms and front control arm ball joints with OEM parts
  • Upgrade corner lenses to clears
  • Upgrade suspension with Brey Krause strut bar
  • Replace PS pump belt & PS reservoir
  • Upgrade suspension with Rear subframe bushing replacement
  • Refurbish and upgrade suspension with Rear control arm replacement/elephant sport bushing refurbishment
  • Upgrade motor with RS motor mounts
  • Remove the cosmoline from wheel wells and suspension components
  • Corner balance & alignment by Roger Krause Racing
  • Upgrade head unit and front component speaker install
  • Replace clock spring (Thanks @71-3.0-911 https://rennlist.com/forums/members/...1-3-0-911.html)
  • Replace tach backlights
  • Replace spark plug wires
  • Replace clutch master/slave cylinders
  • Clutch/brake flush

Change Log:

Sept 27: Added pics from Elephant bushing install, strut and arb removal
Oct 2: Added pics from PSS9 front strut, front control arm, and M030 ARB install
Oct 7: Added pics from PSS9 rear strut and toe control arm install
Oct 8: Added pics from Canonball Coffee Run
Nov 22: Added pics from PS belt install
Nov 23: Added pics from PS reservoir replacement and PS fluid flush
Jan 9: Added pics from Rear Suspension Overhaul, Tie Rods, Motor Mounts, Cosmoline Clean Up
April 9: Added pics from head unit and component speaker install
May 18: Added pics from clock spring repair/install
March 4: Added pics from spark plug wire replacement
March 18: Added pics from clutch master and slave cylinder replacement

Last edited by samurai_k; 11-24-2019 at 04:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by samurai_k:
barbancourt (04-15-2021), misterdega (02-24-2021)
Old 09-10-2017, 05:31 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Default Control arm repair- Step 1: Remove control arm

I started with repairing my control arm bushings with a the install of a new set as I had an annoying 50mph shimmy that got pretty old after a few days driving her on my commute to work.

Tools needed to remove the control arm

19MM socket
19MM wrench
18MM socket
18MM wrench
10MM socket
10MM wrench
Breaker bar or a 1/2" ratchet
Ball joint separator

Procedure:

1. Turn your steering rack so you can get easier access to the front of the control arm

2. Remove the plastic air deflector attached to the control arm with a 10MM socket and wrench

3. Remove the nut that attaches the knuckle to the control arm with a 18MM wrench

4. Remove the bolts that attach the control arm to the frame with a 19MM socket. I used a 1/2" ratchet as the bolts were torqued on pretty tight

5. Detach the knuckle from the control arm with a ball joint separator.

6. Wiggle the control arm and will come out.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:12 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Default Control arm repair: Step 2: Remove bushings

Getting the bushings out was a PIA. The instructions by Elephant and FDM for the Walrod PU bushings make it look so easy.

Here are their guides for reference

https://www.elephantracing.com/suspe...80%&height=95%

http://fdmotorsports.net/Control%20A...%20Install.pdf

I would say on the second arm it came out much faster as I figured out what not to do the second time around. I will include some of those tips below that was missing in the above instructions.

Tools needed:

Propane torch
Channel locks
Hammer
Chisel set
Drill and 3/8" bit
Jab saw with metal blade Jab saw with metal blade

A beer and a lot of patience!!!

1. Put the control arm in a vise. Heat the steel inner sleeves and use channel locks and twist them off. Like what the instructions say, heat them until the rubber starts smoking.

2. Use the drill and make two 3/8" slots in the rubber 90 degrees apart so that there is a gap from the center to the outer steel ring of the bushing. Then use a saw to take the rubber section out so there is only 3/4 of the bushing is left in the bushing.

Initially tried to directly saw into the rubber to get to the outer steel ring per the instructions. This was a futile effort. The drill blasted through the rubber easily down to the outer steel ring in seconds.

Use the jab saw to saw into the outer steel ring almost to the control arm so there is two notches approximately book ending the section you removed from the bushing. I tried to use the hack saw per the instructions and found it too flimsey. The sawzall blade of the jab saw makes the job of cutting out the rubber and cutting into the outer sleeve much faster.

3. Use the chisel and start to hammer out the 90 degree section out of the bushing. This is where you need extreme patience. Eventually it will curl down easily and once you get the half way the entire bushing will pop out. The craftsman set is nice as it has a few different ones you can use to get the curl going from starting with the small ones to eventually the bigger ones... I found that the 90 degree section was much easier to bang out than just just working on one of the notches that the instructions call out.

4. Use the chisel and hammer away at the lips of the forward bushings per the instructions. With another beer and patience they will come out...

5.Success the bushings are finally out!

Last edited by samurai_k; 09-10-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:27 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Default Control Arm Repair: Step 3: Clean/Polish the arms

Given the bushings and control arms are out I decided to take off the 20 year old cosmoline and try to return the arms to their natural aluminum finish. Since it was the weekend none of the media blasters were open so I used a drill with a fine wire wheel as well as a fine wire brush and some sweat to polish the arms.

I tried different brushes starting with nylon, brass, and eventually steel. The cosmoline is tough and so the fine wire wheel and brush were the only ones that had enough abrasive action to remove the cosmoline. I am pleased with the results.

Control arm coated with cosmoline and one without...

Both polished...

Next up bushing install...
Old 09-10-2017, 01:35 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Great diy and pictures, nice work!

Pro tip - when reinstalling the arms, load the suspension fully before tightening the arms beyond finger tight. Not just to ensure the bushings are oriented correctly but also to ensure the tab stays perfectly slotted into the notch. Loading the front can be tricky on jacks, I ended up rolling the front up on ramps and then jacking the rear up to get enough weight on the front.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:31 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Nice work!

I'm intimately familiar with the joys of replacing these bushings - I've rebuilt a few dozen sets over the last ten years or so...

Andreas
Old 09-14-2017, 09:38 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Nice DIY, really helps guys like me who have never attempted this understand what is involved when deciding if they want to do it.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:16 AM
sacman
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 85 Posts

Since you're also in the bay area, why didn't you let ER handle the bushings by dropping the control arms to their shop?
Old 09-14-2017, 10:37 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts

Very nicely done and documented!

I may take this on as a winter project.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:30 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sacman
Since you're also in the bay area, why didn't you let ER handle the bushings by dropping the control arms to their shop?
Some of us, myself included, would rather take the money we save @ maybe $125 per MH and spend it elsewhere.

OR

Remove your control arms and ship them along with your (Walrod, (rennlist member) bushing kit to , (AOW162435, Andreas, rennlist member) for old bushing removal, finish, and fitment of new bushings.

See bottom of his signature block in post # 6 above. Nice!

Last edited by nine9six; 01-21-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:02 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Guys... behind with posting my progress. Here is an update...

Last week attempted to install the Elephant sport bushings with my table vise. Had my first DIY #fail. I used my car jack handle as a lever to crank down my cheapo vise to push the rear bushing in. Well my vise broke from the torque. Luckily it broke on the bolt so was able to recover my vise minus it not being able to open as wide anymore...

After that setback asked Chuck @ Elephant Racing to push in my bushings for me for a nominal service fee. Had him also check out my front ball joints and toe control arm ball joints. He found some issues with them so he installed a new pair of lemforder ball joints along with my bushings, and ordered a new pair of OEM toe control arms. Got some tips and tricks to install the control arms, tie rods, and sway bar bushings so all in all time well spent.

Here is one of his project cars in his shop...

Now that I got my control arms ready, next step is to install my PSS10 kit!
Old 09-27-2017, 06:17 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Nice work! And thank you for sending out the sleeves.

Andreas

Last edited by AOW162435; 10-08-2018 at 06:30 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:23 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

While you're attacking this, and if ya don't have one, might wanna strut tower brace. Elephant, Rennline etc have them. :-)
Old 09-27-2017, 09:27 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Default Step 2: Removing OEM Struts and Anti Roll Bars

The Step by Step PSS10 Installation Guide is great.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...tallation.html

A veteran RLister shared with me a Bilstein HD DIY install guide that was also very good. Using those two guides and the Bentley guide made the removal process pretty straight forward. Attached are a few extra steps/hacks I did that were not documented in the guides...

1. Loosening the top hat on the front strut is a big PIA. I used my floor jack handle (the same one that broke my vise) and some sockets to improvise an allen key with a massive breaker bar. This made it really easy to loosen the nut...

2. Since I had stock struts that were not modded before, the brake lines fed through the strut. In the Bilstein HD DIY guide it shows you how to cut the strut so you can keep the brake lines intact so you don't have to bleed your brakes, which I didn't want to do as I just power flushed and bled my brakes. To do this you need to detach the front drop link from the carrier so you can get the dremel in position to cut the strut.

3. Removing the various plastic bits that attach the brake sensors to the strut is easy to do with a punch and a bent nail. Using those things I was able to get behind the nubbin that held the plastic bits and push it out enough so I can pull out the nubbin with some needle noise pliers.

4. Removing the front ARB (anti roll bar) was a bigger PIA. After loosening the brackets that hold it down, I used some WD-40 and through force and perseverance got the bushing out. I started with the passenger side first and then went to the driver side afterward. That was a good decision as the passenger side has more room to get behind the bushing to push it out which helped give enough play in the ARB to push out the driver side one later.

5. I was able to just remove the airbox cover to get to the rear passenger side strut mount. The space it tight, but if you have a ratchet with small teeth it will eventually come out.

With all of that done, then following the steps in the PSS10 DIY guide you dissemble the old...

and reassemble the new...

Now I am ready for the ARB and PSS10 strut install!

Last edited by samurai_k; 09-27-2017 at 10:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:32 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Good progress - nice work!

Quick Reply: Samurai_k's wrench log of upgrades and restoration of my 97 993 Coupe