Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Differences in a 3.8?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 01:40 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Should read "retro fit cam gears". Early style cam gears allow for more precise cam timing.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:31 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As MarinS4 has mentioned, A compression bump and some happier cams goes along way in waking up these engines. As Steve W will attest to, the stock compression on these engines is never much over 10.8:1 a long way shy of the advertised 11.3:1.

Gaining that 'loss' back and some cams that open her up makes a significant difference and the spend is substantially less that a full displacement build (which should also include cams etc).

I am personally a fan of happier cams that the RS, however that does bring about a need for solid lifters and could make it a challenge with any smog testing requirements.

As for turbo's etc, it really comes down to cooling design and execution, heat is a killer for turbos and doubly so for air cooled engines, substantial oil cooling and intercooling is a must, many guys on the 993tt forum know the right formula, MarinS4 included.

I love turbo Porsches, however on the track there really is something special about a camed NA engine running to redline...
Old 09-29-2017, 12:44 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Compression bump

Originally Posted by trophy
As MarinS4 has mentioned, A compression bump and some happier cams goes along way in waking up these engines. As Steve W will attest to, the stock compression on these engines is never much over 10.8:1 a long way shy of the advertised 11.3:1.

Gaining that 'loss' back and some cams that open her up makes a significant difference and the spend is substantially less that a full displacement build (which should also include cams etc).

I am personally a fan of happier cams that the RS, however that does bring about a need for solid lifters and could make it a challenge with any smog testing requirements.

As for turbo's etc, it really comes down to cooling design and execution, heat is a killer for turbos and doubly so for air cooled engines, substantial oil cooling and intercooling is a must, many guys on the 993tt forum know the right formula, MarinS4 included.

I love turbo Porsches, however on the track there really is something special about a camed NA engine running to redline...
How do you get a compression bump without installing new pistons and/or cylinders?
Old 09-29-2017, 04:46 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Surfer
How do you get a compression bump without installing new pistons and/or cylinders?
The old school method of decking can be done to an extent, however there is a limitation to ensure the deck height is still within spec. Steve W would have better knowledge here on how much can be achieved (if any) here.

Compression is driven by piston and heads, and their relationship, you could put new pistons in exiting cylinders, that would be the best/cheapest way to go.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:13 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Default Compression Bump

The old school method of decking can be done to an extent, however there is a limitation to ensure the deck height is still within spec. Steve W would have better knowledge here on how much can be achieved (if any) here.

Compression is driven by piston and heads, and their relationship, you could put new pistons in exiting cylinders, that would be the best/cheapest way to go.
It seems surprising to me that a .5 increase in compression (10.8 to 11.3) would make a substantial difference in performance.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:38 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

It seems surprising to me that a .5 increase in compression (10.8 to 11.3) would make a substantial difference in performance.
Magen you multiply by 3 cylinder per rotation and 6800 rpm it all adds up😀
Old 09-29-2017, 08:55 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

I love turbo Porsches, however on the track there really is something VERYspecial about a camed NA engine running to redline...
Fixed that a little to meet my sentiments!

:-)
Old 09-30-2017, 03:26 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

There is, but an accompanied increase in octane requirements.

The latter is problematic in most parts of this country.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:29 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

And Steve, isn’t compression the result of a whole bunch of upgrades? You don’t just swap pistons, correct?
Old 10-01-2017, 11:06 PM
Silver Surfer
Racer

Default Compression

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
There is, but an accompanied increase in octane requirements.

The latter is problematic in most parts of this country.
im in Seattle, isn't 92 octane ok?
Old 10-02-2017, 11:07 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by JPS
And Steve, isn’t compression the result of a whole bunch of upgrades? You don’t just swap pistons, correct?
Compression changes mainly come from using different pistons since deck height isn't adjustable on the 3.6.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:08 AM
RL Technical Advisor

im in Seattle, isn't 92 octane ok?
92 is OK for a stock compression engine.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:42 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
92 is OK for a stock compression engine.
Getting my motor back soon. 1990 model. New Mahle P&C's and over-milled the heads slightly. Reportedly 11.05 to 1 on compression now. Stock cams. Running 93 octane and getting Steve Wong to do his magic.

Any issues with this that you see Steve Weiner ?
Old 10-16-2017, 09:42 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
I just installed a Varioarm intake in my 95. The difference is noticeable.
Am I naïve to think this can be accomplished by bolting on a Varioram intake and associated bits to a '95 motor? Maybe a computer change?

Quick Reply: Differences in a 3.8?