993 Forum 1995-1998

"Classic NextGen" views of Rennlist

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 12:53 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I am having more pop up ads and other crap I ignore and rennlist is not what it was when John D ran it. It is really sad that they would consider their sponsors over those they are trying to reach out to.
Exactly this.

Since IB's acquisition, it looks like the focus is mostly on making sure the money train keeps moving, and truth and/or the spirit of what originally made Rennlist so special and fantastic, is just an afterthought at best.

Although Mark, who is a moderator, insists otherwise, it sure feels like there is lots of kowtowing to the sponsors/dealers, especially in For Sale ads. I've see lots of truthful comments posted there that are in the members' best interest taken down by moderators, (perhaps at the dealers' behest?), because hey, the dealers are the sponsors, the sponsors are the money, and clearly, money overrides truth and what's in the members' best interest these days.

Oh well. It was great while it lasted.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:53 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Exactly this.

Since IB's acquisition, it looks like the focus is mostly on making sure the money train keeps moving, and truth and/or the spirit of what originally made Rennlist so special and fantastic, is just an afterthought at best.

Although Mark, who is a moderator, insists otherwise, it sure feels like there is lots of kowtowing to the sponsors/dealers, especially in For Sale ads. I've see lots of truthful comments posted there that are in the members' best interest taken down by moderators, (perhaps at the dealers' behest?), because hey, the dealers are the sponsors, the sponsors are the money, and clearly, money overrides truth and what's in the members' best interest these days.

Oh well. It was great while it lasted.
Give it a rest, Philip. Please.

Comments in private sellers' For Sale threads are curtailed, so it's not not just dealers' threads. Pretty sure I communicated this to you, but here it is again:

IB has not given any standing orders to protect sponsors. Period.

People need to leave sellers' threads alone (unless there is verifiable misrepresentation). Don't like the price, color, options, etc.? Feel free to start another thread outside of the seller's thread in the tech forums. No one is stopping you from discussing The Truth in this manner.

Too many people have complained about the peanut gallery constantly taking potshots in sellers' threads, so this is the method that's being used.

Don't believe me? Please feel free to contact Bob Rouleau, 911SLOW or even John D.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:32 PM
ace10
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Why does RL allow favorable pricing comments in the FS threads?

Either pricing comments are OK or they are not. As it stands now, there is an obvious pro-seller bias.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:05 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Give it a rest, Philip. Please.

Comments in private sellers' For Sale threads are curtailed, so it's not not just dealers' threads. Pretty sure I communicated this to you, but here it is again:

IB has not given any standing orders to protect sponsors. Period.

People need to leave sellers' threads alone (unless there is verifiable misrepresentation). Don't like the price, color, options, etc.? Feel free to start another thread outside of the seller's thread in the tech forums. No one is stopping you from discussing The Truth in this manner.

Too many people have complained about the peanut gallery constantly taking potshots in sellers' threads, so this is the method that's being used.

Don't believe me? Please feel free to contact Bob Rouleau, 911SLOW or even John D.

Originally Posted by ace10
Why does RL allow favorable pricing comments in the FS threads?

Either pricing comments are OK or they are not. As it stands now, there is an obvious pro-seller bias.
Ay caramba...! Earlier in this thread, you said to "feel free to criticize IB all we want" and now you want me to "give it a rest"

Mark, I'm not trying to be a pain, but, clearly, I'm not the only one who perceives that the way things are handled here lately makes it look like there is an unfair bias towards sponsors/sellers at the expense of what is in the best interest of the members
Old 09-14-2017, 04:57 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Ay caramba...! Earlier in this thread, you said to "feel free to criticize IB all we want" and now you want me to "give it a rest"

Mark, I'm not trying to be a pain, but, clearly, I'm not the only one who perceives that the way things are handled here lately makes it look like there is an unfair bias towards sponsors/sellers at the expense of what is in the best interest of the members
There is no "gotcha" here. I said "feel free to criticize IB all you want." Guess what? The mods are not IB.

More differences:

1) The mods did not roll out Classic Next Gen; IB did. 2) IB did not give orders to protect sellers, private or dealers; this was a mod change.

I know some people just love criticizing/commenting in the For Sale threads. The problem is that the For Sale threads become a sh*t show. If people keep it up, the classifieds will be changed to a Pelican-style format so that only sellers can respond.

Lastly, this is also a matter of being polite. John D. has written about it, and 911SLOW has written about it. If you were to sell something, would you want a dog pile from people who have no intention of buying your item?

Originally Posted by 911SLOW
As a reminder, posting in another member's for sale thread negative and irrelevant comments or a similar item for sale is impolite and not tolerated on Rennlist.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:38 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Lastly, this is also a matter of being polite. John D. has written about it, and 911SLOW has written about it. If you were to sell something, would you want a dog pile from people who have no intention of buying your item?
Of course not.

But "polite" is subjective.

For example, Rennlist now deems it impolite to add a link to, say, a dealer's For Sale ad showing the exact same car for tens of thousands of dollars less elsewhere, which is clearly in the members best interest. No pot shots, just a better deal elsewhere.

Now, that would definitely be construed as polite to the prospective buyer, who sees he can get the exact same car elsewhere and save thousands.

And, I know some might call this a stretch, but it could also be construed as polite to the prospective seller as well, who is now informed he's priced his car above market value and now doesn't have to waste his time over the next month simply bumping his ad to the top over and over and over and over again for a car that won't sell at that price, which happens now all the time in the For Sale section.

I don't comment on For Sale ads anymore, but perhaps a change to a Pelican style format would be best, since favorable pricing comments are as useless as criticisms are, and create a perception of a pro-seller bias on this site, as someone else pointed out.

Anyway, it's not my site; you guys can set whatever rules you want. And the rules you set, and how they are enforced, or not, will shape the perception of the members.

Thanks for moderating Mark. As I've said to you, it's a thankless job, so thanks again
Old 09-14-2017, 05:51 PM
ace10
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

So how does an interested party know when the "GREAT PRICE !!1!!!!1!11" comments, which are clearly intended to influence buyers, are simply well wishers versus coming from a shill?

There's one FS in particular that I can recall where a car is listed by a consignment dealer. The owner repeatedly posts in that thread with comments. Yet, to the best of my recollection, doesn't disclose their ownership interest each and every time.

Or how about buddies who simply cheerlead in FS threads over and over? This happens every day.

Price discussion is either taboo or it isn't. To me, it's a black and white issue.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:21 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

So how does an interested party know when the "GREAT PRICE !!1!!!!1!11" comments, which are clearly intended to influence buyers, are simply well wishers versus coming from a shill?
A shill implies that the person is secretly working for the other person. Not sure there is much of that going on.

There's one FS in particular that I can recall where a car is listed by a consignment dealer. The owner repeatedly posts in that thread with comments. Yet, to the best of my recollection, doesn't disclose their ownership interest each and every time.

Or how about buddies who simply cheerlead in FS threads over and over? This happens every day.
In this case this one could report this to the moderators and let us investigate.

Price discussion is either taboo or it isn't. To me, it's a black and white issue.
And to others it's a grey area. Pelican allows no comments. Early 911 Registry allows every comment, but the forum there is much smaller and much easier for the "resident" experts to police.

The Great American 993s for Sale + Price Discussion Thread is a good resource for perspective buyers as are a number of other options.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:21 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Gentlemen, back on topic, por favor? Is there anything from IB or are they simply ignoring the issue of UI here?
Old 09-14-2017, 09:02 PM
il pirata
Banned

We where told to expect something back this week...I know it's Thursday.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:02 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Do the moderators have an inside track to IB in order to promote the members documented preference?
Old 09-14-2017, 09:14 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks, Bob! If you could please report here what they do, if anything?
Old 09-14-2017, 10:08 PM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by nile13
Thanks, Bob! If you could please report here what they do, if anything?

Mark or I will be glad to advise whatever we hear.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:13 PM
il pirata
Banned

Originally Posted by nine9six
Do the moderators have an inside track to IB in order to promote the members documented preference?
We do have access to IB staff, not sure I would call it an inside track. In any case we do try to present member views when given the chance, although obviously we have differing views among the members!
Old 09-14-2017, 10:35 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
Mark or I will be glad to advise whatever we hear.
Please duplicate these updates in any of the numerous IB bitch threads in OT (or at least the latest one for that week).

Quick Reply: "Classic NextGen" views of Rennlist