993 Forum 1995-1998

Possible Tiers of 993 Engine Rebuilding/Upgrading

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 03:54 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
At this point I think I'm leaning towards the RS Cams/Valves approach along with a top end. Adding a LWFW/MWFW and transmission regearing would be gravy on top.

Now to find some spare thousands of dollars...
Doing the LWFW might make good sense once the motor is out of the car however...and does make a difference, and with the cams is a good mod. Opening up the Transmission is another level.

PS> you have a PM.

oh, and it might take more than just a few....
Old 09-01-2017, 08:19 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

FWIW,....

The very first questions I ask prospective clients asking for more performance are:

1) Whats your budget: how much are you willing to spend?

2) Do you need to maintain emissions compliance?

The answers to those questions is what REALLY determines what is possible to do.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:00 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
FWIW,....

The very first questions I ask prospective clients asking for more performance are:

1) Whats your budget: how much are you willing to spend?

2) Do you need to maintain emissions compliance?

The answers to those questions is what REALLY determines what is possible to do.
1) I'm asking to figure out what to budget for. It will be a while regardless, but it helps me to have a target amount in mind.

2) I'd still have to pass California SMOG checks with OBD 1. I'm sure this will limit the options.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:43 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

1) I'm asking to figure out what to budget for. It will be a while regardless, but it helps me to have a target amount in mind.

2) I'd still have to pass California SMOG checks with OBD 1. I'm sure this will limit the options.
If you're in CA, like me, I can assure you that if you're looking to rebuild a 993 engine and you are not doing it yourself, you're probably looking at least $10K. That's not including any "while you're in there" work or anything else other than the engine rebuild and related items. Any other additional work you'll want to do while the engine is out and you discover new issues or big ticket items like clutch parts need replacing etc., will make that bill rise significantly. Anything fun like 3.8 or RS cams etc adds even more.
Old 09-02-2017, 02:59 AM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with the RS style cams, and the performance chip. I can't really speak to the performance (didn't have the car long before the modifications and it had an old clutch) but the sound of the RS cams and fister II's is amazing! You won't be disappointed.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:31 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile Fix Leaks, 993 Engine R&R

Already did that. What's leaking requires the engine out.
In my area, CA Central Coast, it's about $1,000 to R&R an engine. Once the engine is out, what a great time to clean up the engine bay, replace the sound insulation, remove any mice nests, etc.

My mechanic at SGS Motorsports in San Luis Obispo, is resistent to fixing leaks with the motor in the car. He takes the motor out, puts it on an engine stand, and does the job right, whatever it takes. He can easily get to areas that would require a contortionist with the engine in the car.

I have a few minor seeps/leaks, but there is no such ting as minor in my vocabulary. Hence, I am having him do mine. I want the motor in my 993 to be " dry as a bone". I'll pay the money to prevent having to live with, "They all leak." Not good enough. I don't want any mini-puddles of oil in my garage. But then again, I am a bit obsessive compulsive.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:33 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.

I have a few minor seeps/leaks, but there is no such ting as minor in my vocabulary. Hence, I am having him do mine. I want the motor in my 993 to be " dry as a bone". I'll pay the money to prevent having to live with, "They all leak." Not good enough. I don't want any mini-puddles of oil in my garage. But then again, I am a bit obsessive compulsive.
ahhhhhhhhhh so you decided to keep Baby?
smart man.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:55 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

What are people's experience with the costs of those tiers?
Old 09-09-2017, 08:48 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Chain housing gasket o-ring was the diagnosis. Since then it seems like leaking might have increased so there might be some of that too.

I've had the valve cover and chain cover gaskets inspected/replaced.
Ahhh, done those quite a few times without dropping the engine - not a big deal. Have to time the cams again but that not an issue with the engine in the car.

At the most 10 hours - since the exhaust/engine carriers/sheet metal/covers/valve covers all have to come off.

NO way is this significant enough to drop the engine and do a rebuild.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-09-2017, 11:24 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Mike J while the leak alone might be fixable without dropping the engine, my 993 has nearly 187k miles on it with no documentation of prior engine rebuild work. I think it's time...
Old 09-11-2017, 12:45 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

If you're not strongly attached to your car maybe you can sell "as is" and get into another one with less miles. I understand the new one has risks too but I've seen some great deals out there lately for higher mile cars (80k+). I bet you can cover the difference for around 20k and have a car with half the miles. Just something to consider.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:45 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Originally Posted by MarinS4
If you're not strongly attached to your car maybe you can sell "as is" and get into another one with less miles. I understand the new one has risks too but I've seen some great deals out there lately for higher mile cars (80k+). I bet you can cover the difference for around 20k and have a car with half the miles. Just something to consider.
I've certainly contemplated that route (or even buying a water pumper replacement), but the market in its "as is" condition would likely pay me the same price I paid to get into the car to begin with. Since then I've redone the steering, brakes, suspension, alternator, CVs, etc. I don't want to end up doing all that over again with the next car.

Perhaps I bought it above market given the true state of the vehicle, but what is done is done. At this point I think I'm pretty much convinced that now is the time to drop the engine and get it completely rebuilt.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:43 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I've certainly contemplated that route (or even buying a water pumper replacement), but the market in its "as is" condition would likely pay me the same price I paid to get into the car to begin with. Since then I've redone the steering, brakes, suspension, alternator, CVs, etc. I don't want to end up doing all that over again with the next car.

Perhaps I bought it above market given the true state of the vehicle, but what is done is done. At this point I think I'm pretty much convinced that now is the time to drop the engine and get it completely rebuilt.
I agree with you here - condition is more important than miles. If you have a car you feel good about, don't trade it for an unknown just because the miles are lower.

Otherwise you will be one of those guys that puts all the time and money into his car so the next guy can enjoy your work instead of you
Old 09-15-2017, 07:41 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

At this point I'm leaning towards a fresh 3.6L with RS cams and larger 96+ intake valves. At the same time adding a LWFW, retrofitting a Varioram intake, replacing my long deceased factory LSD with a new Guards unit, and a new Steve Wong chip to account for all the changes.

I'd love to regear the transmission too but with all that's listed above, I'm sure that I'm beyond my intended budget already.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:24 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

What's the variorum cost?

Quick Reply: Possible Tiers of 993 Engine Rebuilding/Upgrading