Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 01:16 AM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NS2 Media
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but is this the end of headlight washer nozzles!? About time... :-)
They're useful in the winter! Grime builds up on you headlights while driving... give them a blast... and boom... your headlights are now "twice" as bright!
Old 12-03-2018, 01:18 AM
Crester
Pro

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
As with the move to EPS, if nobody told you it changed, you'd never notice it.
You really trying to say the difference between electric and hydraulic power steering is not noticeable??? You must be one of these super cushy GT customers Porsche are chasing after now... lol
Old 12-03-2018, 01:43 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Crester
Every car I've heard of with electric boosted brakes have had complaints of poor brake feel or just weird brake feel in general.
I’m wondering how PEBB (Porsche Electrical Brake Boost - just made that up) is going to fail safe. With the ‘old-school’ vacuum boost you had enough ‘stored vacuum’ in the booster for 1 - 3 fully boosted stops if the engine was dead. I wonder if PEBB has a separate little battery for an emergency ‘dead-stick’ stop? Does it rely on the main battery for dead-stick operation? What happens when the alternator goes? Etc.

Old 12-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
As with the move to EPS, if nobody told you it changed, you'd never notice it.
Unless your daily is a minivan, you'll probably notice.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:37 PM
Crester
Pro

Originally Posted by worf928

I’m wondering how PEBB (Porsche Electrical Brake Boost - just made that up) is going to fail safe. With the ‘old-school’ vacuum boost you had enough ‘stored vacuum’ in the booster for 1 - 3 fully boosted stops if the engine was dead. I wonder if PEBB has a separate little battery for an emergency ‘dead-stick’ stop? Does it rely on the main battery for dead-stick operation? What happens when the alternator goes? Etc.

Good question. But I was playing around with my Audi... and shut the engine off while the car was still moving and the steering (electric) still worked normally... so there has to be power still for the brakes on an electric system. I tried the same thing on a hydraulic power steering car and as soon as I turned off the engine the steering got super heavy.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:45 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Good question. But I was playing around with my Audi... and shut the engine off while the car was still moving and the steering (electric) still worked normally... so there has to be power still for the brakes on an electric system. I tried the same thing on a hydraulic power steering car and as soon as I turned off the engine the steering got super heavy.
Right. There's no mechanism - at least I've never heard of, or seen one - on hydraulic steering that will enable power assistance if the engine is dead. Whereas, with the brakes, the brake booster is a 'reservoir of vacuum' thus enabling a finite but non-zero amount of power assistance even if the vacuum source (engine) is no longer there..

Interesting about the Audi with 'lectric steering. It has to be using a battery. It doesn't unconditionally follow that electric brakes would HAVE to be battery backed but, it would make easy sense. What Model/MY?

Last edited by worf928; 12-03-2018 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:01 PM
Crester
Pro

Right. There's no mechanism - at least I've never heard of, or seen one - on hydraulic steering that will enable power assistance if the engine is dead. Whereas, with the brakes, the brake booster is a 'reservoir of vacuum' thus enabling a finite but non-zero amount of power assistance even if the vacuum source (engine) is no longer there..

Interesting about the Audi with 'lectric steering. It has to be using a battery. It doesn't unconditionally follow that electric brakes would HAVE to be battery backed but, it would made easy sense. What Model/MY?
Brand new Audi TT-RS... but I assume what I found out would apply to their whole lineup. Whatever allowed the steering to keep working when the engine was off I assume would also be applied to the electric braking system. Would be interesting to see what happens when that back up source runs out tho...
Old 12-03-2018, 05:10 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Brand new Audi TT-RS... but I assume what I found out would apply to their whole lineup. Whatever allowed the steering to keep working when the engine was off I assume would also be applied to the electric braking system. Would be interesting to see what happens when that back up source runs out tho...
It may be like an aircraft in the sense that certain systems are permanently on the battery as a secondary power source (Hot battery bus, or switched hot battery bus). Electric brakes would be an obvious candidate, as would the head lights.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:44 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14

It may be like an aircraft in the sense that certain systems are permanently on the battery as a secondary power source (Hot battery bus, or switched hot battery bus). Electric brakes would be an obvious candidate, as would the head lights.
I did that with a boat I owned a while back. Wired the bilge pumps around the main batt switch.
Old 12-04-2018, 06:12 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

The 1990 Range Rover had electrically boosted brakes. That era Range Rover was my first experience with an electronically boosted brake system.

I assume things have moved on since then () but the system was hooked up to the battery so even with an alternator failure it still worked and had an accumulator to store pressure. Ignition would fail before the pump. It functioned as manual non-power brakes if the electronic power booster failed. I never saw or heard of one fail where you did not get a warning light first.

Honestly, other than the cost of replacement parts, I did not hate it. Pedal was very firm and had great initial bite, and once you got used to it, it was easy eoungh to modulate. It felt and worked about the same as hydroboost that would see on 3/4 ton and up pick up trucks. Compared to the similar era vacuum boosted ABS in the discovery, it was much superior in function.

I think it is all down to pedal feel, but unlike steering where hydraulic (or manual) inherently gives better feel because of variable feedback pressure, I see no reason why that would be true with brakes. NSX has a drive by wire brake system which I hope porsche’s is not. We shall see.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:42 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,469 Likes on 623 Posts

More-important to me is getting the MT and no SC. Since, it is inevitable that auto-rev-matching will work in S/S+ modes and not be defeatible. And, I expect human-rev-matching to be difficult in normal mode because of emissions controls..'
I agree with you. I read recently, I believe about the GT3, where Porsche admitted it was a mistake to not make rev matching defeatable. I hope they will come to their senses with the 992. I wish that rev matching was a stand alone option. I hate it. Half the joy of driving a manual is rev matching yourself.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:36 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
I agree with you. I read recently, I believe about the GT3, where Porsche admitted it was a mistake to not make rev matching defeatable. I hope they will come to their senses with the 992. I wish that rev matching was a stand alone option. I hate it. Half the joy of driving a manual is rev matching yourself.
Rev matching is "defeatable" in the 991.2 GT3. See the screen shot on the description of "Sport Mode" from the 991.2 GT3 manual. The purpose of Sport Mode is rev matching. When disabled, the driver rev matches without the assistance of the vehicle.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:01 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Old 12-04-2018, 10:15 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

^^ hilarious
Old 12-04-2018, 11:27 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,469 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Rev matching is "defeatable" in the 991.2 GT3. See the screen shot on the description of "Sport Mode" from the 991.2 GT3 manual. The purpose of Sport Mode is rev matching. When disabled, the driver rev matches without the assistance of the vehicle.
Yeah, that's what I meant. They made it defeatable in the GT3 addnitting that it was a mistake to not do so as was their prior practice. I don't know if that mentally will translate to the 992. But I can hope.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE