Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 12:54 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

If anyone wants a laugh, checkout the smoking package option in the configurator:

Old 11-30-2018, 12:55 PM
nimprojects
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope you can remove these… gave them a wiggle, feels like you can.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:58 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by dkhm3
So I guess no more aftermarket exhaust tips with the fake exhaust

you’d have to change out the entire rear bumper.

Who's gonna complain about Fabspeed now??

No more, I lost an exhaust tip threads??

Lol
Old 11-30-2018, 03:20 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,170 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s

Thought this was cool. Haven’t seen black interior with the wood.
Also of note in the bottom pic is the placement for the convertible top buttons if anybody didn't notice...
Old 11-30-2018, 07:22 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
HATE the inevitably pixelated digital gauges replacing my iconic, analogue Porsche ones (I'm not a watch guy, but digi gauges made to look analogue is like a wanting a Rolex yet settling for its face graphic on an Apple Watch) and all the touch surfaces. HATE. No tactile feedback which communicate a story about the underlying quality engrained within the car (like the satisfying "click" of a button). It's just a plastic digital screen like in every other car and surface you touch. No physical personality to it.
Gotta say I don't get this argument. A Rolex face on an Apple watch doesn't add any functional elements, while a good 'glass cockpit' brings a lot of powerful options to the table. That is why they are used in aircraft.

Good UI design is as artful, demanding, and yes, soulful, as any watchmaker's craft. You can make crappy watches just as you can make crappy user interfaces. Neither of these facts reflects on the potential of the medium itself.

I am not defending the 992's interior design here, which appears to be thoughtlessly executed in some respects. Just saying that these elements can be executed well when the right artistic and engineering talent is in place, along with management who provides the necessary patience, funding, and above all, discipline.

And NO MORE SPORT BUTTON UNLESS YOU GET SPORT CHRONO?! WHAT?! You have to go into the screen to click the sport button?? Is this a sports car or an S Class?
I assume that's what the switches along the shelf are for. The two on the left are joker buttons, aren't they? You will hopefully be able to assign one to sport and the other to other functions like PSE or PASM.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:30 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
You're right on many points. But the glasshouse is DEFINITELY different. The windshield might be identical, but the side greenhouse albeit an identical shape to the 991, is slightly smaller. You'll notice it when you see the car, get into it (less airy feeling and your arm can't rest on the door sill as easily). Also, the rear glass isn't as pinched down toward the bottom as the 991, which is kind of lame as that's such a distinctive 911 characteristic, and now the rear 992 glass just looks like a basic square. They really wanted to "tidy up" the rear, too much so imo.

Funny that after all that "new chassis" and "engine moving forward" talk by all the big rags, we essentially have a 991 with barely halfway revised skin. I'm relieved, as it bodes very well for our 991's and the 992 (why mess with perfection), but it's just interesting.

WTFFFF are they thinking?!

BUT.... At least we get to find our where the nearest public bathroom is. Maybe they can fuse that into the Porsche Tinder Control feature! #WorthIt [facepalm]

Speaking of which (since Porsche refuse to share technical data that.. you know.. befits a 911 release), here are some interior observations I made when I sat in one, that I shared in another thread:

When I sat in the 992, the interior felt far more opulent. More luxurious ambiance by far, much, much less sport. I liked it in some ways, and didn't in plenty. It feels very mature and coddling, especially for a 911. In fact, without the window sill and familiar greenhouse, you'd be hard pressed to know you're in a 911, never mind sports car.

I HATE the nubbin, HATE the inevitably pixelated digital gauges replacing my iconic, analogue Porsche ones (I'm not a watch guy, but digi gauges made to look analogue is like a wanting a Rolex yet settling for its face graphic on an Apple Watch) and all the touch surfaces. HATE. No tactile feedback which communicate a story about the underlying quality engrained within the car (like the satisfying "click" of a button). It's just a plastic digital screen like in every other car and surface you touch. No physical personality to it.

And NO MORE SPORT BUTTON UNLESS YOU GET SPORT CHRONO?! WHAT?! You have to go into the screen to click the sport button?? Is this a sports car or an S Class?

One thing I did like were the new aluminum seeming "flip switches" along the enormously long shelf. They feel good ("fighter jet style") and are maybe the only surface that feels of higher quality than what it replaces.
From reading your post, I think the Jaguar F-Type is ideally suited for you. Very iconic and tactile. Lots of analog dials. Proper gear lever that works. Sport mode selector switch without need for sport chrono. No sport chrono. Not too luxurious. Vents in the traditional place.

Porsche has always been a more forward looking brand. And this car is going to kill it from a sales perspective. But there are options for those who want something more traditional.

Last edited by stealthpilot; 11-30-2018 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:51 AM
FactoryMatt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
From reading your post, I think the Jaguar F-Type is ideally suited for you. Very iconic and tactile. Lots of analog dials. Proper gear lever that works. Sport mode selector switch without need for sport chrono. No sport chrono. Not too luxurious. Vents in the traditional place.

Porsche has always been a more forward looking brand. And this car is going to kill it from a sales perspective. But there are options for those who want something more traditional.
thats why the engines still in the back and they stick to mac struts right?
Old 12-01-2018, 03:24 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by FactoryMatt
thats why the engines still in the back and they stick to mac struts right?
Now that's just !@#$ing hilarious. Porsche does know how to ship a mass-production sports car with double a-arm height-adjustable coil-overs stock. I always wondered why they couldn't be bothered with the 911.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:38 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Needs wood wheel.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:17 PM
phobos512
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Somebody had asked about the new tailpipes and they line up with the rear bumper. I got down yesterday morning on the ground and took some close up pics on one of the cars. While the tailpipes themselves are integrated into the bumper, there's quite a distance to the actual muffler outlets, so you can indeed get a view through them of various things (not that I tried too hard). I was a bit surprised at how the outlets don't line up to the actual tips.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:33 PM
phobos512
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here are a few other pictures I took of a few of the cars on display. A close-up of the matrix headlights, the CHMSL, the carbon fiber roof on one of the 4Ss, an overhead shot of the interior, and the front sensors. I'm not a fan of the new interior matte carbon fiber. It looks fake.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:38 PM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by phobos512
Here are a few other pictures I took of a few of the cars on display. A close-up of the matrix headlights, the CHMSL, the carbon fiber roof on one of the 4Ss, an overhead shot of the interior, and the front sensors. I'm not a fan of the new interior matte carbon fiber. It looks fake.

I don’t know about others, but I really like the carbon fiber roof option. Thanks for the pics!
Old 12-01-2018, 08:56 PM
PLom
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carbon fiber roof appears not to be in the US configurator, was this an Exclusive optioned car?

Cheers, -Peter
Old 12-02-2018, 03:18 AM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Carbon fibre roof does look pretty cool and is available on the configurator in the U.K.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:41 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

I see it on the UK configurator as well. Anyone know how much weight it saves? Please tell me it’s not just cosmetic.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE