Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 11:21 PM
Cloudplay
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Funny, Doug Demuro said just the opposite after seeing one for the first time. Said exactly what many of us have felt, it doesn’t look like a minor refresh, but an entirely new car and much more modern.
I bet if I traded my 2014 C4S for a 992 in black, my wife would never find out (unless she checked our account balances).
Old 11-23-2018, 11:58 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloudplay
I bet if I traded my 2014 C4S for a 992 in black, my wife would never find out (unless she checked our account balances).
Maybe glasses are in order?
Old 11-24-2018, 12:03 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

That blue looks pretty close to sapphire blue, maybe darker. Wonder what it is called. Glasurit is down and that is where I got all my new Porsche color info.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:07 AM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

What is the theory for the faint lines/gaps in this picture, running from the extension of the C-pillar through the rear spoiler? In the Car magazine article from a couple of month ago, Georg Kacher talked about a "trick" "three-piece" rear spoiler? A folding Transformer-like rear spoiler like on the Panamera GTS/Turbo would be cool. Car also got the painted rear bumper lower surround right in their render (not sure if any of the pre-production cars showed that).
The spoiler is one piece.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aut...ler-spy-shots/
Old 11-24-2018, 12:18 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

What is the theory for the faint lines/gaps in this picture, running from the extension of the C-pillar through the rear spoiler? In the Car magazine article from a couple of month ago, Georg Kacher talked about a "trick" "three-piece" rear spoiler? A folding Transformer-like rear spoiler like on the Panamera GTS/Turbo would be cool. Car also got the painted rear bumper lower surround right in their render (not sure if any of the pre-production cars showed that).

Just contour line following down. Not a seam.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:29 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
GT3 cup style interior would be fine with me. Don’t stop at sound deadening, get rid of the carpet entirely and the headliner should be an unpadded single sheet of alcantara (on lotus they would fall off so we can just skip the headlining entirely). Who needs a glove box and a lower dash? Serves no real purpose. Ditch the cage, throw LWBs and a couple airbags to make the feds happy in this and I am happy.
Cockpit design is very regulated - most of that is impossible. With CF doors (or Cup style doors) you lose side impact protection. Bare chassis in the cockpit would not be allowed by anyone. All the upholstery hides lots of foam and crush structures to dampen impacts.

Virtually every surface has some sort of impact foam behind it. The lower dashboard has crush structures all behind it.

The only thing you could potentially get rid of is maybe some sound insulation (but not all, much of it may double as necessary heat insulation), air conditioning, the radio (but you'd still need a screen for the mandatory rearview camera) and maybe a bunch of luxury electronics. They likely wouldn't change the harness much though, so the only real savings would be the A/C system.

Last edited by FrenchToast; 01-24-2019 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:39 AM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,170 Likes on 591 Posts

More I come back and look at the blue car the more I like it.... looks fantastic, especially from the front
Old 11-24-2018, 01:04 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Based on what has been posted, I can see no difference in the width of the greenhouse. What, exactly, is the difference?
Originally Posted by JMartinni
I don't think the greenhouse actually changed.
It definitely has. It's slightly more slit/vertically narrow.

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
...and the Sport Design mirrors are also much better looking than the 992 side mirror offering, in my opinion. What is with the shape of the mirror on the 992? It just is not as harmonious to the eye (my eyes, anyway) in comparison to the rounded mirror on the 991.
Good eye. Don't like the new "generic boxy" new mirrors. Porsche parts should always be stylized, and IMO appropriately round, like the 991 mirrors. I feel the same way about the interior rearview mirrors. The 991.2's use a square, generic style mirror that could be out of a Ford or GM. The 991.1 and "older" Porsche's have a distinctively round and stylish rearview mirror that is exclusively a "Porsche look."

Funny, Doug Demuro said just the opposite after seeing one for the first time. Said exactly what many of us have felt, it doesn’t look like a minor refresh, but an entirely new car and much more modern.
Doug Demuro is that "1%" who will notice. In fact, he's that .00000000001% who will look for differences so closely to come home and write about it. And I don't think he really knows what he's talking about, considering how he basically gave up credibility here when stating "previous 911's all look alike, but this looks different." The 997 to 991 is a fundamentally much larger change. In person, the 992 and 991 could be interchangeable at the side angle to even car enthusiasts (I scanned the doors and fenders of the 992 I saw in all its bare glory.. in my dream.. and kneeled down at the same angles I'm at when I wash my car, for a good 20 minutes to take it all in. Even to me, save for the slightly narrower greenhouse, the sheetmetal is identical to 991 4S body work, proportions aside). The vast majority of the masses won't even be able to notice the front difference. It's a 911, after all. That's the whole point and charm of the car. You get one, and it always looks timeless and modern in its 911 vacuum. Of course the 992 is an all new model from the ground up. But the design language is very much 991-continued.

Oh, mine either, no doubt. Until she sat inside at least.

That blue looks pretty close to sapphire blue, maybe darker. Wonder what it is called. Glasurit is down and that is where I got all my new Porsche color info.
Almost Aqua Blue ish (but not as perfect, of course ).
Old 11-24-2018, 01:08 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Go watch Demuro's review of the 991 GT2 RS. He gets so many things wrong you wonder if it was his first Vlog.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:51 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

They’re entirely different looking cars and nobody’s gonna confuse that plasticky Tron rear end with a 991.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:14 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Go watch Demuro's review of the 991 GT2 RS. He gets so many things wrong you wonder if it was his first Vlog.
It's America in 2018.. You're surprised that an ill-informed, hyperbolic character is rewarded with success and power? Lol.

They’re entirely different looking cars and nobody’s gonna confuse that plasticky Tron rear end with a 991.
Well yes, the rear is the biggest giveaway. But still, people will see a general shape and not focus on the details. Most people couldn't tell a difference between a C300 and an S65 Coupe.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:25 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Still waiting for a Porsche version of the lotus Exige. Make mine cup430 flavor please.
100% agreed Porsche need to make a genuine stripper with the option of a road legal full cage (yes this can done to FIA standard) or half cage - it needs to be full fat e.g. the 3l turbo in full fat guise (as in the 992 engine but pushing out 600Nm/550HP) with PDK-S, RWD and aero. No sound deadening, track pack options and options on seats, options on brakes etc. I'd take this over the current GT3 everyday of the week.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:51 AM
ruuddevil
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
"Alex, I'll take 'painted rear bumper valence' for $550 please!"
I really don’t understand why Porsche chose to keep this black. Its like going back to the 80s.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:06 AM
Cautery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another stolen official (half) pic! 😍

Old 11-24-2018, 07:22 AM
K-A
Drifting

These hideous new extremely squared/boxy front bumpers that we saw launched on the 718's are a terribly uncharacteristic design from THE quintessential timeless brand. And I know EXACTLY why they're designing (forcing) them onto their otherwise rounded, smooth, organic and timeless architectures. It all has to do with EV's. I've seen concepts and design pitches of future EV Porsches, and these bumpers are a clear segway into what will be very nondescript, squared EV bumpers. Right now, they're trying to "disguise" their characteristically large air dams into being black, rectangular voids in the middle of their bumpers. EV models will simply fill those voids with solid bumper. They're literally sacrificing frontal design on their new ICE cars via having EV product mapping in clear mind when designing them.

Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE