Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Old 11-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Cautery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sf-911
Will European Delivery be available right away on the 992? Or will there be a delay before it is offered?
The C4S are expected to be delivered to dealers from end of March.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:33 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
Where did this PCA editor complain about ICEs? Panorama? Which issue?
The latest one
Old 11-19-2018, 03:01 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Good points and all in good fun.

In my mind the EV is more akin to a horse today (for now anyway). It can't go nearly the long distances compared to my ICE without a lot of breaks (oats, water and exhaustion ),....and you never really know when it is on its last leg (Texas in summertime), and most of the time you won't be able to find a barn, err charging station for it,.....at least where I drive for fun, which is usually far away from metro areas. It's performance often degrades as exhaustion sets in, and when it does need the rest (recharge) it takes a lot longer compared to filling up in 5 minutes and being on my way for another very long care free distance. I'm sure the solution will be to setup EV ranches across the US where you simply ride (drive) your EV to the next station, trade it out for a fresh one and continue your journey (autonomous pony express). To me, the EV is the one still on the archaic side. They will get better over time for sure, but by then I hope even newer technologies take hold.

Until I can get ~350 miles or more in one feeding, and feed in 5 minutes or less....I'll forgo the horse for my ICE (Oats for my daily drive ICE just went below $2 here in Texas!, drives all the EV'ers nuts) No, I don't want 80% in 15 minutes, I want 100% in 5 before I even begin thinking of an EV. Maybe it will happen!

I'm sure as the tide turns, and the EV eco party parades on,.....more and more "editors" will fold and start to fly in formation,....after all they are just saving their job, if they speak out they will just be canned for not riding the EV tide.
Funny.

We'll need something with a bigger kick than Li-ion for that. Hey, at least this isn't a boat forum, with idiots suggesting lithium powered boats!
Old 11-19-2018, 03:23 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
Funny.

We'll need something with a bigger kick than Li-ion for that. Hey, at least this isn't a boat forum, with idiots suggesting lithium powered boats!
You actually bring up a fantastic point. Speaking of boats, there are millions of people all over the world committed to a technology dating back to like 5 thousand years ago, that is wind that blows into a sail. How archaic is that!?! More like prehistoric! They must be a bunch of morons, I wonder why they don't all embrace the motor boat revolution.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:24 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Well, he probably hasn't ever driven a two to four hour stint at full noise in the dark and in the rain - with some one at full ham behind him. 's an EV.
Not sure that's a ringing endorsement.

If I'm driving for 4 hours, in the dark and rain, the full noise is fatiguing and not an experience that adds to the drive. Unless you're racing a 24 hour race or something, the vast majority of people driving for 2-4 hours, at night, in the weather don't need - and quite frankly, don't want full noise. And the rest of the driving population would probably prefer the driver isn't fatigued by all that noise.

That said, I agree with Rocket_boy. When I can get an EV with 350 miles or more and enough charge to make that 350 with a quick turn (I'd take 10 minutes; enough time to hit the head and grab a snack ), I'll jump.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:05 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I can't imagine jumping into a full EV until the infrastructure is in place nationally to support it as well as the current fossil fuel one we have now. I need to be able to drive to Rennsport and back again! But then again, I held onto my 1978 SC for 30 years until I was sure water cooled Porsches would actually work.

On the other hand, I would jump into a hybrid with the flexibility and performance say of a Turbo S if the price was right. I expect to see a 911 of some stripe like that well before a all electric 911. Make mine with a ~500 hp flat 3 ltr turbo gas engine + a 120 hp on demand electric motor and regenerative battery pack, please.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:18 PM
jackals02
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love they are going widebody all around. Never liked the look of the non 4 or turbo models.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:36 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,139 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by sf-911
Will European Delivery be available right away on the 992? Or will there be a delay before it is offered?
ED is available anytime the car is available for production. I've done two.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:50 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I would buy low tech, light weight, no options type vehicles brand new. Look at all the buzz the new Suzuki Jimny is getting and the success of the Jeep Wrangler. Heck, Land Rover sold defenders until a couple years ago with good success and that was a 35 year old design (arguably a 58 year old design). SUV’s like sportscars are lifestyle vehicles and, sure, you see loaded range rovers and G-wagens, but there is a distinct market for low tech old school and demand is high.

Porsche has the idea right, things like the R, the T and GT3 6MT, but they should really try to step it up another notch or three. I have some high hopes for the 718 T and GT4, and some less high hopes for the 992 T and GT3. How about “tech delete” with regular climate control (like a base boxster) and a basic radio? 6MT and NA, non-PLDS headlights, and a stripped out interior? Other than tech, the 992 should be no heavier than the 991 (the extra aluminium should compensate for the slight increase in size).
Old 11-20-2018, 10:32 AM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
Porsche has the idea right, things like the R, the T and GT3 6MT, but they should really try to step it up another notch or three. I have some high hopes for the 718 T and GT4, and some less high hopes for the 992 T and GT3. How about “tech delete” with regular climate control (like a base boxster) and a basic radio? 6MT and NA, non-PLDS headlights, and a stripped out interior? Other than tech, the 992 should be no heavier than the 991 (the extra aluminium should compensate for the slight increase in size).
Just go for the GT4 and get rid of every tech option available. Voila!

By the way: The weight increase from e.g. 1585 kg (C4S 991.2 with PDK) by 2.5% (30-50 kg) is NOT due to the wider body! Don't know why this hoax is constantly repeated. In fact Porsche was able to save a few kilograms on the bodywork! On the other hand, the new transmission and the more complex exhaust / filter system added a few more kilograms.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:13 PM
Cautery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DKST
By the way: The weight increase from e.g. 1585 kg (C4S 991.2 with PDK) by 2.5% (30-50 kg) is NOT due to the wider body!
Gym time then! 😆🤙🏻
Old 11-20-2018, 12:45 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 186 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DKST

By the way: The weight increase from e.g. 1585 kg (C4S 991.2 with PDK) by 2.5% (30-50 kg) is NOT due to the wider body!
Proves once again that Porsche can defy natural laws and deliver the American dream - wider hips with no weight gain.
Old 11-20-2018, 02:50 PM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by Thinc2
Proves once again that Porsche can defy natural laws and deliver the American dream - wider hips with no weight gain.
Wide hips have never been the problem. All about the waist:hip ratio and body fat percentage.

Old 11-20-2018, 03:11 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
I would buy low tech, light weight, no options type vehicles brand new. Look at all the buzz the new Suzuki Jimny is getting and the success of the Jeep Wrangler. Heck, Land Rover sold defenders until a couple years ago with good success and that was a 35 year old design (arguably a 58 year old design). SUV’s like sportscars are lifestyle vehicles and, sure, you see loaded range rovers and G-wagens, but there is a distinct market for low tech old school and demand is high.

Agreed. I love my T, but Porsche could/should have gone a step further... More weight reduction to give a more raw/analogue experience. Lighter weight and more stripped down. Engine from 991.1 C2 and the 6-speed manual box. Manual windows and seats. Smaller wheels. Bingo.
Old 11-20-2018, 03:35 PM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by Wing Commander

Agreed. I love my T, but Porsche could/should have gone a step further... More weight reduction to give a more raw/analogue experience. Lighter weight and more stripped down. Engine from 991.1 C2 and the 6-speed manual box. Manual windows and seats. Smaller wheels. Bingo.
The T is one step in the right direction. I hope they take five more.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE