Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Old 11-13-2018, 05:50 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
I, too, love that new metallic blue. I'm on the list for a 992 Targa and a Cab, and one of them will be that color. As for the "clam", I have no problem with it. I does what it's supposed to do, I will almost never see it when it's in the raised position, and I don't think other drivers will give 2 s**ts about it. My 991.2 sounds great to my ears, and I'm sure I'll be pleased with the new car. Archimedes, we get it. You hate the 992, the 991.2 and the general direction in which Porsche and the 911 is heading. Go to the forum of whatever car you actually like, whether it's Porsche or not, and exchange some useful information with other forum members. Your constant criticism of the 992 and Porsche in general on this forum is getting quite tiresome.
The blue does look good, hopefully Porsche offers some good selections with the 992,....they have been lacking in colors for years.

I could probably live with the clam, the 991.X spoiler simply looks better to my eye, the clam looks out of proportion, but if that is all they have, then so be it. Guess they felt the need to change it for some reason. Yes, I do care a lot about the way my car looks on the outside when driving, if not I'd just buy a Corvette and be done with it.

Most of the 991.2 cars don't sound "bad" IMO, (as opposed to the 718's) it's just that the 991.1 sounded so good it's hard to deal with. They were supposed to work on it a bit for the 992, but doesn't look they made much if any progress. (chalk it up to turbos),....and as you said, just the way it is moving forward. Hopefully they truly ditch the rumored/dreaded fake sounds through the speakers.

There's a good amount I really like about the 992, it just kinda seems like a zero sum game when it comes to good and bad though. (better front end, more plastic, more tech, interior content/quality reduced) For $150K or more, I don't want to just "deal" with these aspects any longer when they seem to be pretty unnecessary. Change, just for change sake or cost cutting with overall price increasing.

Wish the best of luck to all the 992 owners,....I'll wait a bit until a revised version comes out, maybe they will re-evaluate a few things that will draw me back in.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:56 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
The blue does look good, hopefully Porsche offers some good selections with the 992,....they have been lacking in colors for years.

I could probably live with the clam, the 991.X spoiler simply looks better to my eye, the clam looks out of proportion, but if that is all they have, then so be it. Guess they felt the need to change it for some reason. Yes, I do care a lot about the way my car looks on the outside when driving, if not I'd just buy a Corvette and be done with it.

Most of the 991.2 cars don't sound "bad" IMO, (as opposed to the 718's) it's just that the 991.1 sounded so good it's hard to deal with. They were supposed to work on it a bit for the 992, but doesn't look they made much if any progress. (chalk it up to turbos),....and as you said, just the way it is moving forward. Hopefully they truly ditch the rumored/dreaded fake sounds through the speakers.

There's a good amount I really like about the 992, it just kinda seems like a zero sum game when it comes to good and bad though. (better front end, more plastic, more tech, interior content/quality reduced) For $150K or more, I don't want to just "deal" with these aspects any longer when they seem to be pretty unnecessary. Change, just for change sake or cost cutting with overall price increasing.

Wish the best of luck to all the 992 owners,....I'll wait a bit until a revised version comes out, maybe they will re-evaluate a few things that will draw me back in.
but you haven’t even heard it yet.....or seen it...
Old 11-13-2018, 07:56 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy

but you haven’t even heard it yet.....or seen it...
It pretty much sounds just like a 991.2 does in many of the videos I've watched, not that much different if at all. Can it sound differently in real life? Absolutely!, but there's only so much you can do with with turbo engines. I'll remain hopeful Porsche was able to get it to sound a little better.

Unless they surprise everyone out there (maybe they will),....I'm pretty sure the front and rear will come with the shown amount of black plastic, and unless they offer a good amount of paint options for it, it just looks cheap IMO compared to most other high end brands,....even some that are way less expensive. Shame on Porsche for not doing away with all black plastic junk for a higher price. They did head the right direction with the 991.1 & 991.2, now seem to be back-tracking a bit.

Can't tell anything about the interior right now but if the rumors are true, where certain materials have now been downgraded in lieu of costly options, that is definitely not a plus. (and lets not mention the nubbin). Lets just see how it turns out though. Maybe they will have a true option for a shifter, and the rumors are not true.

When I first saw the 991 in pictures and later in person I was really a bit skeptical also (owned a 997.2) but I didn't get the cost-cutting / compromised feeling I'm getting with the 992.
With the 991 I was getting the "more for more $$$" feeling (the usual for Porsche). With the 992 I feel the performance will of course be better (great!), but from the looks I've seen they scrimped too much on everything else for me to just give it a passing grade at this time. Will be waiting to look, touch and listen when it finally breaks,.....but by no means want to be the first in line for this one.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:03 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

It pretty much sounds just like a 991.2 does in many of the videos I've watched, not that much different if at all. Can it sound differently in real life? Absolutely!, but there's only so much you can do with with turbo engines. I'll remain hopeful Porsche was able to get it to sound a little better.

Unless they surprise everyone out there (maybe they will),....I'm pretty sure the front and rear will come with the shown amount of black plastic, and unless they offer a good amount of paint options for it, it just looks cheap IMO compared to most other high end brands,....even some that are way less expensive. Shame on Porsche for not doing away with all black plastic junk for a higher price. They did head the right direction with the 991.1 & 991.2, now seem to be back-tracking a bit.

Can't tell anything about the interior right now but if the rumors are true, where certain materials have now been downgraded in lieu of costly options, that is definitely not a plus. (and lets not mention the nubbin). Lets just see how it turns out though. Maybe they will have a true option for a shifter, and the rumors are not true.

When I first saw the 991 in pictures and later in person I was really a bit skeptical also (owned a 997.2) but I didn't get the cost-cutting / compromised feeling I'm getting with the 992.
With the 991 I was getting the "more for more $$$" feeling (the usual for Porsche). With the 992 I feel the performance will of course be better (great!), but from the looks I've seen they scrimped too much on everything else for me to just give it a passing grade at this time. Will be waiting to look, touch and listen when it finally breaks,.....but by no means want to be the first in line for this one.
there is more black plastic on front and rear of gt2rs than on this car isn’t there? Why do you assume every change is about cost cutting? Curious
Old 11-13-2018, 08:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by tgcrun
Archimedes, we get it. You hate the 992...is getting quite tiresome.
I know, but the back of that yellow car in the video above just looks so fsckang stupid, I just can't help myself. I know I shouldn't be this angry at Porsche for butchering the 911 like this, but I am for some reason.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:20 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Good points, especially about the 'Vette. I also care about what my car looks like when I'm driving it, but I don't think the average person that sees it with the spoiler up even notices that there's a difference between the 991 and 992. I've owned two 991.1s in addition to my current 997.2 and 991.2. I know a lot of people don't like the sound of the turbo motor, but it's just fine with me. The extra power and RAS more than make up for it. I totally respect your reasoning behind not jumping into a 992, but I'm the type of person who loves getting a brand new car that's different from his old car. By the time the Cabs arrive, my 991 will be about 3 years old, which is generally when I like to get something new. We've owned my wife's 997 since early 2011. It's the longest we've ever owned a car, but she'd like a Targa (her first 911 was a new 1987 Guards Red Targa) when she retires and wants a brand new car.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:24 PM
hlvg
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I know, but the back of that yellow car in the video above just looks so fsckang stupid, I just can't help myself. I know I shouldn't be this angry at Porsche for butchering the 911 like this, but I am for some reason.
The car looks fine from most angles IMO but, I have to admit, that clam does not look good at all on those videos.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:15 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
MB looks good on 992. Lightens up some of the heaviness a bit.
A lot of that heaviness comes from the extra narrow glasshouse. Having seen the 992 in person, I think the 991's glasshouse looks better. 911's should never have "bunker" greenhouses, it defeats the whole essense of 911. The 991's windows are already narrow compared to previous 911's, so as it stands, it will be a sort of happy medium between the 997 gen and the 992.

Not sure that is even Agate,....kinda has a green-ish tinge to it,...but could be.

If it is a new grey they should name it "Awful Grey"
Just can't imagine how dull the US has gotten with colors lately. Stop at any intersection and all you find are multitudes of grey. Even the normal "safe" colors (black, white, silver) are now turning shades of grey.

light grey
off grey
grandma grey
middle grey
boulder grey
semi-middle grey
grandpa grey
dark grey
rock looking grey
stone grey
putrid grey

Kudos to those that pick a non-grey
LMAO. I honestly don't get the gray craze. I personally would never get a car in gray. It's basically like saying "I'll take mine in bland, please."

Originally Posted by Ccpecot

Loving the black!
Those poor hips! They're gonna get slaughtered. I mean, the 991 hips already are rock magnets and up close mine have plenty of rash, but the way those stick out.... carlord help them.

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
dude the nubbin is weak (in its current form), end of story. I don't want to be forced to shift using my pointer finger and thumb to pinch into drive

Haha. Werd.

Originally Posted by limegreen
I'm so tired of "change for the sake of change" . The "BMW" shifter spawned a movement in the entire industry for push button / rotary dials and those confusing/infuriating electronic shifters that add absolutely NO value or gain to the end user other than to produce a needless and complex arrangement that requires re learning how to put a car into gear..... Why? Why? Why?
Agreed.

EXCELLENT side by sides. This is what I'm waiting for. Need more side by sides.

Originally Posted by DKST
Another quick Photoshop comparison:
AWESOME! IMO, the only angle of the 991 that will maybe look even remotely "prior generation" is the rear. Every other angle, the 991 will look just as good, or better (the front is debatable, but no doubt the 991 looks more cohesive). The rear of the 992 is a lot busier and more blingy. I can maybe say that I will come around to liking that rear more, but I feel up front I will stay more 991, and the sides are pretty much identical, save for a slightly narrower greenhouse, and interestingly, the lower crease under the 992's door is a little lower and maybe ever so slightly sharper. Very small stuff.

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Agreed, that whole fender swallowing the headlight look is bad. Real bad. Too many lines going all over the place in different directions. Looks cheap. Something in in the sub 20k new car segment.

However, in time Porsche will make a refresh or some kind of fascia that will fix it all. They actually already have it but they just not showing us yet.
Agreed. The whole shutline joinings within the 992 front look cluttered, haphazard, clunky and busy. It serves a certain effect, but my eyes are just not vibing with it, as compared to the 991 front, it looks more inherently design flawed. It will look good in its way, but cohesive is another matter.

Little Photoshop quicky comparing a 991.2 with 20" Turbo wheels to the (presumably) 992 C4S:

Great job! Not sure if they're completely to-scale accurate, but looks pretty damn close. The front of the 991 just looks so much better to me.

A
Front arches gap look a tiny bit tighter on the 991.2 with 20” front and back wheels. Might be the photo or my bad eyesight...

Excellent comparison there too. The 991 rear actually looks nicer there to me. Although I still have a feeling that maaaaybe the rear of the 992 is the only angle I'll prefer over the 991 (the rest, likely either 991 or a wash between both, depending on how I like the 992 on the roads). Maaaybe.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:05 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

If only Miami Blue looked as good in person as it does in pics...
Old 11-14-2018, 03:15 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
If only Miami Blue looked as good in person as it does in pics...
With many colours, including my own Racing Yellow, the car looks really different depending on lighting conditions. Am sure the same applies to MB. To me, my car looks best in the early evening twilight.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:58 PM
rafatce97
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-14-2018, 06:00 PM
rafatce97
6th Gear

Old 11-14-2018, 06:01 PM
rafatce97
6th Gear