992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE

Old 10-29-2018, 12:09 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing I do not like about any of the new Porsche cars is the "bmw" shifter on the PDK. It's just terrible.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:40 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by blk on blk
One thing I do not like about any of the new Porsche cars is the "bmw" shifter on the PDK. It's just terrible.
I'm so tired of "change for the sake of change" . The "BMW" shifter spawned a movement in the entire industry for push button / rotary dials and those confusing/infuriating electronic shifters that add absolutely NO value or gain to the end user other than to produce a needless and complex arrangement that requires re learning how to put a car into gear..... Why? Why? Why?
Old 10-29-2018, 12:44 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

One thing that is interesting to me is how high tech the interior feels and how that will play out in terms of how the 992 ages (I guess the same goes for just about all cars these days). Looking at the 964/993 sure the interior is definitely dated, but there is something timeless there that 20+ years later still appeals to me and makes sense IMO. A lot of charm, a bit vintage. There is still demand and buyers for those cars. When you have a 992.1 that is 5-10+ years old, how will the tech operate/look/feel/age? The tech is arguably the part that ages the most in a car to me, from 996/997 its the PCM or little displays and with the 991 it will be the PCM/digital dial on the dash. With the 992 its everywhere! Just an interesting thought.

Also - kind of sad to see the cupholder. Feels like they are selling out, loved the German ingenuity with the cupholders in the 991. I will laugh pretty hard if the nubbin actually makes it all the way to production, I can't believe PAG would do that to the 911. Also if confirmed all 992s will be wide body and have the lightbar, I will miss that differentiating element between the 2/2S and 4/4S models. I like that you can get different quirks/variations between the model lineup, helps justify the 30 variants they make and a flavor for everyone

The gulf / Meissen blue looking color is very cool, but not sure how well it suits the very high tech nature of the 992 personally... Looking to move on from my 991.2 C4 next year and will be paying close attention to the 992 either way
Old 10-29-2018, 01:20 PM
golfinaz
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone else bothered by that weird black cutout thing high on the rear bumper? Just looks like it messes up the flow of the whole rear and. Think that’s just camo? God I hope so🙏🏻!
Old 10-29-2018, 01:30 PM
Wing Commander
Drifting

Received 1,175 Likes on 431 Posts

+1 on just about all of the above, sampelligrino

Any of us could just jump into any 911 from the last 20+ years and feel immediately at home, and be able to drive off more or less straight away.

From experience, cars like the current Panamera and Cayenne, plus the incoming Macan, have a lot more tech, so we’re more likely to need an instruction session before hitting the road in any of these (as a Porsche courtesy car for example).
Old 10-29-2018, 03:15 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by blk on blk
Originally Posted by limegreen
I'm so tired of "change for the sake of change" . The "BMW" shifter spawned a movement in the entire industry for push button / rotary dials and those confusing/infuriating electronic shifters that add absolutely NO value or gain to the end user other than to produce a needless and complex arrangement that requires re learning how to put a car into gear..... Why? Why? Why?
What's the big deal? Why not? Should we have just stuck with column shifters for manuals because we were familliar with them? A lever is no longer required to move a cable, so why still have one?

I don't get the angst on electronic shifters, except that some definitely suck. But most I have tried are fine. The BMW one is fine, takes like zero seconds to learn and is quickly second nature. Same with the Merc shifter on the column.

If it leaves more room in the center console, than go for it. Or hell, even if it just looks better, I'm all for it. As long as it works well. Volvo's is dumb. I'm not fond of the rotary ones because it's tough to tell what you did without looking. But the BMW one is intuitive, as is the Acura / Honda pushbutton, and so is the Porsche's one for the PDK. After you've literally driven the car twice, you forget about it.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:56 PM
arek
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
What's the big deal? Why not? Should we have just stuck with column shifters for manuals because we were familliar with them? A lever is no longer required to move a cable, so why still have one?

I don't get the angst on electronic shifters, except that some definitely suck. But most I have tried are fine. The BMW one is fine, takes like zero seconds to learn and is quickly second nature. Same with the Merc shifter on the column.

If it leaves more room in the center console, than go for it. Or hell, even if it just looks better, I'm all for it. As long as it works well. Volvo's is dumb. I'm not fond of the rotary ones because it's tough to tell what you did without looking. But the BMW one is intuitive, as is the Acura / Honda pushbutton, and so is the Porsche's one for the PDK. After you've literally driven the car twice, you forget about it.
The problem for me is that you're no longer able to shift using the lever when in manual mode and are forced to use paddles.

I drive my 991 in manual PDK 99% of the time and shift using the lever unless I'm doing spirited driving and want to keep my hands on the wheel.

I won't be able to do that anymore in 992 and the reasons for taking that function away seem to be cosmetic, which goes against the whole function-over-form thing.

Whether it's mechanical or electronic, I don't care, as long as it provides the functionality I need and has a haptic feel.

Time to go back to manual I guess.
Old 10-29-2018, 06:11 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

dude the nubbin is weak (in its current form), end of story. I don't want to be forced to shift using my pointer finger and thumb to pinch into drive

Old 10-29-2018, 06:16 PM
arek
Instructor

Originally Posted by JMartinni
There is one.

One thing I wonder looking at this picture is that manual seems to have much less space for the touch controls around it. So little that I can't imagine them actually having any buttons there.

If that's the case, all that empty space will look awful with the tiny PDK nubbin.

Argh, the suspense is killing me. Show us this thing already Porsche!
Old 10-29-2018, 07:44 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

^ Who started the rumor that there would be magic buttons around the shifter?
Old 10-30-2018, 04:01 AM
arek
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
^ Who started the rumor that there would be magic buttons around the shifter?
Not sure, mostly because of Panamera/Cayenne I guess, so it was expected that 911 would get the same treatment.

But maybe you're right -- no buttons are visible in any of the spy shots, even though ignition is on.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:33 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
Excellent points!
Old 10-30-2018, 07:28 AM
coolhandshin
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by arek
One thing I wonder looking at this picture is that manual seems to have much less space for the touch controls around it. So little that I can't imagine them actually having any buttons there.

If that's the case, all that empty space will look awful with the tiny PDK nubbin.

Argh, the suspense is killing me. Show us this thing already Porsche!

Exactly my thoughts!

Unlike the new Panamera, those black panels don't seem to have any touch switches.
The manual is taking up too much space and the emergency test car electronics kill switch also invades that area
and not one interior spy shot has any light lit up there.

What a waste of space! (or beauty of space?)
Old 10-30-2018, 02:59 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
dude the nubbin is weak (in its current form), end of story. I don't want to be forced to shift using my pointer finger and thumb to pinch into drive

I wasn't talking about the nubbin. Agree, it's weaksauce. I was talking about electronic shifters in general.
Old 10-30-2018, 05:25 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coolhandshin
Exactly my thoughts!

Unlike the new Panamera, those black panels don't seem to have any touch switches.
The manual is taking up too much space and the emergency test car electronics kill switch also invades that area
and not one interior spy shot has any light lit up there.

What a waste of space! (or beauty of space?)
In that case, I hope there's a leather wrap option.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2020 NEXT GENERATION 992 SPY PICS & RELEASE